Forums > Social Chat > Proper clothing for fire twirling...

Login/Join to Participate

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
I was wondering what the proper clothing would be for fire twirling. Obviously, if I wear something loose, I could become a human fireball. So, I should probably wear something close to my skin. But, what material? Polyester has a tendency to char and burn into a plastic like crust. So, what should I do?~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
i think this was discussed elsewhere...but basically, natural fibers like cotton and wool and leather (not a fiber) are good. synthetic stuff melts and is sort of bad. polartech fleece will catch on fire. flowy, lightweight gauzy stuff is flammable. but then i wear a coin scarf which is sort of gauzy but i tuck the dangling ends in so they dont get caught up.you can make your hair less flammable by wetting it down or putting a scarf over it or wearing a hat. or you can be like me and have short hair so it doesnt matter too much if you singe a little bit of it smilePeregrine

firenomadmember
26 posts

Posted:
What do you northern hemisphere people wear when twirling in the cold (like the snow type cold)? and doesn't lots of layers restrict your movement?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Heavy cotton/wool, thermal under-thingies,jeans, heavy socks and sometimes a leather coat for me. It's not really layering since movement heats you up, ya know? At least that's me. Have fun in your winter!!! wink------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
how do you think we found out fleece catches on fire? smileyeah, usually in winter wear thermal underwear under cotton leggings or pants...still wear fleece because its about all i own. its the keeping fingers warm part thats hard...discovered that holding onto a pair of those hand warmer thingies really helps that.why am i awake at 4:30 am?Peregrine

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
I have an astounding tolerance for cold. I even walk around in the snow bare-foot. smile So, when it comes to wearing clothing for poi in the winter, I'll just wear the stuff I always wear. i.e. Jeans and a T-Shirt. wink~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

firenomadmember
26 posts

Posted:
Do gloves work or do you lose all sensitivity? I know jugglers use them when first learning clubs.I forgot about thermals, we don't have a lot of need for them down under.

firenomadmember
26 posts

Posted:
I forgot to sign off. how rude of me. - firenomad

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
i would die without gloves in the winter. also, i wear them when the blisters get too bad. (incidentally, i finally figured out why i get such bad blisters. it's cause i spin heavy ass poi!) i *should* wear thin wool knit gloves, but instead i wear these really thin glove liners - like you get at a mountain climbing store. good: they're really non-restrictive. bad: they melt. i really should just go out and get a thin pair of wool fiber ones. i know they make them...for clothes in the winter i usually wear cotton pants and thick socks, and a cotton thermal shirt, occasionally a fleece over that but not directly against my skin. usually that's enough, cause the fire's warm and the activity keeps you goin. well, and gloves!

kmactanemember
97 posts

Posted:
For spinning in cold conditions, I like to wear this stretchy silk t-shirt my girlfriend got me from a place called Wintersilks. They have a Web site at www.wintersilks.com , and they basically sell practically any and all kinds of garments -- including exercise wear, t-shirts, long johns, tights, and so on -- made out of silk. Which is nice, warm stuff.Plus, it's easily as thin as nylon, dacron, or spandex -- in other words, it's the kind of stuff that you can just layer and layer until you're warm, and still not mess with your flexibility. And it's a natural fiber, and hence reasonably non-flammable.I highly recommend the stuff.(This has not been a paid advertisement; I have no financial relationship at all with Wintersilks. I just like their merchandise.)--Kai.