Forums > Social Chat > Romance & Courtesy is dead = nurse- 10cc's of adrenaline, STAT!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Along came feminism, bye bye went romance. Seriously!

What happened to the days of chivalry, when a man would sweep you off your feet? lay a cloak over a puddle before you, open doors for you or fight to the death for your honour and your heart?

Girl power is all very well (although a little too 1997) but when strong female attitudes arrived, romance began to die. Men have become scared to help out a lady in fear of offending her.

The world's gone too PC, and its ridiculous! It certainly explains why some people are so bloody rude and let me struggle one handed trying to get a buggy through a tiny shop door!

mad2

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Blayzen ButterflyGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
Here! Here!

I couldn't agree more! clap

"You dozed, and watched the night revealing
The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted"

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Thats something that I've noticed aswell (even if I've done my best to ignore it and I'll open doors and pull out chairs til the day i die)

But I've often eventually had to surrender and at least go dutch on meals / going out. When did it become a bad thing to want to pay for an evening out ?

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Ah yeah...them romantic ones are hard to find these days, they are a dying breed...but there are still a few around.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Rubbish!!
Why wait for romance? We gotta make it happen lay-dees! I agree men are a bit feeble nowadays, but I think if you want love, you gotta grab it, be smooth and suave (like me!!) :P

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
I do agree that men should show respect but girls it works both ways.
men get bored of running around after girls who just want a free ride. if you want love you both have to put your self out for it. people dont seem to have as much respect as they used to its a shame.

life is what you make it and what you want it to be

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Dunno, I wouldn't exactly make a point of rushing forwards to open doors etc especially car doors (that particular idea I think is from days when cars were actually difficult to get into with a skirt on whatever), but if I'm at a door & someone's gonna walk through I'll hold it open for a bit, it's just polite.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
equal opportunity's.................women say they are as good and as equal as any man, thus..................OPEN THE BLOODY DOOR YOURSELVES YOU LAZY MOO'S

hahahaha tongue

(joke!!!! this is not my real view on this)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Usually open the door for everyone in need, hold it open for everyone coming along... maybe oldskool shrug but as for the rest it's true - also my chivalry has decreased and been sucked up in too many one way roads... hence it shouldn't make a difference.... Now you got me thinking: should I offer the ladyboy next to me a lighter without him/her asking for it, as s/he pulls a cigarette out right in this very moment?.... wink Ya, what the heck - it doesn't mean a thing anyways...

clap shoshanah and jo clap

@pen: right - since when is it a bad thing for a girl to pay for the evening out? wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
opening the door/ helping people with luggage/ buggys is just a nice thing to do to help people, even if you don't know them. As for the rest of it, fighting to the death is a little outdated, we don't wear cloaks anymore (well except on special occasions) and you must be joking if you think I'm going to chuck an 80
quid jacket on a puddle so you can step on it and get your feet wet anyway! And also sweeping women off their feet can result in back pain, law suits and abduction charges!

On another note, there are some pram wielders that can be annoying:

The ones that steer straight at you/ across your path, forcing you to sidestep out of the way

The people who leave their pram out on the tube when it's totally packed, while carrying the baby. These people confused the hell out of me

The above are a couple of examples taken from incidents in London, and of course I in am in no way accusing all people with prams of such behaviour

(all the above is very much wink )

The whole, 'who pays' thing is a bit wierd. Usually the girls you ACTUALLY want to go out with tend to make a fuss over the bloke paying. The ones who just say, 'Yeah, ok' are just taking you along for a ride. And the ones who insist on paying.... well they're a keeper! wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
good point Lazy Angel, also, if you're after a nice lass like me, get me a take away and i'm yours! wink

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
clap @ lazyangel

prams are my worst enemy.

i was in a department stor not so long back looking at something when this silly woman catches me in the ankle pretty hard, the kid wakes up and starts crying and she starts haveing a go at me!!!!

wtf did i do wrong???

also when working on the streets as a scaffolder i would see no end of women with prams trying to cross a road by going between the cab of our lorry and the back of the car infront, pushing the pram out into the road before lookin if it was clear confused

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
There are a few of us romantics left, but the problem is, women say thats what they want and ignor it when it's infront of them, thats what i've found anyway

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I think you're right Simon. I think all anyone wants is a bit of love and appreciation. (let me go into Aretha Franklin mode) and a little R E S P E C T! wooo!

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Chivalry died at the same moment as Emily Wilding Davison.

Written by: TinklePants

What happened to the days of chivalry, when a man would sweep you off your feet? lay a cloak over a puddle before you, open doors for you or fight to the death for your honour and your heart?

Anyway. I'm not totally convinced that these Golden Days ever existed (such is the problem with any Golden Era...) and I'm sure that the asssumption that women were weak, coy animals that need to be coxed into a relationship with a man

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tinklepants

If I could be sure that arguments would not ensue, then I'd do all of the above. Well, except the fighting to the death... maybe punching him in the throat and ramming his head into the table... biggrin

Call me judgemental, but you seem to be bemoaning two different things: The death of Romance and the death of common courtesy. I'd say they both still exist, but your example only really covers one of these... smile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Sometimes i think that if a girls is seen to be loving romance SHE is critisised for being high maintenece or demeaning her own sex or exposing herself to riddicule of some form.

...cos I know thats how I feel sometimes and I LOVE romance! I don't mean the whole coat over a puddle sort of thing; i just mean small things. Don't ask me for examples right now, but it can still be done without a fuss being made.

One of my guys friends posted a rant about this on a forum my friends used to be one.

This is the link. If it doesn't work it's cos it's members only. Let me know and I'll post it elsewhere.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna be mean but....

blah blah blah...

People (both men and women) are complicated critters and no one really knows what someone else wants until they ask or until they are told. Some women want romance, some women don't. Same goes with men. Some people have completely different definitions of what is romantic. Personally whilst I don't say "no" to flowers, when I say I want more romance in my life it generally means I want more alone time spent with that person.

If you want romance, and want it in a certain form, say so. If the person you are requesting it from is not capable of or willing to give it, then find someone who is. But don't blame them for their philosophy/ability.

Don't expect people to have E.S.P. about what you want from them. Simple.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

tillymoomember
107 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pen Draven

But I've often eventually had to surrender and at least go dutch on meals / going out. When did it become a bad thing to want to pay for an evening out ?

if i particularly like a guy i do let them pay if they offer, only so i can say 'next time it is my turn to pay' and that sets up a second date!

i'm all about strategy and laying the foundations!...unfortunatly i have quite a lot of foundations laid, but not much structure built on them
frown

"A Thnead's a fine thing that all people need"
Dr Suess

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yeah - it's all about strategy ... nothing has changed significantly over the past... errm 20.000 years... wink

tillymoo: you may have to add - "and next time is on xx.xx.2005 - allright for you?" wink guys sometimes like it if the girl takes at least a part of the lead - as the nice ones don't want to be intrusive and pushy.. wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
"AVARST LASSE, allow me to open the door while laying down my jacket and sweeping you off your feet!"

is it just me or is it only jugglers that can manage this three fold task?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

Written by: Tinklepants

Call me judgemental, but you seem to be bemoaning two different things: The death of Romance and the death of common courtesy. I'd say they both still exist, but your example only really covers one of these... smile

You're on the ball, eh?
ubblol thats exactly what I'm meaning.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
It used to be that women stayed at home and looked after there men cooked them meals and ran them a bath. At the end of the day men would work hard and use romance to show apprecation. Things however have changed as this is now an old way of looking at things. how do you apprecate each outher when you both work hard and argue over the washing up. This is just a thought i dont think women should stay at home if they dont want to and like the fact that i can have my own money .
To many women forget it works both ways now.
To many men forget that you need to be romantic to keep your love alive.

and buggies like cars depends on the driver

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
Dylan Moran does I nice thing about romance

Rough quote:

Men are the real romantics. It's men that say things like "I love her utterly, I can't bare not to be with her. If I can't have her I won't be complete that is such a terrible thing that without her I don't see how I can exist." That's how women feel about shoes...

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I have four pairs of shoes. a pair of ankle boots, one pair of knee high boots which are beyond repair, two pairs of trainers, one a few months old, the other three years old. Now what the hell does that say about me? It means I'm low maintainnce, thats what! ubblol

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
The lov I feel between me and my shoes is a special bond, I don't expect a man to understand wink

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
lol i get moaned at for tacking 7 pairs on holiday but it doesnt mean im not romantic. Men just dont put as much thought in to an outfit as women were as we spend a lot of time trying to look good for them and our selfs of corse so shoes play a big part.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
but the part i find amusing is that guys find us just as hot when we can't be arsed and rock up in trackies and a hoodie! so why the hell do we even bother!

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
Verry true but then there heads turn when a girl all done up goes past

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
And that's where they annoy and confuse the hell out of me!!!

shoshanahSILVER Member
enthusiast
232 posts

Posted:
men are drawn to the way women look were as women tend to be more interested in mined and men are not verry good at hiding it when they are looking at other girls but that is life.

Page: