Page:
molabnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hi,
I've seen this site a few times and have seen some people spinning staff down in the city a few times at night, It's always beeng great to watch and now I'm considering investing in a fire staff to learn some moves and enjoy myself.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any guidelines on how long it takes to become decent, and if they'd recommend any course of learning, like what to buy etc?
I've just started unicycling, so I'm looking for something else new to pick up that works out my arms smile
Thanks again

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
question: having just started, when should the shoulders start cooperating?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

question: having just started, when should the shoulders start cooperating?

What do you mean by that?

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
when you've practiced wink also i advise you broom handlers to whack a tennis ball on the end as it makes the weight distribution MUCH nicer biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

3,556 posts

Posted:
oooh but i so enjoy getting hit in the face with the sharp ends...now i have to get new tennis balls, because i am not taking apart the socks

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Zolgar_the_InsaneSILVER Member
22 posts

Posted:
>.> I started with a quarter staff. 6' (about 2 meters) long, and weighs alot. Built the arm muscle up nicely, and Istill play with it.

If you don't want something that heavy, then deffinately go with the broom stick. Broom stick is good, I play with one at work when I can.

.... Though I could take my real staff to work, boss might get mad though. (it's nice and portable)

To "get decent" depends on your meaning of decent, I find the staff to be easy to work with it's predictable and won't tangle on you (unlike say Poi). I did my first burn like 2 weeks after getting the fire staff, but I'd been working with a quarter staff off and on for a couple years before.

The exact time it'll take depends on how fast you learn, how good yoru hand eye coordination is, how much time you have to devote to practicing, and, ofcourse how good you want to be before you burn.

But remember. No matter how good someone is, they always started out a beginer, and no matter how good you are, you can still get better. (And still screw up. wink )

There's a fine line between genius and insanity.

.... I ran away from the genius side.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
agreed Strugz still lets slip the occasional conveyor much to my chagrin...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

3,556 posts

Posted:
does anyone have suggestions on spinning in winter outside...since i'm still learning, i stub my fingers alot and because it's cold (sometimes) it stings all the way down my arm...
my mother will not let me practice inside and gloves get in the way
i might need to give up staff till it warms up frown

Faith

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Toughen up faith, and motorcross gloves.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

3,556 posts

Posted:
ooh but it hurts frown
hmmm maybe i can borrow bfs

Faith

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
I can't argue with that.

3,556 posts

Posted:
that it hurts or that i should borrow my bfs gloves

Faith

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
That it hurts, not too fond of catching tennis ball poi in the ear either. If you can handle the staff with his gloves go for it, it should help some.

3,556 posts

Posted:
i don't mind the tennis balls, it feels more like a slap

Faith

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:
Their not bad if your ears arn't frozen

3,556 posts

Posted:
hats and bandanas keep ears warm and don't get in the way

Faith

Page: