Page:
molabnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hi,
I've seen this site a few times and have seen some people spinning staff down in the city a few times at night, It's always beeng great to watch and now I'm considering investing in a fire staff to learn some moves and enjoy myself.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any guidelines on how long it takes to become decent, and if they'd recommend any course of learning, like what to buy etc?
I've just started unicycling, so I'm looking for something else new to pick up that works out my arms smile
Thanks again

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
It all depends on the person and what you have done previously, I know people who have literally just picked up a fire staff and been amazing, and for someone like myself who had done martial arts for many years, fire staff was only a small transition...
As for what to buy, check the HOP store they have many great beginners items.
Also do a thread search for how to make your own staffs if your looking for a slightly cheaper option.
Finally if you want to learn, get the basics from the 'lessons' section of this site or speak to the people you see in the city, they'll probably be more than happy to teach you or even recommend a place nearby where you can learn...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
ditto

I'd recommend making your own practice one (cheaply) then playing with that for a month. If you're not bored by then, get a fire staff and use that.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
make sure you mark your middle bit, or it'll take quite a lot longer to work out why something isnt happing quite perfectly

&*^&*^£$£^^ silicone not mixing with pens or tape, i have no middle markings now frown

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
carve your markings in with a knife wink

MokaGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Or use one of those silver-paint pens that all graffiti artists love...

Harry_PotterToadStool Circus Acts
181 posts

Posted:
A Broom handle is always good, cost about 79p from quicksave, this website has a great load of videos and tutorials u can find to help you learning tha basics.
Dont forget to check out mcp's website https://mcp.tepookatoys.com/
to be inspired and learn the sexual tricks after the basics.

Written by: The Misguided Oracle

carve your markings in with a knife wink

Careful you dont cut yourself.

Also you said you unicycle, from my view and this could be completely wrong but it might be really hard to do staffing whilst on a unicycle. Have you tried juggling. Thats fun, i do that, or maybe contact juggling on a unicycle, god that could look amazing. These are only ideas. But things like juggling are using your hands mainly and incorporating it with unicycling could look good. But please pick up a stick. Its fun. Especially when you get good enough for fire. Wow is all i shall say about that.

Yo-yoist, Staffer and 3 Ball and Club Juggling
'Its people like us, who make them feel talentless.'

MokaGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Written by: Harry_Potter

A Broom handle is always good

I think a broom handle is probably what most people on this forum started with... lol
Might be worth a poll... ubbloco

LordMattmanBRONZE Member

Posted:
Hay Molab
i just bought a professional fire staff from some1 other than HOP redface
and it cost me around au$80
i thought that was alright
just waiting for it to get here!
pm me if u wanna swap messages coz im just learnin to!
thanks

molabnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Well, A few weeks down the track I have been using a broom stick to pass the time and i've gotten down a solid spin and am practicing my passing behind, figure 8 and side to side.
i must say i am loving using a proper firestick and am getting ready to fire it up.
looking forward to learning more tricks and staying part of this forum...

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I just got the breakdown staff from HoP the other day, I just used it for the first time last night. It's got a different feel from my practice staff... floppy maybe? It spun nice, but I couldn't do any of the contact moves I'd learned. Nice staff though, and the two end coming off makes it easy to soak. I reccomend it.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

EpsilonKiasNote to self... Fur + Fire = Hurt.
107 posts

Posted:
Written by: Moka

Written by: Harry_Potter

A Broom handle is always good

I think a broom handle is probably what most people on this forum started with... lol
Might be worth a poll... ubbloco

I started with PVC piping myself. I put a nice wooden base in it to keep it from breaking and volia! Insta practice/Glowstaff. Not much money put into it (Around 3.20$ US) Im making a doubles set as I type this.

Im not good enough to really do much fire (I've done fire. Just didnt do any contact so it was mainly tosses and fig8's and the ilk.)

Though im gonna make one myself. Just need the cash to get the materials =D

greensoxBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
I just started with a wooden stick I found at work, then I brought at practise staff online (£25 all together inc. shipping!) and it's working out pretty good atm smile

Feel good saying of the week :

*Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission*

buzzingtalkMember
152 posts

Posted:
im looking into starting staff, my ex played with a broomstick every day since he was 7 and now he can have 2 6ft going at the same time, and do all kinds of throwing behind the back and stuff. imna do it when summer comes, then i have more motivation ( i dont have a garden so when i wanna practice i have to go to the park or something)

Kiss me now, You're beatiful, For these days are truly the last.

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
you can make a decent staff for around a tenner, i use a broom handle i stole form my college coated in duct tape so it doesnt burn, wrapped a bit of aluminium sheet round the ends followed by half a metre of kevvlar on each end (brought from here, £7.50 a metre). spent £2.99 on tennis raquet grip. hey presto staff for a tenner. i dont really see the point in buying a staff for £40 quid when you can make one which is essentially just as good (may not be as pretty, but when its on fire who really cares!) its two years old, hasnt snapped or shown any signs of doing so, fair enough its a touch bent but that'll happen to any staff. safe

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

JilavreGOLD Member
32 posts

Posted:
I've been doing poi for six months, my friends who spin use stick, I caved into temptation today and went and bought myself a shiny stick, i needed more toys anyway right?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
OF course you do! You can never have enough toys! smile

I have bene thinking of trying to pick up staff (oops have I just made it not cool for all you people lol) I found two lovley looking broom handles around the farm and I was wondering how exactly do you work out your staffs ideal length? I dont want to start a new thread so I thought ide hi-jack this one.

Gonna try a little experiment with the second (slightly cleaner newer one), cut in in half maybie(?) drill two holes in both ends and thread a small ammount of nylon rope attached to some sort of home made poi balls and make a metior-staff. Was just wondering about the lengths with that one especially, I dont want to make it too large so it hits the floor when i try to spin it lol. But also I dobt know about lengths for regular staffs

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

lucy_janeBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
ive been thinking of starting staff this summer with a friend. i know most people use a broom stick to practice with first but do you weight the ends of it or anything? also about the lenght thing thats confusing me too! how do you work out your ideal lenght!?!

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i started messing about with the aluminium scaffold tubes at work on and off, heavy as you like but nice and slow, then 2 weeks ago i went and bougt a fire staff and i've not looked back (except to see where i dropped my staff hehe )

lucy_janeBRONZE Member
16 posts

Posted:
im taking it from some of the other posts ive read the weighting doesnt really matter for beginners. you can pretty much use any weight?
im still confused bout it but hey.
im gonna go get my broom handle tomorrow, i felt really silly asking people where the nearest place was.
once im good though or semi ok and can do a few tricks, goodbye broomhandle hello HOP shop of fire staff!!!!!!!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I made mine smile, even wrapped tightly (and surprisingly neatly) some red electrical wire around the center to make a grip and sealed it together with wood glue. Now im gonna clean it (its abit dirty) and paint it purple.

I love purple

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

BarflySILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
hi all. may i suggest using a curtain rod?i got one from ikea and tied inner tube to it with cable tie for a practice staff.

what i like about it is that it is thick, about an inch in diameter i think, and fills your palm nicely. i think it's easier to hold too. only problem is that it's a tad bit heavy. but i think you can try with different types of wood. get the lighter ones. maybe they will be good for contact cause of the weight and heftiness.
EDITED_BY: Barfly (1148683647)

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
i recomend you look at www.tepookatoys.com
they make some of the best staffs ive seen.
it can takes as long as you want to get good.it depends how many hours you are wiling to put in,i recomend learning all tricks with both left and right hands as if you progress to two staffs this will help you greatly,
try and find jugglers or twirlers in your area they will help you learn by sharing tricks with you.
its important not to just chase new tricks all the time,
once i learn a new trick i will repeat in many times to smoothen it out,i will then try making it bigger,smaller,faster,slolwer,i will also look for ways to twirl into and out of each trick.
foot flick-ups for when you drop is a good trick to learn,have a look at my video if you want

https://www.exocetmedia.com/Pages/Guest%20Artist/guest.html

good luck and enjoy
tim

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
Hey ive just started out on staff a couple of days ago. Been thinking about havin a go for a while and saw a mini stall in town (bath) these guys sold handmade poi, flags, staff, devil-sticks, battons, fire stuff and i got me a single practice staff for £7! so have a look around your market, these guys go all sorts of places.

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Woot, Me and another yell leader spin staff, and have been asked to do it for the cheer squad. Juggling lovely ladies and spinning staff. What could possibly be better?!

Oh, right. Contact juggling and lovely ladies:P

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

LaihiaSILVER Member
162 posts

Posted:
Hey,
I've been practicing staff [also fire staff] for a few months now and I made my staff of tent poles. They work perfectly. Their only problem is their weight, so I'm gonna make my next staff out of an aluminium pole, which isn't that heavy.
About the length, it's you own choise I think. Mine is 1.60 meters. But others prefer a shorter one.

Sunshine or rain, it's not anymore the same...

a_unique_name_herenewbie
5 posts

Posted:
I started spinning with flags, then swtiched to an 7' oak staff, which I still use a lot, to build endurance, plus, if you can do it with a staff that weighs 5-8 lbs, i can do it with my little fire-staff.

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Another broom handle starter here...

On that note, while I do have a fire staff, my broom-handle practise staff is still in commision and I'd like to upgrade it somewhat, such that it glows in the dark bright and shiny smile

I tested some luminescent paint, but it didn't glow all that well. Any ideas?

LaihiaSILVER Member
162 posts

Posted:
To make your staff glow you can buy some glowsticks, [ the cheap ones which you have to break and then they glow are perfect for it], and tape them around your staff... smile

Sunshine or rain, it's not anymore the same...

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Problem with those is that they run out after 8 hours or so, depending on colour, and I don't want to have to go buying new ones and taping them on all the time...I'm thinking more luminescent stuff, but the only stuff I can find around here are those tiny pots you get in airfix model shops, and they need about 10 layers of paint to even be visible...

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
Thats a good idea actually, seeing as I ordered some earlier this week for use with poi...I'll see if I can fix them into the end of some chrome plated piping (seriously shiny smile) that I bought today as part of my self-igniting staff project...

Page: