Forums > Help! > bittorrent clients

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
one for the techy hoppers here:

i'd like some recommendations for bittorrent clients please - one's you've used and liked and why smile

this has nothing to do with the new psp i just bought ubbangel wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
erm here...

Written by:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. This includes agreeing not to promote the unsafe practice of using fire whilst under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

as file sharing of copyrighted files is illegal, then youw oudl be breaking this provise, that you have sid you would adheir to by using the board....

site rules section - Unsuitable posts, photos and videos

and while i know it does not in detali say, you may not talk about file sahring, illegal or legal, if malcome was prosecuted for allowing , after a sort, you guys to talk about this on his site, without stopping you, it would mean that he would face large fines, for promoting file sharing, as some other boards have done,

and im not saying its true, or not, but they could potentially use isp tracing frommals hop srv to track down some other the users on here and prosecture them to....

not being vendictiv cole, just know that these progs work on a series of ports, and its very easy (with lots of time) for an isp to now track the usage of these programmes.

Step (el-nombrie)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
funny thing is, until your post mech, there was no suggestion of illegal activity at all... ubblol

and talking about illegal filesharing is a very different thing to actually doing it.

we discuss things such as illegal drugs and terrorism in the discussion threads but we don't *do* it.

worse, there are files hosted in the hop gallery and hundreds linked to on the board that breach copyright laws and nothing is ever mentioned... shrug

all the p2p networks and clients discussed here are legal so i didn't really see any problem.

if someone had started making a listing of where to find illegal copies of software/movies/music i agree, that would be bad, but that isn't what this thread is about at all smile

hug

and yes jonnny mutorrent rocks and i have indeed switched to it myself.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
There are links to fileshareing networks on the thread. On DrBoo's thread there is a link to a search result.

It's best to stay on the safe side don't you think? Mech is right about forums being shut down (I admit, they have been much worse than this) and I don't want Malcolm to get in to any leagal problems because of this (However much I doubt it'll happen)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the links are to legal networks (or to legal search results on those networks) no?

i still reckon this thread is pretty damn clean but spank accepted anyway - it is better to be safe then sorry.

cheers for looking out mech (and sym).

i have reported this thread to malcolm, admin and the mods so they can decide to edit if required ubbangel

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
does this mean for once imight have been right biggrin

there is a first time wink

didnt wan tto be a party pooper, just making sure mal , or you guys dont get in trouble

Step (el-nombrie)

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym

There are links to fileshareing networks on the thread. On DrBoo's thread there is a link to a search result.

I'm scared now eek
If anyone is going to hunt me down on the basis of this:
I didn't do it.
I promise
And I didn't even think about doing it
And you can't prove I did.

*scampers away to hide out*

biggrin wink

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: mech

does this mean for once imight have been right

there is a first time

didnt wan tto be a party pooper, just making sure mal , or you guys dont get in trouble

I wouldn't go so far as to say you were right: but...definitly... less wrong than usual smile

Keep it up- you're getting there.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: coleman

we discuss things such as illegal drugs and terrorism in the discussion threads but we don't *do* it.

Exactly!

*ping* ubbangel

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Pong ubbangel

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it's all about emule baby! ... and to a lesser extent a diet high in fibre.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
UCOF and Bender recommend:

Non-Https Image Link

smile

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
so anyway, moving onto topic.

And hoping Mech isn't reading ubbangel

I was hunting the web for stuff and found a link to a file I wanted via a torrent client thing. So I pressed it and the default program to open it with was bitlord that aparently I already had on my computer shrug So i opened it through bitlord and WOW! eek !!! What an amazing download speed!! I got a whole album in minutes instead of days and yesterday watched the southpark where they kill chef and it downloaded in 5 minutes!! FIVE MINUTES!!

I'm never going back to winmx now, all that queue management is rubbish in comparison.

Now if only I had more than 200meg left of my 160gig I'd be getting right jiggy with it (legal files only of course wink )

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
While this thread has only talked about doing things that infringe on copyright law...

How many of you have paid the musicians licence fees for soundtracks to the videos you make?

wink

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
indeed, that is exactly what i was alluding to when i said this:

Written by: coleman

worse, there are files hosted in the hop gallery and hundreds linked to on the board that breach copyright laws and nothing is ever mentioned... shrug

on a related note, i'm already bored of downloading tv programmes illegally (not that i do rolleyes)

i had to d/l three massive files that claimed to be 'lost season 2 episode 11' before i got one that actually was what it claimed to be *grrrr*

i want a tv licence invented for 'download only' viewers and for all the major networks to create an itunes-like system for buying your tv shows on-demand.

please ubbangel wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by: dream

While this thread has only talked about doing things that infringe on copyright law...

How many of you have paid the musicians licence fees for soundtracks to the videos you make?

wink

About as many times as you've paid the licence whenever you've lent, borrowed, put onto tape etc or played it for others to listen to wink

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Com-on. Has everyone always obeyed copyright laws to the letter?
Surely some people can remember being younger and taping off their favourite songs off the radio?
Strictly speaking that's an infringement of copyright eek

----------------------------------------------------------

P2P user & proud of it biggrin

Are you up for it?
wink;)

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Bitcomet, as almost everyone I know uses it. Never had any problems with it, plus the fact it comes with links to torrent portals in its own browser makes searching pretty easy.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I've just been using the original Bittorent client. Not much in the way of options or extras, but I like it simple.

I think the more important question is which site do you get your torrents from. I tend to use www.isohunt.com It's found most of the things I've been looking for, but I'm sure it's not the 'best'.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mentioned here on the last page by lavatwilight, torrentz.com is a tracker tracker (if you see what i mean).

i'm still using mutorrent as my client.

the only drawback so far is that it doesn't let me set priority on specific files within a torrent.

but seeing as i'm not generally in a rush to download, its not that much of a problem really smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks for pointing that out both of you. Just checked it out and it looks so much more promising than my usual tracker.. bounce

ThePissedHippieBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
lol go azerus it works for me andi t has options . also try these sites for toorents www.mininova.org,www.thepiratebay.org

theuy usulay have wa tu need

"tis not the dark i fear, but the creatures that lurk within it"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
This is rather handy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_software

Theres one for P2P also...

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
the lovely newgabe posted about this application for macs on another thread and i thought it was more than worth a mention here:

www.acquisitionx.com

absolute genius piece of software.

cole. x

biggrin only 5 days left to wait till imac delivery biggrin

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
ohh speaking of bt clients,, I've been using transmission on my mac for the last few months,, oh so much better than the standard client,, or at least thats my experience

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i personally use bitcomet, ive used azreus and the original bittorrent client but didnt like either. havent found anything better than bitcomet really

and as for a file-sharing p2p program, i use soulseek https://www.slsknet.org/
much better than all the others as long as u know how to use it properly.

most users on it, dont let jus anyone d/l off them, so if u go into the rooms n get chattin to people you can trade things etc... only one thing before you use soulseek, u have to make sure all your files are sorted n arranged properly

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
so i can't get azureus to work on my spangly new imac ubbcrying

it seems to install okay but when i double click it, it bounces on the dock for a second or so then disappears?!

anyone know what that's about...?

anyway, i did get this client to work, which seems to be doing the job fine, so i might not need to switch even if i could get azureus to run smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
My guess is it's a Java problem. Have a look at the support forums, and go and grab the lasest Java. Are you running 10.4.6? Run software update and grab anything you can from it.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
cheers sym.

i ran the software update (which added some stuff but no java related items) and i tried to manually reinstall java from apple, but that told me i already had a newer version installed.

mac help said 'make sure the bsd subsystem is installed' so i found a file called bsd.pkg on my install disk and clicked that - that said there was nothing to install so i'm guessing that meant it was already installed?

lastly i tried running it with rosetta forced (just because it was the only thing i hadn't tried yet) and that didn't help either.

do i have to manually launch java vm or should it just get accessed when i require it?

i think you are right though sym - i don't recall seeing any javascripts running on webpages i've visited so i'll test it out later by going to some that i know have java on them and seeing if they load properly.

at least then i will have identified where the problem is originating from...

hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
First off, Java and JavaScript are nothing to do with each other at all. Installing Java will not change anything to do with JavaScript working on web sites.

The system updates include Java, or some update to it more often than not, so I guess you'll have all you need. I assume you went to https://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/j2se50release4intel.html
to get Java from Apple?

If that doesn't work, download a new copy from the site. Try a beta or CVS copy to see if it has the problem.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hug

thanks dude smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood