Forums > Help! > bittorrent clients

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
one for the techy hoppers here:

i'd like some recommendations for bittorrent clients please - one's you've used and liked and why smile

this has nothing to do with the new psp i just bought ubbangel wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
some bad news for the jolly roger and pals frown

"Swedish police has today taken all the servers of The Pirate Bay into custody. The police chose to do this despite the fact that the services provided by the worlds largest bittorrent tracker are fully legal in Sweden. The servers where located in a protected area, to which the police had no legal right to enter, but this was ignored. Piratbyrån (the Pirate Bureau), a swedish pro-pirate lobby organisation, also got their servers seized, since they where located in the same room. Two operators of The Pirate Bay are in police custody, and can't be reached."

source: wikipedia

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frown Now that really really sucks

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
More info

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/31/piratebay_raid/

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
heya folks

I've just recently started getting into bit torrent and was wondering if any of you techo torrent savy had any sound advice about speeding up transfers rates up/down etc. Whats the best way to seed.. and use trackers etc...

Im using azureus. I really like it and i've read the wiki help files back the front and up and down. Most, but not all of it makes sense to me. I also got a plug in to auto set my max up and download speeds...

Anyone know what the Distributed Hash Table does?. I have a rough idea of what its supposed to do... but how dop i get the most out of it?

but i would like to hear about it a bit more about this stuff from folks who know how to write tech in english wink

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
what speed is your connection (up and down) and what kind of d/l speeds are you getting from bt?

i have a 10meg bb line and don't get great speeds imo (averaging about 30-40kb/s).

where did you get the auto speed setting plug-in...?

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I have a 4mb symmetrical line with a 1:1 contention ratio

I get around the same speeds you do...

The azureus wiki

https://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Has a page with the plug ins...

Love is the law.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
With torrents your best benchmark is to download at legal torrent (like https://distribution.openoffice.org/p2p/)
and have a look at the speed then.

Failing that, try downloading a new torrent with loads of seeders, something like a new pop album thats about 60mb with about 40 people seeding. If you find the speeds are good on them then there is little more you can do. any slow torrents are caused by slow peers and or a slow tracker.

The best thing to do in that case is just leave it downloading for a long time. It will help eeryone wanting that file.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

I have a 4mb symmetrical line with a 1:1 contention ratio

ubblol apart from th '4mb' bit, i have no idea what that means!

thanks for the plug-in hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
The symetrical line meas that i can upload and download 'potentially' with the same transfer rate. A spped test put mine at 2.5mb. Fastest i've donload at was 860kbps. From microsoft..

Contention ratio is the amount of people you are 'contending' with for you 10mb line... In ireland, most are 24:1 or 48:1 that means you are sharing your connection with up to 24 or 48 peopla at a time...

We were lucky to find a company that provides a far, far superior service to the rest of the competion. But now we have to move out... So want to download as much as possible in the next five days...

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
isohunt.com

and I'm on a stupidly fast univerisity back bone: 600mb = maybe ten minutes? I love it... I use bittornado cos it works with firefox and I can just click the links and they start downloading... yum yum

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I just been looking at mldonkey (mlnet)

https://mldonkey.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

eek

Looks great, but like all really good free software it appears i need a degree in programming apps to get it going...

frown

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
mlnet is a pain in the arse

im going to give this one a try later

https://www.hillmanminx.net/iswipe/

Love is the law.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I'm on a lowly 1meg line, but I downloaded an album last week in less than 5 minutes. Like Sym says it depends how many seeders/peers etc there are and what their connection is like.
I'm lucky that I'm with Telewest Broadband and one of their main servers is only a couple of miles from my house, I'm sure that helps get a decent and consistent connection.

I used to be on the 4meg line and was on it from almost the first week it was available from Telewest, when I dropped to 1meg as part of our tv/phone/web package I didn't notice any drop in download or general web surfing speeds.....go figure.

I use bitlord and it's not the best imo, not that I know what the best is but there must be better out there. Thanks for the nod towards bittornado Meg I'll go grab that this evening I think smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

alfapoiGOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

i have a 10meg bb line and don't get great speeds imo (averaging about 30-40kb/s).
cole. x

This seems slow for your connection speed, when I lived in Bath I had a 8mg connection and the speeds where like 300-400 Kbs (dependant on the number of seeders)
Have you set up the port forwarding on your router? and allowed them thru your firewall.

You can check it on this site

Here is a guide for setting up a router.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:

we discuss things such as illegal drugs...but we don't *do* it.

well i think we've found we're not allowed to talk about those things either

i use bitcomet for my torrent client, and soulseek for p2p stuff,

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: alfapoi

cole. x

This seems slow for your connection speed, when I lived in Bath I had a 8mg connection and the speeds where like 300-400 Kbs (dependant on the number of seeders)
Have you set up the port forwarding on your router? and allowed them thru your firewall.

You can check it on this site

Here is a guide for setting up a router.

As I said, that could just be down to where you are downloading from. You can't get a good idae of your download speed until you download a few files of a few sizes over http/torrent/ftp/etc.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
iswipe looks very cool but there are some downsides

There doesnt seem to be any tech support, whatsoever.

It freezes about once a minute.

It finds the file on search, brilliantly. It lets you select it, but doesnt appear to actually download it. Which is a bit of a pain.

Azereus on the other hand is sweet... but i would like a P2P option aswell

I called up my isp and cinformed that i am suposed to have 4mb up and down. Im only getting less than fifty on BT but the techs assure me that no port forwarding is needed... i dont know anything about ports though...

shrug

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yo, Aiden, you got a network router for your internet? Any firewall? (Windows or otherwise)

umm

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yep I have wireless router....

Love is the law.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Which?

Open up a brower and type in : 192.168.1.1
This *should* be the router's setup page.
Log in (the UN and PW will depend on if you have set them yourself, otherwise they will be seta as the default -go have a look on the manufacturers webiste or in the instruction manual) to this page.
Under something like "advanced" ther should be one called "Port Forwarding".
Click it.

Google which ports your BT client uses, and enter them on the router's set up page.
Click apply/ save and you may then need to restart the router.

Then again, that might not work.
But i reckon the tech people you spoke to when they said it was nothing to do with port forwarding, were talking rubbish. It depends on what program you are using and what model of router you have.
I dont think they can simply say yes or no. ubbidea

Give that a try and let us know how you get on. ubbrollsmile

Good luck.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
yes, they would have been talking rubbish. Google can't tell you what ports BT uses, because each client is different and you can select almost any port. Look in the Azereus to find the port.

You will also need to know your own ip address (you should change it to static so it doesn't change when your DHCP session ends) by typing ipconfig in a command prompt.

You could also try setting up UPnP.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Thats what I meant by google for the ports. I just looked for " Azereus port forwarding " and found this: https://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Azureus_FAQ

There must be the info you require, but I am at work and cant spend any more time pressing each of the buttons on this big chunk of plastic I have underneath my hands.

ubbrollsmile

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
This is what you need though ubblol

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Cheers guys...

thanks for the links jon, I've been reading that whole wiki back the front for about a week now. Im getting it slow enough but sure enough.

My ISP assures me that i am get a bit rate of about 5mb... up and down... thats alot... I've managed to download at almost 900kbps from sites like apple and microsoft. Spped tests are all so different that i dont trust them.

This morning i was getting 100kps from azareus so i guess it has alot to do with other peopls upload rates and the amount of available peers and seeds too. Theres just so many bloody settings... I might switch to a different one

Also, I took off the speed managing plugin, it was saturating my bandwidth and i couldnt surf at all... it did give me a good idea of what my line capacity was so i was able to take say, 60% of that and set it.

I dont and cant have a fixed IP address with this particular ISP. Well, I can change to a business connection and get one... And seen as how im moving house today, thats what i might do. For now though, i'll make do.

Cole... What are you using for P2P outside of bit torrent?

Love is the law.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
limewire but i rarely use anything outside of bittorrent nowdays.

i don't d/l much music as i tend to rely on donations from friends and buying what i like and bittorrent covers just about all my movie and tv needs smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I was talking about a fixed IP within your DMZ - from your router to your PC - not with your ISP.

I doubt you'll need a fixed IP from an ISP.

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:

i don't d/l much music as i tend to rely on donations from friends and buying what i like and bittorrent covers just about all my movie and tv needs smile

didnt i see a thread a while ago where you were having a go at ppl for d/l stuff? lol

for p2p should use soulseek, www.slsknet.org

dont just search for files, as the best users only let ppl in their user list d/l from them, so go into the rooms, ask for what you want, and people will add you, which means you get complete albums

but you have to have a well ordered collection, or people wont talk to u

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simta

didnt i see a thread a while ago where you were having a go at ppl for d/l stuff? lol

nah, must be your imagination... smile

like i said, i rarely d/l music anyway - i buy the music i like on cd cos mp3's are a waste of a decent stereo.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
hmmmmm must be

mainly films n series then lol

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
just thought i'd come back and sing the praises of demonoid.com

its a members-only bittorrent tracker, which means you get people seeding for much longer (and as such, feel obliged to seed for a decent amount of time yourself).

i love it - anyone who wants to join, give me a pm/email and i'll send you an invite smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: