Page:
GelatinousRusknewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I've found a cool website that shows me how to make a set of Fire Nunchucks. However, I don't know where I can get the swivel kits from (the ball bearing chain caps). Does anyone know where I could get a set from?

Chz,

"I didn't know he existed until he didn't." - Julius Ceaser

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Brenn

Thanks Rellizate smile Muchly appreciated! hug

Are you perchance coming to PLAY this year? smile

Hopefully there will be a fairly strong nunchaku contingent at PLAY this year, myself included. We managed to generate enough interest in ye olde flaily sticks to run a beginners workshop last year with about 20 people, so hopefully those guys are all proper jedi by now biggrin

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Rellizate: I do biggrin Haven't formally studied nunchaku though but hopefully with the other firetoys i've learned as well as the sword arts i've dabbled with i should be able to pick things up reasonably quickly. I do appreciate weapo

Mr_Joe: Fantastic! I won't be able to bring my own nunchaku because A) I don't have a pair and B) It's somewhat illegal to own them here in Aus without formally studying it. If there would be practice pairs available at a potential beginners nunchaku workshop I'd be eager to attend! biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
"It's somewhat illegal to own them here in Aus without formally studying it."

NO NO NO
Well, I went on the WA police site and went through all their stupid legal crappy language and got hell confused.

But in the end, it's not illegal to own them.. You basically just need a legitimate reason.
So, In the boot of my car I have practice chucks (foam) wooden chucks and fire chucks. So they're for my "work" because I'm a "performer".

I emailed the police about it and this is basically what they said...

in fact.. here is my email and their reply..

Me - "I was wondering whether you could answer my questions directly or refer me to a complete version of the Weapons Act of 1999.
I am a fireperformer and use a variety of instruments for entertainment.

One of these is 'firetwirlers' which are also know as 'firechucks' which can be seen as nunchucks. They are made of metal but have Kevlar wick on the ends, i.e. padding and can hence, not injure anyone (except me,
when they're on fire! :-).
1. Are these still considered nunchucks/baton flails?
2. Is my profession and being a member/employee of a fire performance troupe a 'legal' excuse for owning and possessing these?
3. Do you need to be a member of a martial arts club to own baton flails?
4. Does being in my car count as 'on my possession'? Do they need to be in a locked container? Or does just in the boot out of reach count?
5. If I wanted to travel to Queensland for a firedancing conference, can I take them with me?

Thanks for your help!"

Them -"

Natalie,

Nunchucks/Baton Flails are listed as Controlled Weapons within the meaning of the Weapons Act; possession is not illegal and it appears that as you use them proffessionally you have a valid reason to possess them.

Your firertwirlers would fall within the description of a baton flail.

You don't have to licence them and there's no specific security arrangements for them - safely secured in you car would suffice.

I can't see any problems with taking them to Queensland with you however you may want to check with the airline prior to departure and declare them to cabin staff on the plane.

I'm not sure of the requirements in Queensland however you can call the Queensland Police Weapons Licencing Branch on (07 )33643617 and they'll be able to supply you with further information.

If you require a complete copy of the Weapons Act then you can call the State Law Publishers on 93217688 or email on state publisherssales@dpc.wa.gov.au and they'll be able to supply you with a copy - I'm unsure of the costs involved.

Terry Bodenham
Senior Constable 9826
Firearms Inquiry Unit
WA Police"

YAY!! So everyone in Aus who is scared because of these supposed laws (I know, I thought I was being illegal too at first) it's not illegal.. You're a PROFESSIONAL and they're part of your ARTFORM :P

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Natasqi, that is a VERY encouraging post!

However, I have to wonder if that extends to VIC. We seem to be a lot tighter over here. frown

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
I can't imagine there would be that many "combat moves" with chucks that would look even half decent on fire... I've considered making fire chucks... It's a flail weapon, so you're literally limited to flailing around! cool Can't do any of the fun grabs and tangles without a victim, though.

Of all the chucks I've used (and that's a lot) I thought the best for just spinning was a related Filipino weapon, called (if I remember correctly) tabak-toyok, that I picked up in Florida. It had 6-inch handles and an 8- or 9-inch chain. Mine was rattan, so it was lightweight. I had an acrylic set of similar proportions but it was not as flowy.

Edited for UBB code...
EDITED_BY: Mucky (1212341353)

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Point to ponder though: what if it is just a hobby?

I mean, I can see why "I am part of a fire performing troupe" or something like that is valid. I spin for fun, so do not see that as a valid reason.

Not that I have nunchucks or plan to get any, just a thought.

Off Topic: Yay! for proofreading. I first wrote "I am prat of a fire performing troupe"....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Mucky

I can't imagine there would be that many "combat moves" with chucks that would look even half decent on fire... I've considered making fire chucks... It's a flail weapon, so you're literally limited to flailing around! cool Can't do any of the fun grabs and tangles without a victim, though.

Of all the chucks I've used (and that's a lot) I thought the best for just spinning was a related Filipino weapon, called (if I remember correctly) tabak-toyok, that I picked up in Florida. It had 6-inch handles and an 8- or 9-inch chain. Mine was rattan, so it was lightweight. I had an acrylic set of similar proportions but it was not as flowy.

Wrist rolls and throws with a chain that long would hoooorrrribble, shirley?

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
In fact throws are no more difficult; just requires a slightly different toss, which you'll automatically do to compensate for the long chain; it feels similar to tossing poi with a weighted handle, actually. As far as wrist rolls, you need a more exaggerated arm motion to execute, but again, you should be able to pick it up naturally. I'll see if I can dig them out of storage and take a picture... Is there a way to attach pictures on this forum, or does it have to be posted elsewhere?

I dunno if they'd be all that great for fire, though, since the small sticks mean there's virtually no lee-way for your hand if there's a wick involved...

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
 Written by :aston

Point to ponder though: what if it is just a hobby?

I mean, I can see why "I am part of a fire performing troupe" or something like that is valid. I spin for fun, so do not see that as a valid reason.

Well, seeing as I've never performed.. (ok, maybe once or twice) with them.. they're more just me having fun.. As long as you have a reason.

Have you EVER performed? Maybe you'd have to ask about specifics. But it's not like I make a living from them.. I may be part of a troupe but firechucks would be the least used implement and it's not really an income.
Thats just my excuse really.. smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Was just curious. Sounds like you are exploiting a slightly grey area.
 Written by

But it's not like I make a living from them..

See, that is what I imagine the law is really there for. So that those who do, can. Although you could always say that you are practicing for it and plan to perform. Still strikes me as less than entirely honest. :P

That said, I am on your side here.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
:P

I'm sure if my house gets raided, they'll be so focused on my sai, swords, throwing knives etc, they may not find my chucks biggrin

I think the law is there so people don't have weapons hanging around willynilly. So people don't have them because they're 'cool' and kids don't get a hold of ninja stars and fling them around.
While IMHO I don't think nunchucks are that dangerous (because hey, a plank of wood would be worse because unexperienced people are quite likely to hit themselves...) I own chucks primarily for a learning/art/performance reason. I have fire and glow chucks and have video of me performing with them. That and the fact I am in a fire troupe to me makes me feel justified in owning them.
and maybe one day I WILL make money out of them (once I get bored of my hoop)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
True.

Just saying. :P

I honestly feel that I can do more damage with a pen than some of the "weapons" I have seen banned on airlines for example. Like... a 3cm long pocket knife. But that is another rant.

I reckon that as long as you can say that you are a performer, you should be ok. Even if you only perform for them to prove it. :P

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
 Written by :aston

Even if you only perform for them to prove it. :P

Haha, has this happened to you too?

So many times we've had firemen/police/sercurity called on us practicing at random parks or beaches...
And we explain who we are and what we do etc etc, and then, without fail everyone says.

"Well, we'd like you to perform for us.. umm, you know, so we know you're telling the truth"

And we have to do a mini show.

I guess that beats getting arrested though!

Page: