daemanBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
i want to try an bring extreme kiting and fir staff together but at the moment im stuck on how to do this.

any ideas please let me know
Written by:

as time goes by all i can think is
where am i what am i doing and who the hell are u

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

Maybe extreme kiting and glow staff would be better?

Getting to the other side smile

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
I second that motion...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: daeman

i want to try an bring extreme kiting and fir staff together but at the moment im stuck on how to do this.

I read that as extreme knitting and fire staff! Now that would be interesting tongue
EDITED_BY: Hexagonic (1136871701)

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
SOunds far to dangerous to me. If the kite set on fire, you will have burning material everywhere... and if its a type of plastic it will melt onto your skin :/

Also if you lose control of the kite and it catches fire, it could travel anywhere causing untold amounts of havoc.

I say glowsticks for the win biggrin

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

milkajourneyman
89 posts

Posted:
Looks dangerous indeed.

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
I hate to jump on the killjoy wagon, but that really doesn’t sound like a very good idea to me. Much too dangerous – both for people and property. The potential liability could be HUGE, and I very much doubt that your insurance would cover it – just as an example, what if the kite burnt through the strings and drifted into someone’s house or god forbid a person? You could get some cool stuff going with glow toys, though – those little light stick things they sell in the HOP shop as glow stick substitutes wouldn’t add much weight (although if you were thinking of attaching a staff then weight probably isn’t much of a concern) and are cheap enough to use lots – or you could just use glow sticks.

to live at all is miracle enough

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"I hate to jump on the killjoy wagon"
ditto

Thats why i think you shoudl do it wink

How can you steer a kite (two handed) whilst holding a fire staff?
You cant, surely.
You would need one hand free, and even then, as you only have one hand, your range of movements would stop shortly after shotguns. umm

Unless you are talking about attatching a fire staff to the kite.
Which I think everyone has misunderstood.
Noone would be at stupid surely? (to attatch a firestaff to a kite, not to misunderstand what he said! biggrin )

Oh, and "If the kite set on fire," ubblol You do know how a kite works, right? wink

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Capital idea there, project for this year then, fire kite, kevlar control strings, for the first 20 foot, light weight fire staff, just leaves finding a suitable fabric that will take a flame retardant, shouldn't be too difficult, actually there seem to be a range of pre proofed materials available for this,

Will keep you appraised of progress

mark

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
If you fly hooked into a seat harness - you can do basic staff trix / much like board trix - behing the back passes etc...... would be easier on water & safer biggrin

That way you could maintain good motion going along - for which you dont really need any / much hand control - that will then give you time to play with a stick.

Fire kites have been tried and tested - they work, just but for the material to be light enough to fly - it doesnt give much burn time at all......... let us know how it goes marco, id call you a nutter but id be a hipocrite wink

Fire staffing whilst being attached to a kite is most certanly possible, although i think motion is definatley needed - whether a land board or on water - that gives you the option of chucking in jumps easier to do other trix. Flying a kite being planted on ya feet would need too much hand control - unless you just keep the kite in the "safe zone" above your head, but you dont want to do that because it would just be boring wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
dude....

This reminds me of a summers day in southampton, i didnt have fire, but i had stilts!! I was flying a small kite, 7m - in a nice 3-4 whilst on the highest setting of my large duras!!

It was such good fun, jumping and stuff, and my duras taking some of the impact.... but then i got silly, and decided: that my mountain board should come out.....

Ouch. there is nothing like it, speeding along, and then. stop, bang wallop!!

Ive got some kites/range of boards lets have a go....strugz? and oh yeah, f~ck the zenith!!

passing through, this world still lives.

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
swap the control bar for a staff, light the ends, and then use the air time you get, to move yourself around the staff (control bar) thus performing moves, the matrix could be fun!

And..... if you did it with a strongish say 3-4 offshore wind, on the beach or sea, then its safe as houses.. the kite would just burn up, and hit the sea......

LEts go!!

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

matrix - never!

But i like the idea of an oversized staff control bar - but then you cant move it much rolleyes

mmmmmm

I must stop wasting time thinking about this - i have far more important things to be getting on with wink

**Goes back to "play" **

smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Have fun lads

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
hey there is nowere better to test than ireland! wink

Large amounts of water all around! whos putting us up?

Though if ur kitesurfing and going downwind, and u have the brake line all the way out, and hitting the limit, the kite will fly normaly without any hands on the bar...

Allowing you to spin a stick, still, limited moves cause u have a line coming from your waist out to the bar....

Why not 2's up? anyone wanna stand on my shoulders? lets get a fat kite! kinda like the waterski displays where they build triangles and stuff!? lol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Oh, pick us!! wave

Lol... unless you have a better offer umm rolleyes ubblol

Hehehe. You are most welcome, as you know. hug

Also, we know the people who run the kite shop here and could sort you out with good sites (though, Phil and Liz are about to move to somewhere warm and Caribbean sounding soon).

Lisa and I, however, will probably be huddled in a warm pub laughing heartily as a strong gust of cold Atlantic air sends you hurtling down the beach. Fools.

biggrin

hug

daemanBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
all good points people guess for now ill have to leave the idea as an idea until something more feesable comes up. keep thinking though im sure we can come up wit something that will work sooner or later

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Have I misunderstood? I was picturing some sort of fire/kite extravaganza going on overhead. But even so, I don't really see how you'd control a big kite and a staff at the same time, and I'd be scared of burning through the strings, espcially if it's an expensive kite. But who knows?

to live at all is miracle enough

daemanBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
my original idea was to maybe have a hollow tube on a traction kite filled wit paraffin with burners sticking a foot out from the kite material and performing an earial display

FIREBOY4209SILVER Member
The lone Fire Spinner
236 posts

Posted:
I'd say to dangerous and would not advise it as your more likely to set fire to the kite. I would go with glowsticks, cheap and affective.
Also a big Kite twirling around leaving fire trails as it goes would be great to see but I'm not sure the police or fire service would be very happy with you due to the dangers involved.

To play it safe is not to play

daemanBRONZE Member
14 posts

Posted:
thanks for the feadback everybody i guess it was a crazy dream that will never come to fruition oh well on to the next crazy idea thankx