Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Why sock poi? A rant in regards Infinite Hyperloops and other moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok, so this may be random whining, but why sock poi? Every video I see is someone spinning some colorful pair of sock poi. I gave up socks when doing hyperloops because they simply did not act like fire poi during more advanced moves. I now use regular dog chains with tennis balls for heads instead, which is exactly what I spin fire with (thinking being, of course, that its better to practice with what you're actually going to use than with something that I'm not). There is a much finer distinction of how you must move when spinning with chain than with the far more forgiving sock poi. Plus weight distribution, and all that.

I understand the "be able to spin with anything anytime" mentatlity... I CAN spin socks just as well as chains, but chains seem to be harder and thus more challenging (and more frustrating). I also understand that its easier to learn NEW things with sock poi because they are more forgiving.

So why sock poi? And now let me explain my frustration.... Infinite hyperloops. There has been a few videos of these now, always sock poi. Chains just don't seem to lock correctly to maintain them (not ball chain, refuse to us it, too dangerous for the crowd).

So. Can someone assure me that infinite hyperloops are possible with chains... meaning you can DO them, not that they are theoretically possible, so I can stop whining about how much I dislike the profusion of advanced sock poi spinners? For that matter, whip catches, suicides, and others, which require a bit more friction (which sock poi provide) also frustrate me. Everyone seems to oh and ah over these videos that are all sock poi and in the back of my head I'm just thinkin, "yeah, but try it with CHAINS...". Cause with chains most of the videos I see would not be anywhere near as clean as they are with socks, and even WITH socks it seems a great deal of "forgivingness" is necessary for those people doing them to pull them off.

Im not tryin to put anyone down, just my own frustration and observations here. IS anyone doing these cleanly enough to use chains / are the advantages that sock poi give you necessary for them?

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
dut, do you do much wrist/hand/finger wrapping with your fire poi? (ie weaving, LHP wrapping on right wrist while RHP wraps on left wrist to a weave of the opposite-direction). this seems to be the only thing that i dont do with fire (obviously because of the whole being burnt bit)... i have not yet got around to getting adequate gloves to wear...

i have found i can do longer hyperloops with ball-chains (in the 20-30 rotation area) than i can with socks, although i found it easier to learn with socks.

i think this was because of their soft, pliable, absorbant nature (not unlike certain brands of toilet paper...(!)), because in the inevitable tangling of the learning-hyperloops scenario, it was simpler to untangle when they were not on fire, and also because they did not go out every 5 minutes.. i could just go to it and practice...

i also think that its easier to maintain fire poi hyperloops because of their weight (and the way the weight is distibuted along the chain), which makes the momentum/velocity of the poi that much greater than when using socks, and because the chain can tangle and hold around each other easier (the socks slip apart easier...)

i find throws easier with socks because i have about a 2/5:1 weight ratio (tails:heads), and because spinning at night means i cant see the handle as well when i spin fire outside.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
@shen shui: long sleeves. Wear those, your arms'll be fine

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dut

the stretchiness messes me up...

ah, i was quite confused by your comments till you said that. i agree, i reckon stretchy socks suck. They're pretty handy for learning how to isolate IMO, but not for much else. But there are obviously gonna be people who'll disagree with that.

mmm *non-stretchy* cone poi
ubblove

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
long sleeves are hot in summer.

it'd mean i'd have to buy a dark long-sleeved top.

the heads hurt.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
It's interesting that people have said that ballchain is easier to hyperloop with than socks. I'm only lust learning them so I'm not too consistent either way, but I can comfortably tangle on the right, carry it accross and untangle on the left then more or less re-tangle and take it back over to the right. I can do this fine with socks; the friction in them seems to help a lot and I really miss it when I try it with my chains. Again I'll qualify this by saying that I haven't had my chains that long so I'm still getting used to them, but at this stage they seem much harder to controll when tangled than my socks. The chains seem to slide around eachother too much, so any pressure I put on the chain to move the hyperloop across to the other side just ends up pulling the chain, making one end of the hyperloop really short and the whole thing falls appart.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I'd say I learn twice as fast but half as well with socks, much like others have said. The more I practice with them the sloppier my chain work gets.

There are still quite a few moves I can only do consistently with socks. Mostly odd inverted tangles where the thickness of the socks helps guide the poi heads.

I think I'll put down the socks for a few months and go back to the frog chains 'till I catch up again. shrug

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I totally agree my chain work is not as good as it could be partly due to socks but mostly due to lack of practice with that medium. Actully I have been spinning glowsticks alot lately and have been having quite a bit of fun. Lets not even bring those into this though. ubblol

My sock poi are different from most sock poi from what I have seen. I use rock filled tennis balls in the end of mens dress socks. I knot right above the ball and at the end you hold to make handles. Then I put a covering over the end with the ball to make them all cool and stuff. The knot in the end above the bll makes them act more like chains but still have the grip and ease of socks. I do find cone poi to be a bit tricky to exit with hyperloops ometimes but I never have that problem with my socks. I do use cones but I love the way my design performs. Cone poi and the way I make socks are two totally different medium IMO. They react differently and have different strengths and weaknesses. How do you guys make your sock poi? That could influence how they perform greatly.

Peace, Love, Circles

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
I literally just bung a couple of juggling balls down a pair of long goth-type thigh-length socks and tie some big knots for handles. Needs completely re-vamping I think. Some weight to the handles would be good. I saw a guy the other day with silicone juggling balls in his socks. They hurt like hell when you hit yourself but he was doing the most amazing slow isolations because of the weight.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I have a set of pink fluffy cone poi that I use most of the time that I love dearly. I don't tend to hyperloop much as I don't like the look of them (I'm mad, I know) but when I do do them they are slightly harder, especially btb. If I am in the mood for hyperloops I just use a pair of socks with tennis balls stuck in them, no knots or anything. I seem to be able to handle them ok and I find that not having a 'grip' as such means I'm focusing more on where my hands are.

The worst thing ever for hyperloops... tail poi! cobras are the bane of my existance!

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

shen shuiSILVER Member
1,799 posts

Posted:
tie enough knots in the ends of your socks until you get a good weight there. then you can play with throws/releases too. AND it gives you something to hold on to. its funny, but to me, it now feels weird to put my fingers through loops to spin (a la fire poi / store-bought poi) as opposed to holding a knot.

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I have only spun fire poi with finger loops but compared to my socks they feel very limiting. I constantly tend to shorten and extend my socks by letting go of the knot and letting the poi slide through my hand till the knot comes back into place. With finger loops this is impossible unless you just hold them which really defeats the purpose of having them. I'm going to run off and make some knots for my fire poi. I just came home from my trip to a pair of palm torches so tonight is more then likely going to involve some fire. biggrin

Peace, Love, Circles

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Go to a crafts store and pick up some wood doll heads. You can screw an eyescrew in there and connect your quick links to that. Then you have a handle that will be very similar to your socks. I intended to use them for throwing, but still need to get used to the weight and rotation differences. I overspin too much as it is, but I'm comfortable enough with my finger loop spinning now that it's time to move on to the throws.

What I really need to throw together is a hybrid handle that has the knob as well as loops.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I seem to be able to do throws with without fingerloops. My sock poi don't have a knot in the end so I'm used to locking the end of the sock in between my index and middle finger. With fingerloops all you really need to be able to do is be able to sliip your fingers in and out of them while spinning which isn't that hard to do.

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I do slip my fingers out but to slip them back in I never really tried. I think for my style going with knots or wooden doll heads would best suit me. I ended up going to the movieplex and practicing with a friend last night instead of messing with my fire chains. Thats on todays to-do list now.

Peace, Love, Circles

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I find it easier to slip in and out as I have a very open handed way of spinning poi. My finger loops are literally on the end of my fingers so it isn't that difficult for me to do it.

Page: