Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Why sock poi? A rant in regards Infinite Hyperloops and other moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok, so this may be random whining, but why sock poi? Every video I see is someone spinning some colorful pair of sock poi. I gave up socks when doing hyperloops because they simply did not act like fire poi during more advanced moves. I now use regular dog chains with tennis balls for heads instead, which is exactly what I spin fire with (thinking being, of course, that its better to practice with what you're actually going to use than with something that I'm not). There is a much finer distinction of how you must move when spinning with chain than with the far more forgiving sock poi. Plus weight distribution, and all that.

I understand the "be able to spin with anything anytime" mentatlity... I CAN spin socks just as well as chains, but chains seem to be harder and thus more challenging (and more frustrating). I also understand that its easier to learn NEW things with sock poi because they are more forgiving.

So why sock poi? And now let me explain my frustration.... Infinite hyperloops. There has been a few videos of these now, always sock poi. Chains just don't seem to lock correctly to maintain them (not ball chain, refuse to us it, too dangerous for the crowd).

So. Can someone assure me that infinite hyperloops are possible with chains... meaning you can DO them, not that they are theoretically possible, so I can stop whining about how much I dislike the profusion of advanced sock poi spinners? For that matter, whip catches, suicides, and others, which require a bit more friction (which sock poi provide) also frustrate me. Everyone seems to oh and ah over these videos that are all sock poi and in the back of my head I'm just thinkin, "yeah, but try it with CHAINS...". Cause with chains most of the videos I see would not be anywhere near as clean as they are with socks, and even WITH socks it seems a great deal of "forgivingness" is necessary for those people doing them to pull them off.

Im not tryin to put anyone down, just my own frustration and observations here. IS anyone doing these cleanly enough to use chains / are the advantages that sock poi give you necessary for them?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

The internet is not about "seeking joy", it's about convincing others that your way of thinking is the correct one. Now pick one: Fire or Socks.

I've seen you post that thought, in different forms, sufficient times to suspect that you actually believe it.

I hope you don't- there's a lot of positivity on the internet too.

Where socks/fire are concerned, I suspect that, for many, fire pulls them into the art, but, the more they do it, the more they become aware of the undeniable negative aspects (general dirtiness and the toxic aspects of the chemicals used).

Some, like me, actually feel the effects on their health.

I still do fire, but not often, and, when I see posts which seem to assume poi=fire, i always try to say something (because it's a mistaken view).

One thing i will say though, to the post that claimed-

Written by: oli

however there are a few moves like throws and cathcs that are easily possible with socks and next to impossible with fire

it's not true, check out my vid on COL for proof- there I do releases, catches and catches into one-hand weaves, with both socks and fire-poi.

Though, with fire-poi, I think it's very important that you don't use finger loop style chains, as they do made catches very tricky indeed.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I think there's 2 schools of thought with regar to poi spinners which can be summer up like this:

"Fire for show, Socks for a pro"

and

"Fire for heat, Socks for your feet"

smile

Sock poi aren't practice firepoi.

Everything can be done with all toys. I'm pretty sure i can keep tangles going with chains. It's not harder exactly, just different. The friction of the socks also causes a lot of problems when doing tangles, as does the stretchyess of them. Especially when they are damp.

Well there's my 2 cents, laters,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, talk to Andy, he uses chains all the time

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
biggrin @ poi poetry

(though umm wondering how long it took to come up with your catchy little insight wink )

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Written by: oli

however there are a few moves like throws and cathcs that are easily possible with socks and next to impossible with fire

it's not true, check out my vid on COL for proof- there I do releases, catches and catches into one-hand weaves, with both socks and fire-poi.

Though, with fire-poi, I think it's very important that you don't use finger loop style chains, as they do made catches very tricky indeed.

are you saying not to use the loops to catch the poi with? or are you saying to use knots instead of loops altogether?

I've never had any problems with tosses, except for using socks when I'm not particularly paying attention and then the slinkiness of the socks just slip through my hands smile or doing multi-person tosses when you're not facing the person wink

check out our group's entry's in the last COL (and the one before that if you're so inclined), all the throw's are done with the looped poi that you see not so fond of. course, we don't catch it with our fingers going through the loops, but that'd be ridiculous wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

okay i should i have said i find it next to impossible to do throws with fire poi, obviously its still possible with practise though... and thinking about it ive seen whip catches pulled off with fire, so yea.. it is all possible with fire.. i think the problem may be that the only time i spin my fire poi is when they are on fire at night.. and i cant see. i dont practise with them ever as i dont find them fun things to spin as they smell and are hard and pointy... unless they are burning in which case the fire makes them wicked fun... weavesmiley

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
my "Chutney Rope" fire poi don't have any metal bits, and have kevlar rope instead of chain. They act much more like socks than traditional chain link fire poi.

So i don't see why fire has to be so intrinsically associated with chain link, which are horrible rattly unpredictable beasts to spin IMO.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

jinx-raverbirdSILVER Member
59 posts

Posted:
i think sox poi are much like rope poi. they dont hurt, can be done in a smaller space and are much more forgiving with mistakes. but they dont look as good unless u put lights on the ends.

thats my thorts any way, sorry 4 butting in (",)

that will b alrite!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: fireNice

check out our group's entry's in the last COL (and the one before that if you're so inclined), all the throw's are done with the looped poi that you see not so fond of. course, we don't catch it with our fingers going through the loops, but that'd be ridiculous wink

OK, will do- what name are you on there as?

********EDIT*******

Don't bother- it's firetrinity isn't it?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*takes the following quote totally out of context and giggle for the next 5 mintues*

Written by: Misscorinthian

My husband is deeply in love with his socks

ubblol

Oh, and,
Written by: Oli

doing hyperloops with ballchain or wire is horrible

I was first going to shout "CRAP!" at you, then realised it wasnt. Sort of.
In my opinion, there is nothing better for hyperloops or airwraps than ballchain. Period. I belive this because I have found that the links between the balls lock onto each other when 'yperlooping, and will exit cleanly.
i have found that normal chain (dog leads et. al) doesnt feel as nice as ballchain.
I totally agree with you on the wire though. Poi should never be put on wire. Its rubbish - stalls go all "boingy" and ye kanny do hyperloops (cleanly) or airwraps. At least I couldnt when I had electroglos on wire.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Look whos talking Mr. I wanna be a fire raver... smile

I was just trying to prove a point... speaking of fire hybrids, which one are you again?

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Written by: simian

my "Chutney Rope" fire poi

Are they snakes or is there something in the rope that stops it catching fire? Maybe a stupid question, I dunno.

As far as socks vs. fire goes I don't have a preference. I definately don't agree with whoever said fire was for performance, or better suited to performance or whatever. I find spinning fire quite a personal, meditative experience. It's a multi-sensory thing that cuts you off from everything else, with the smell and the noise and the light, everything you sense is connected to the fact that you're spinning fire. I think socks are far more social, especially at more advanced levels. For stuff I've been practicing, mainly weave based stuff, I still need a lot of space, but the more advanced techy types all stand around together noodling away in the hall where I practice, which is nice. There's more of a communal feel to it, whereas fire is more one person standing on their own. I agree with the light problem too. If it's very dark and you're a fair distance from the spinner or your camera doesn't cope well with the bright bits in a dark environment then it's hard to tell what's going on. Especially with BTB stuff: if you can't see where the person is the it just doesn't work. I think it's definately a plus that it's easier to learn things with socks, I mean we don't go round proudly sending letters to eachother on the basis that it's more difficult than using a forum and therefore more dignified wink Incidentally, in WW2 the allies, or at least the British (and to be honest it doesn't sound like a very American thing to do) refused to use laser guidance for their bombs because it wasn't sporting. They missed. A lot rolleyes

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Lol... I really need to see that movie... Then apply to be a part in the sequel smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: Tom_Shill

Written by: simian

my "Chutney Rope" fire poi

Are they snakes or is there something in the rope that stops it catching fire? Maybe a stupid question, I dunno.

I've got a pair too - they're just a rope with a large knot at one end for the burny part of the wick and a smaller knot at the other end as a handle.

The trick is to only dip the large knot and watch how long they soak for, otherwise the fuel wicks up the rope and you have to spin very, very fast to stop the flames licking around your hands.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
OFF TOPIC-

Whilst I would love to claim responsibility for these wondrous 'chutney' fire rope poi, I must admit I totally ripped off the idea from Sphercular Matt (Spherculist), so whilst the reference is kind, it is misplaced smile

Also, in a twist of irony, I've gone back to ball chain with cathedral wicks- but I may change again, who knows smile

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Yay ball chain!

Don't mind me, just passing through.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I was using glow poi to practice for fire poi before I realised that they're just different. Sock poi I don't really like how they look when they spin compared to lit ones, but I appreciate some of the crazy tech stuff you can do with em, & I'll probably have to learn em when I run outta moves.

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
how about tangle-wrap-releases? hot wicks n chains all over your hands? hhmmmm. "oh i'd wear special gloves" another prop? less purity? double hand wraps would look lovely with fire, and all the more impressive because of the high chance of being burnt (or hurt, stupid metal)..

what came first, the sock poi or the fire poi?

every bit and piece has its place. neither is better or worse than the other. pros and cons abound in each camp. (darn damp socks!)

i dont think fire is the be-all and end-all like some people make it out to be. its just another medium. it seems that most people can do less with fire than they can with socks. does that make it better? does that make it worse?

what, we have different opinions? gasp!

(does anyone propeller with fire?)

i have far more fun with socks. isnt that what its all about?

thanks.

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Chutney fire rope poi indeed ubblol

hahahahaha

I can wibble with my eyes shut, what was this thread about again?

If you can't do certain things with your fire poi it's because you have bad fire poi, you should just design ones that you can do what you want with. Like Fire Wibbles (aka chutney fire ropes, which btw i shared with chutney gladly, there was no riping off involved)

Fire wibbles can tangle and wibble just fine, so what's the problem. Oh, YOUR fire chains don't throw or tangle too well. Then make some better ones that can.

m

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
What do you make these chutney ropes with? The only kevlar rope I've seen is really thin for making monkey fists. They sound awesome tho, Quite fancy trying it.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
You should look harder then Tom... There're quite a few different sizes...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Hmm these sound interesting to me too... I would think though, that they would be rather stiff? And would be limited if you like to shorten your poi by wrapping around your hand? What size rope wicking is it made from? Is it realistic to attach a different handle / metal ring or something on the end of the rope? How long does it take the rope to wear through because of a lot of tangles?

Personally, I think I'd rather have the chain right now... for ME, something like this to work would need a ring on either end of the "flexible, rope-not-chain" to attach heads and handles.

On a side note, I think infinite hyperloops are possible... just very hard to accomplish as you must spin the handles between your fingers while doing it (like when your blowing glass... and for those of you with a dirty mind, don't EVEN start...).

3,149 posts

Posted:
Written by: i8beefy2

they would be rather stiff?

hmm, a little. Moreso than chain, less so than wire. About the same as a sock really.

And would be limited if you like to shorten your poi by wrapping around your hand?

hmm, not really... i reckon its easier with rope than with chain.

What size rope wicking is it made from?

erm... mine's probably 1.5cm diameter-ish. Have to ask bovrilmonkey, he made mine.

Is it realistic to attach a different handle / metal ring or something on the end of the rope?

Well, you could do, but one of the main good points of the design is that you don't need to. Whats up with using braids or monkey fists?

How long does it take the rope to wear through because of a lot of tangles?

eek
wear through? from tangles??? i've been tangling ordinary socks for years, and never had any wear through. If they don't wear out, i very much doubt kevlar rope would be affected.

infinite hyperloops are possible... just very hard to accomplish as you must spin the handles between your fingers while doing it

that's crazy! i love it! biggrin

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:

On a side note, I think infinite hyperloops are possible... just very hard to accomplish as you must spin the handles between your fingers while doing it (like when your blowing glass... and for those of you with a dirty mind, don't EVEN start...).

Do your fire poi not have swivels at the handles? That's what they're for, you know...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

3,149 posts

Posted:
LTC - i assume that he meant swivelling the handles manually to power the rotation, rather than just to accomodate it. All a bit offtopic anyway... shrug

3,149 posts

Posted:
This is more on-topic:

a reason why having fire equipment with no metal parts is a good thing smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
But metal parts = free make up for shows like star trek! I mean, don't they whack the actors a bit with some ball chain to make klingons?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Generally, I've heard that you don't want your wicking to smolder.. so you want to put the flames out, rather than just letting them burn out, due to the fact that the wicking itself will burn rather than the fuel. Doesn't this impact a pure kevlar rope at the point where the rope has no fuel? Does this not compromise the integrity of the rope?

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by:

erm... mine's probably 1.5cm diameter-ish. Have to ask bovrilmonkey, he made mine.

Actually, the pair you have was made by the fair hands of the chutneymeister himself smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Page: