Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Why sock poi? A rant in regards Infinite Hyperloops and other moves

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Ok, so this may be random whining, but why sock poi? Every video I see is someone spinning some colorful pair of sock poi. I gave up socks when doing hyperloops because they simply did not act like fire poi during more advanced moves. I now use regular dog chains with tennis balls for heads instead, which is exactly what I spin fire with (thinking being, of course, that its better to practice with what you're actually going to use than with something that I'm not). There is a much finer distinction of how you must move when spinning with chain than with the far more forgiving sock poi. Plus weight distribution, and all that.

I understand the "be able to spin with anything anytime" mentatlity... I CAN spin socks just as well as chains, but chains seem to be harder and thus more challenging (and more frustrating). I also understand that its easier to learn NEW things with sock poi because they are more forgiving.

So why sock poi? And now let me explain my frustration.... Infinite hyperloops. There has been a few videos of these now, always sock poi. Chains just don't seem to lock correctly to maintain them (not ball chain, refuse to us it, too dangerous for the crowd).

So. Can someone assure me that infinite hyperloops are possible with chains... meaning you can DO them, not that they are theoretically possible, so I can stop whining about how much I dislike the profusion of advanced sock poi spinners? For that matter, whip catches, suicides, and others, which require a bit more friction (which sock poi provide) also frustrate me. Everyone seems to oh and ah over these videos that are all sock poi and in the back of my head I'm just thinkin, "yeah, but try it with CHAINS...". Cause with chains most of the videos I see would not be anywhere near as clean as they are with socks, and even WITH socks it seems a great deal of "forgivingness" is necessary for those people doing them to pull them off.

Im not tryin to put anyone down, just my own frustration and observations here. IS anyone doing these cleanly enough to use chains / are the advantages that sock poi give you necessary for them?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I don't know about infinate hyperloops, because I've never bothered learning them, although I'm fairly sure I've seen a couple of people doing them with fire poi. I could be wrong though.

However, not everyone spins with fire.
I can count the number of times I lit up last year on the fingers of one hand - it just doesn't appeal to me as much any more.
Also, the place I usually spin is inside a covered market, we're not allowed fire there anyway.
That's why I spin socks smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Written by: i8beefy2

I gave up socks when doing hyperloops because they simply did not act like fire poi during more advanced moves.

Everyone seems to oh and ah over these videos that are all sock poi and in the back of my head I'm just thinkin, "yeah, but try it with CHAINS...".

There seems to be an assumption that spinning non-fire poi is merely a form of practice for fire-poi.

For many, it's not- as BovrilMonkey says, not everyone spins with fire.

A while back I put up a poll here to try and establish what proportion of spinners on HOP are primarily into fire.

The result was that most spinners here (who replied on the poll) do not put much emphasis on fire, and many never use fire at all.

One reason socks are more popular than chains, is that they work better for many styles- it's the same in most arts, people tend to use the equipment that works best.

Having said that, for most of the last year I ceased to use my sock poi, and instead used my home-made triple-wick chain poi.

I did so, not as practice for fire (the wicks are clean and unburnt, and will remain so), but because I wanted to see if they worked well for the kind of moves I focus on (throws/releases/one-hand meteor style moves).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Did they work? smile

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Just to chip in- Nate does/ did some of the extended hyperloops stuff with chain and wicks (there is a small shot of him doing so in one of the Fal 3 vids, which is where I saw him doing it incidentally smile). So yes, it is possible and has been done smile Ballchain is a good idea though.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm in it for the fire biggrin

All the unlit spinning I do I view as practice for fire and given the choice, I'll pick up my chains before my socks whenever I can.

But I do own socks, because they have a few advantages over chains. I have rice in my socks which makes them ideal for indoor spinning in cramped spaces, I can hit things like framed prints, and walls, without fear of doing too much damage.

I found socks were easier on the hands for doing buzzsaw practice

But I don't hyperloop, with anything,,,yet.

I don't consider myself as able to DO a move, until I can do it with firechains.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
And indeed, my style is much more oriented toward fire (though I rarely light up much anymore either).

I still think sock poi are cheater poi. ubbloco

Ok fine, maybe I'll get some colorful tube socks and try and work out these infinite hyperloops... Im still interested in seeing someone do them with chains though. It seems to me that as chains legitimately get tangled and locked that spinning them in the way needed for infinite hyperloops isn't going to be easy.

And socks make whip catches way too easy too... smile

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

I still think sock poi are cheater poi. ubbloco

Yep, they are.
Chains are cheating too, as are cables, strings and anything else that's flexible.

Clubs are the only true path, anything else is just taking the easy way out of the wrist and hand movements wink

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Sock poi are the poi I gain the most satisfaction from as I can play with so many aspects of their form (ie you can play with them any way you like).

Fire is more performance oriented as I see it, and demands a different approach, thus I derive different pleasures from spinning fire prettily than I do from wibbling, tangling and generally arsing about with sock poi. Fire is absolutely not the 'real' or 'proper' poi spinning form. Such talk is pointless.

IMHO biggrin

JohnVentureBRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Well on the other hand of your rant, a rough estimation of half of fire poi videos are ruined by one factor: lack of light.

Whilst some spinners manage to keep their body visible with either low rythm or a good camera, the lack of lighting is very hard to predict and can spoil an entire rush.

Sock poi, being a daylight activity, often save this -which will probably further your perception that Sockin' is cheatin'. However it also allow other spinners to better see moves, transitions, tricks, etc. whilst with a fire-only vid you usually don't see more than the shape of the body and very little of the hands.

For the record, I used to train with tennis-balls and dog chain as well, which I quickly gave up after my 3rd encounter with Mr 3b-weave-in-the-crotch. I then promised myself that even for poi training, 'I won't let anything harder than rice endanger my abilities to breed'

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
This can be cultural as well. I find, as a gross generalization, here in the US poi is a tool for fire performace whereas in the UK it's used as a playful juggling prop.

I wrote a dissertation on it a while ago.

There are many differences between communities and choice of toys is certainly one of them. I think socks has actually helped the tech community rise faster that they would have without them.

I also found that practicing with DIFFERENT media actually helped me progress faster than with just the media I used to firespin. It seemed very counterintuative at the time, but it's true for me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I play with different things just to play. My beamers are mostly used in place of fire, I use the chains and it's good practice. I've done hyper loops, but never those nifty infinate ones.

It's been a while, but there's no substitute for having a solid spin with my tails. I agree, different styles for different props.

Socks are easy to learn on, but I agree, for performances, they're kinda cheating, but most fire videos all you can see are moving lights, so socks are a better option for day time.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
I can do infinite hyperloops with my ball chain. Never used dog chain. I have a different method than what Ive seen on videos though. I do more of a tangled isolation to keep it going.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Ok, sorry but I really don't understand the argument here- so what if people use socks, for performances, hyperloops or whatever? Yes I agree that they do make a lot of moves feel "easier" but why is that a problem?

My husband is deeply in love with his socks, and yes, he hyperloops with them and not his other poi.... but he gets so much enjoyment and satisfaction from using them- just because I prefer not to use them, who am I to critiscise and question his choice of poi?

On the subject of performances, again, socks are not my favourite- but they have their own unique effect, and (non spinning) spectators seem equally impressed as by other props. How is using socks cheating?

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:

Let's relight this forum ubblove

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Beefy

Ok, so this may be random whining, but why sock poi?

Why not.

Why chains?

Why anything but twine wrapped around a piece of fruit and beaten against a rock?

Written by: beefy

Im not tryin to put anyone down

well you're certainly not picking them up either wink tongue

IS anyone doing these cleanly enough to use chains / are the advantages that sock poi give you necessary for them?

Yes lots, infact the first time I saw Oli "Oli-ing" was with chains on fire.
The advantage of sock/cone poi are that they are more figiving, or, chains are less forgiving. Learning can be easier but that's hardly a bad thing. You can practise new ideas that you have for fire with socks/cones without the worry of smashing your face/balls/boobs or other such bad plane related injuries when trying new things.

Everyone seems to oh and ah over these videos that are all sock poi and in the back of my head I'm just thinkin, "yeah, but try it with CHAINS..."

And I bet you feel oh so smug when you think it too, in the nicest way possible try losing some ego and enjoy the tricks. I'm sure there are tons of moves that have been learnt with socks/cones that have inspired you to learn more with chains so go with the flow smile Enjoy what you have, enjoy what you see. Don't dismiss something you see with socks that you can't do cuz you think your version with fire is better

People also oh and ah over fire, and they grimmace at the bad videos of both regardless of the toy used.

I haven't found one move that can't be done with chains that can be done with sock/cone pio. Manky old cable on the other hand......... ubblol

Without socks I never would have learnt half the stuff I have as I wouldn't have been able to spin inside my house away from the cold and rain and mud etc. And I don't rate fire/chains any higher or lower than sock/cone poi either, they're just different.......but I do think that fire spinning has learnt far far more from socks that socks ever will from fire

weavesmiley

Let's relight this forum ubblove

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
those who think sock poi or tails are not performance oriented have obviously never seen a proper uv show.

the biggest spinning performance troupe that i know of do about half of their stuff with full uv costumes and uv tail poi, sock poi, flags and ribbons.

it looks at least as good as their fire sections.

imho smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
doing hyperloops with ballchain or wire is horrible, if you really want to make things difficult then use that, link chain (like normal chain that looks like chain) is cool for hyperloops though, and just as easy as socks.

however there are a few moves like throws and cathcs that are easily possible with socks and next to impossible with fire. but i think these moves also would not look thier best even if they were done with fire poi, id much rather see a horribly technical throwy ctachy sock poi session in the day light than the same thing done with fire at night, where its just gonna look extra confusing. (actually saying that, id love to see it done at night with fire, but only becuase i know how hard it would be, not nessesairly becuase it would please me on an aesthetic level...)

i like hyperloops with fire though, they look kinda magical..

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

i like hyperloops with fire though, they look kinda magical..

Alot of the stuff you do with fire looks kinda magical, oli (kinda.. hah.. understatement)..

*goes to watch sending signals to spaceships again.... drools...*

As far as on-topicness goes.. I agree with all of the above :P.. Some folks (like myself until recently) just don't have much of a desire to do fire, and therefore don't need, or care about, chains..

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

xavhanBRONZE Member
26 posts

Posted:
I can do a 360 hyperloop with fire!

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: xavhan

I can do a 360 hyperloop with fire!

Good for you umm

Fire is over rated. Gets you dirty, makes you stink for days, and is just..I don't know. Like Bov said, I don't like it as much as I used too.

My socks are my babies smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Gets you dirty, makes you stink for days.... Ah the joys of kerosene. I probably wouldn't light up quite as often if I had to burn that censored either.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
socks for the win!

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I ubblove my socks...
I ubblove fire too...

for me it's usually two different styles: technical silliness for sock poi and trying to prance,ponce and dance for fire poi

I don't see why one style has to exclude the other, why not seek the joys available in both?

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: LazyAngel

I don't see why one style has to exclude the other, why not seek the joys available in both?

The internet is not about "seeking joy", it's about convincing others that your way of thinking is the correct one. Now pick one: Fire or Socks.

Damn hippies. wink

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Look whos talking Mr. I wanna be a fire raver... smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Getting to the other side smile

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
I love spinning socks because I find them to be the most versatile of any kind of poi. I can bring them anywhere with ease, they don't hurt if you hit yourself as much as other toys, theres no fuel residue to worry about, plus I find there is a much larger range of moves that I can do with socks that just don't seem to work as well with fire and glowsticks. Spinning socks defintly isn't practice for fire for me. Spinning is practice for spinning for me, regardless of the toy. As for performances it depends on alot of things which kind of poi will best suit the performance. You should be able to dazzle an audience with any kind of poi. IMO

Stout- Don't get down on the kero. There is nothing better then seeing the look on the clerks face at the local gas station as a dreadie kid comes in the store around midnight, stinking of kerosene, covered in black soot marks, and buys a $1.38 worth of kerosene with change all because we need to have a few more goes before we can call it a night. smile

Peace, Love, Circles

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Hehe, it seems a few people took my post WAY to seriously... I never understand how people don't pick up on playful sarcasm... I actually felt like I was puting myself down for not being able to do things with my chains that you do with your socks... silly me. smile

Thanks, NYC for picking up the thread of my poor humor... maybe its an American thing. smile

See, in theory anything you do with your sock poi I SHOULD be able to do with my chain poi. As things you do with chains by necessity need to be very clean to do (specifically for tangles), and all of the infinite hyperloop videos Ive seen seemed to involve lots of off-kilter transitions and such that would tangle chains terribly, it has been furstrating me to no end, though in theory I know it should be possible to do them cleanly enough for chains. Im practicing them more now as I've been assured they are possible to maintain cleanly with chains.

And I actually do spin socks sometimes, I just don't have any of those nice colorful tube sock contraptions you people have so I'm jealous. ubbloco

Oli: as for throws and catches, I've been doing these for ages with my fire stuff. Its easier for me actually because chains don't have the "bounciness" socks have, and are more predictable. They look cleaner too I think.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oh, and for reference: I still don't think its possible with dogchain because dog chain "locks up" if it is spun around so much. Maybe with regular chains. Or if you continuously turned the handles WITH it like you were rolling a pencil inbetween your hands with your fingers...

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:

I still don't think its possible with dogchain because dog chain "locks up" if it is spun around so much. Maybe with regular chains. Or if you continuously turned the handles WITH it like you were rolling a pencil inbetween your hands with your fingers...

See my may 05 video for ballchain hyperloop reference

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

Page: