Forums > Social Discussion > The all important thing called Stretches.

Login/Join to Participate

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
In all my year and a half here, I've never seen a thread on stretches, so if there is already one, I apologise...

Well, I'm starting to really get into the stretching more so than before, trying to increase my flexibility and such. Can anyone give examples of stretches that are good to use?

I am specifically concentrating on my hands and fingers (for multi ball CJ. I managed to strain a muscle in my ring finger the other week and it was tender to palm spin for three days redface), my legs, my back, and my shoulders. Of course any advice on any stretches for any body part would be most welcomed... In fact, I did pretty much mention the whole body...

Drew, what stretching exercises do you recommend before a CJ session?

Body poppers, any stretching/exercise tips?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Go to a yoga class if you want to increase flexablilty in general.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Oooh... Yoga...

biggrin

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
or buy a yoga dvd and do it at home it can be fun and none embarrassing if u topple lol

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'd advise going to classes with a good instructor. DVD are ok when you know what you are doing, but I think a complete beginner needs someone there who knows what they are doing to guide them.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
when I did poi I used to stretch and warm up before spinning.. mostly wrists and shoulders.. basically by prentending to do windmills with my arms and rotating my wrists a bit before starting.. just moving them gently in their sockets and trying to get the full range of movement out of them. Touch your toes a few times and twist at the waist.. don't push it so far that it hurts!

I used to also swim for a club and they made us do that sort of thing before we got in the pool.. yeah a yoga dvd is fun and edjucational(if you don't have previous experience - but think back to sports lessons at school!) - but why spend money on something that is pretty much available on a google search? biggrin

https://ergocise.com/wrists.html

EDITED_BY: Stix* (1136666238)

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
TricksTutorials was where I learnt most of my stretches... thou it's always fun finding a new one...

https://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flx2

https://www.trickstutorials.com/index.php?page=content/flx3

and it's even funnier now he's got new pictures...

also the good old:

https://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
*gazes wistfully at that site*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
Written by: Skulduggery

I'd advise going to classes with a good instructor. DVD are ok when you know what you are doing, but I think a complete beginner needs someone there who knows what they are doing to guide them.

ive done it with a very well known instructer via dvd starting from basics onwards cause of suffering from agro phobia for a large part of my life

as long as u follow the dvd steps properly and its a approved uk dvd it should be ok like most workout dvds

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I always have a wee stretch before a spin, then a warm up with non burny poi. biiiig circles, to loosen up the shoulders smile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

OrangeBoboSILVER Member
veteran
1,389 posts

Posted:
I started yoga classes yesterday biggrin my back hurt a bit lastnight, and today my shoulders are complaining rolleyes

~ Bobo

wie weit, wie weit noch?
fragst mich, wo wir gewesen sind...
du fehlst hier

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Big circles are very good. Always do that before spinning. Flower type movemants. Trying to get your hands as far away as your body as possible, and turn them as slowly as possible, gradually pick up speed.

Although spend most of the stretching my hip joints, whether I'm spinning or not.

You've heard what they're like..

*click* *pop* *aaaargh!*
EDITED_BY: *Aimée* (1136880015)

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Whenever you're warming up, start small and work out. Start with the point of your body that is further away from your body centre, so fingers, then wrist, elbows, shoulders. Keep the movement small and compact. Once you start to warm you can then extend your joints. The idea behind this is that it takes more leverage and effort to move a long lever (like a arm or a leg) so you need to start with small levers.

You need to be careful with your back. To start gaining flexibility in your spine you need to twist, extend and bend. Twisting should be down with ultimate care and to gain anything from twisting, you need to make sure your hips stay forward and your shoulders turn. This should be done slowly and carefully.

Legs - well, not sure what you want from this. If it's to do the splits or something i would advise you to work slowly concentrating on you abs and ads. These are the muscles at the top of you legs. The best way is to do a grapevine step but keep your hips facing front so it's the inside and outside of your legs working. There are also a few stretches i would recommend to work your hamstrings and your quads but i'm not too great at writing the correct alignment down so that it's easy to understand - i would have to show you (don't want to get sued or anything!). When stretching, please remember alignment of feet and golden rules such as no knee over your toes.

Feel free to give me shout about anything...

[/end keep fit teacher hijack]

Gayle.....!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Well, with my legs, They're screwed at the moment.

I sprained my ankle about four years ago, and it's never been right since. It took so long to heal, and I was on crutches for ages, that one of my calf muscles started to atrophy real bad... I've now managed to build the muscle up again, but the flexibility in the tendons is poor. I can't even touch my bloody toes!! I'm hoping that in stretching, the tendons won't be so annoying and cause me so much pain every now and again... To get anywhere close to the splits would be amazing! At the moment, I can't even sit cross legged for very long without it hurting... redface

Be Water My Friend.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Gimmie Five!

In the same boat! (apart from the ankle...)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
For your finger and wrists check some rock-climbing sites. There's a good stretch where you put one arm straight by your side, with your wrist bent so that your hand is near enough perpendicular to your body, fingers in line with the rest of your hand. Then you reach accross with the other hand and gently lift the fingers of the stuck-out hand. You'll feel it pull through your fingers, wrist and right up to your elbow. Initially there won't be much give in the tendons but i develops quite quickly. It helps me smoothe 5 beat weaves out when they get crunchy at the back-to-back hands stage. It's good for tennis elbow as well, stuff like that. Hope I've explained that well enough. If not I'll show you at york.

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
*it develops quickly

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
As everyones been saying... Yoga or pretty much any other form of martial arts have really good stretches to share with everyone...

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
My advice, as a massage therapist is firstly to find someone competent who can evaluate your current frexibility to determine where you need to focus on the stretches.
A group yoga lesson, unless there is the opportunity for individual instruction may not serve you well.
You need to know your limitations and work on the individual muscles.
For example. You say you cannot touch your toes, It is important to know if it is your calf muscles, hamstrings,lower back muscles, or any of the joints which are the restriction.
In my practice I use a lot of PNF stretches and find that these get much better resuts than static stretching..