NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
what would be the best way to counteract bad press?? do you think it's better to ignore and hope it goes away, or try and counteract it somehow... quick response is better?

The reason I am asking is that today on a national slovene tabloid, the Art Center where I have spent the last six months volunteering has been slated on the front page, as being a place for junkies and alcoholics where they make no art!! This is bad for them, very bad, because they rely on individual project funds to raise the money, some of which come from the government.... without the funds, there will be no projects, but this kind of publicity does not help at all!! They have struggles really for the last five years to make Art Center work, It is only a small voluntary organisation, and i really want to suggest something to help, but i just don't know a good way to deal with something like this?!

i need Max Clifford, but he's expensive i think... frown pisses me off. mad

has anyone had experience of a situation like this and got some bright ideas?...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

Psychaoticanewbie
20 posts

Posted:
A fundraising fire-show would be good, as well as possible shows once a month.

*shrugs*

While I don't have much experience in this thing, I do know that people love fire and even if they did just come to watch people get burned, they came didn't they?

(Also, charity burns for Cancer, etc.)

Goodluck with that.

Later days,
Drake

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Well they say that all publicity is good publicity, but I can see the problem in this case. I'm sorry thats happened, its a real shame. Firstly, what range of classes and activities do you have. You could organise a day event, maybe for families, something that would intrest a lot of people from your community, maybe donating the money for that day to a good cause, or just to raise awarness of your cause, and invite, at least, the local papers. It might not compleatly cure the bad press, but you have to start somewhere.

Remeber that over time, it will be forgotten anyway, but I'd definately say you should try to do something to raise the profile of the centre. And if you do a lot of good work for the community, if the centre is there to help people with personal difficulties, then maybe you could get a complaint published, saying how the paper slagged off something that helps the community.

Sorry, if I'm not much help, but I hope that gives you a few ideas. I think if you try it is better than sitting back and doing nothing, even if you think it won't make much of a difference, because you don't know what else it might lead to.

good luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
i assume the story that was printed is lieing over exagerating. i would try to get a story printed to counter it. show the true nature of center, and the good you all do

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

1,643 posts

Posted:
yeah, the story is over exaggerated, but people are too quick to accept these lies because they have always been around Art Center since the beginning. This has a lot to do with the fact that it is the first centre like it in Slovenia, people don't really understand it.

I totally agree with all of you about creating some good publicity, i'm not actually there at the moment so the fire show is a bit difficult (plus it's snowing) but i will pass on all the ideas. They have also problems of being in a rural area, so it's hard to get people to turn up to the events when you want them, but i was thinking that maybe if they put together some document of the events that have been taking place already recently, this could help....

it's so frustrating!!!
but thanks everyone smile

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
It may be a good idea to get a story into a local paper, or even a competing national paper, that shows the reality of what you guys do.

A local paper often is more willing to see the local community in a positive light, and also is targetted at your community (the people you want to be supportive of what you do)

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

Psychaoticanewbie
20 posts

Posted:
Misrepresentation and slander do not become a publication that is suppose to report truth. It shames me as a writer that one would write something such as that...

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ermmm.

You should contact the editor and voice your complaint. Don't be aggressive, but ask him/her to visit the centre for themselves.

Explain the work the centre does, the people it helps, and why it has an undeserved reputation.

Get the centre manager to speak to the editor.

Get your friends and the centre volunteers to write letters to that paper, and it's competition, voicing your concerns.

Try to ensure the centre works in and with the community. That way, the paper will be reflected in a bad light for printing something the community knows is not true.

Good luck

Getting to the other side smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
--- if someone wants to get something wrong, they certainly will shrug --- for a variety of reasons

I once wrote a letter to a newspaper-editor on a misstated article that was totally missing the point and he tore my statements and message totally apart and back in a wrong context - AND commented it according to his viewpoints... eek

IMO you should still voice your opinion and try to set the record straight - at least you tried shrug but maybe consider to send this to more than only one newspaper - in this way you have proof of the original content of your message and the chance that another newspaper pick up the topic (maybe even only to prove the first tabloid wrong).

Not every press is good press. Everything leaves an imprint with the general audience and at some point they don't remember the initial context anymore, but they surely remember the impression they gained. I can sort of follow up on your opinion and the feelings you have. Unfortunately people like this editor are very common...

hug good luck

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

1,643 posts

Posted:
well, we shall see how it goes, i have mentioned to them about making a press kit (yes, i have been speaking to someone who is studying PR) and we shall see what happens. I think that community thing would be a good approach also, but there is a problem here in that Art Center is a bit scary to the local community already and they were the first to spread this same rumour, only recently have they started to have more trust and interest, so unfortunately cannot guarantee some reaction from them... and if there was, can't be sure what it would be... I'm hoping that they will be able to put this press kit together and send to all the media, because it would be helpful in a lot of ways... i certainly feel less pissed off today, now i know things can be done. Thanks for all the good luck wishes, i really hope it blows over, for the sake of the idea and for all the people who work there.

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Not every press is good press per se ... but any press is a jumping board for good press - if you react smartly.

Look at it that now someone has raised attention towards you - that's step 1 for success.

Now you need to fill the attention gap - by deeds not words. Leave the words to the press, your weapons is the art.

As first step you should go out to streets, schools, kindergardens whathaveyou and perform, and make sure to leave a professional, disciplined, artistic image.

Invite the press to these performances, use the bad article as tool to attract the press - if the bad press guy doent come (which he should as its his story) then his competitor will certainly come - if only to tear his rival apart. Whatever motivation the press has, a story has been opened in readers minds - feed this attention and keep the fire burning.

To keep the fire burning, you then do a "open house" party as second step. This can be a major fundraiser and if you manage to add a charity share to it, then this becomes a "poor artists support childcare" thing in people minds ... that leaves a positive image.

Basically, every attention is an opportunity, the worst that can happen is that nobody looks, because that means nobody care while you're starving in oblivion ...