Forums > Social Chat > Virtual reality scares me.

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
No, really. We have these exceedingly bizarre convos complete with actions.... why?

someone tel me why we do this?

and why i shouldn't be scared by it?

like treads where we have beer and peanuts...

or convos where people get injected w/thorazine...

but for real? why?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What sicko would inject you with Thorazine in an IM convo? Wait...how did I know it was an IM convo?

I think we do it because it's sort of along the lines of what we would be doing if we were in person.

And if not, because it's fun to play "make-believe" and since that's "against the rules" in normal adult life, we can do it online instead.

Also, because I'd love to see what happens to an otherwise healthy person when I inject...I mean...when they are injected with thorazine.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
confused...

I love virtual reality...I am quite intrigued by it, and read up on it here and there.

But what is a convo? short for conversation? and what's IM? and why the thorazine?

Is this some kind of medical application of VR we're talking about here? I don't recognise any of these terms...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
IM = instant message
convo = abbreviation of conversation.
As for the medical jargon, looks like a private IM convo to me.

Seriously though, Kyrian, I understand where you are at with finding these things bizzare. It has taken me years before I dared to start giving virtual hugs and chocolate cake and I still sometimes feel very silly when I'm doing it. But when I'm on the receiving end of virtual presents or hugs it makes me feel nice.

I cannot answer why you shouldn't be scared of it because as I see it there are no right or wrong feelings, feelings just are. Being scared maybe your subconsious's way of telling you that it's not quite sane to be eating virtual peanuts.

So here's a virtual reality hug and a bowl of chocolate m&ms to help you get over it

Are we nearly there yet?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
yay thistle, thx

mmm...yummy chocolate.

and the Thorazine is Mikeg being weird, cause i had develped a twitch from my shcool fees, and virtual valium wasn't curing it.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

884 posts

Posted:
Okay...so are we talking about virtual reality in terms of virtual reality online chatrooms? Or are we referring to the :actions: we make in our posts?

Sorry 'bout this, still just a bit .

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
both, plus im's. and confusion is fine i don't mind answering questions, i'm the asker half the time.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Mark PBRONZE Member
old hand
1,031 posts

Posted:
When you have to worry is when you start asking yourself - 'so am I in a Virtual Reality game then.'

The answer is - Who knows? It could just be the big game of life

P

884 posts

Posted:
think I got it now.

I like VR. I'm very much fascinated by the brain and perception and such. The possibility of augmenting/overriding/creating senses is utterly tantalizing to me.

What is about VR that scares you, Kyri?

Ooo, and has anyone here seen Existenz?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
more real than real - 'waking up' to the astral element of your existence. Objects may be slightly moved. You can fly. There is freedom from the fear of physical death. more real than real.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always