Forums > Help! > UK - Please donate your old sock poi.........

Login/Join to Participate

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
This is a plea for people to donate any old sock poi to me. I am about to venture on a new era of my life and start teaching dance again with a view to giving up work. One idea i'm looking to try out is to try and incorporate poi into one of the classes. I would like to have some old sock poi for people turning up to the class to play with. I think i would need about 8 sets.

Just the shell of the poi will do, as i can provide weight for them (plus it's cheaper to send). I don't want to spend money on buying new socks for people to use as i'd probably put myself out of pocket by about £20-30 and i'd like to encourage people to buy sets for themselves, hence the reason for asking for old poi.

If you are able to help me, please PM me and i will give you my address to send them onto.

Thank you in advance guys, i know how good you all are at helping someone in need.

Gayle.....!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Just as an idea, you can get socks from hypervalue for 50p a pair, bit crappy but good enough for what you want....
then bird seed for the weight ...

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
what's Hypervalue? Never heard of it!

Will they do pretty patterned ones or just plain ones?

Gayle.....!

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
? whats Hypervalue ? crazyness can't believe you have never heard of it hypervalue is a cheapy shop, maybe it is confined to cardiff...

they do a very limited slection of plain socks, or whatever they got cheap from random places . . .

as I said just an idea ... if the response of donated socks does not materialise

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
Obviously I'd love to help out, but my old sock poi would be enough to put people off for life! ubblol

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
what about lifeline/charity/opportunity shops? Even if they don't regularly sell them, you could ask that they hang onto any socks of the right sort for you, and if you pay them a bit for them, then they'll almost definitely do it.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
yeah, hyper value is a south wales thing matty, the guy was from barry, although i'm sure i did see a random one somewhere in.... england...! maybe it was a dream. but it's just a cheapo shop like poundstretcher or similar.... i'd be happy to raid hyper value for you, if you want me too gayle smile but maybe i also have some spare long ones already, i will check. it's a shame all the people in't street before xmas have disappeared because they had stacks of different ones...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
poundsaver, poudstretcher, or those sell-everything bargain stores that are about sell cheap ass socks, usually for a pound! Got ten pairs for my juggling club for ten pound...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
looks like it's trawling the cheap shops. Cheers guys. smile

Gayle.....!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Gayle hun, why don't you just make some of your poi in uber cheap fabric and use those? Wouldn't that make it more likely they will buy your poi rather than just getting socks for themselves?

I'm sure I have loads of off cuts of bits of fabric you can use if your not fussy on colours and such.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Great minds think alike! During my mammouth hall hunting session this morning/afternoon i decided to do that!
Call off the search! All sorted, they're all gonna be using Hyperloop poi instead!
smile

Gayle.....!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
well that makes a whole lot of sense, i did wonder why you were asking really, i assumed you'd already thought that but couldn't be arsed... biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
what about old ties with weights??....

or your fab cone poi

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu