Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
Ok. I did a search, but coulg not find anything on this topic. However I know some of you are news junkies like me, so if there is a thread on this already I appologize.

I have been reading in the news over the past few weeks to a month, about people taking tours of areas Katrina hit. Now I personaly feel this is a little untasteful. But there are others who think it's good for people to see the devistation first hand.

From what I was reading it's about a 50/50 split. Now the groups have said that some of the money is going to Kartina related charities and such. But the one i read about charges $38 for the tour, and donates $3. Seems a little low to me.

well any way, what's your opinion?

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Written by: Str8Jakit

I have been reading in the news over the past few weeks to a month, about people taking tours of areas Katrina hit.

what as in like guided tours? like and on your left we have such and such? thats pretty distasteful. I understand if it bring money to the area and to the families, (which I doubt they will see much of anyway) but still don't you think it is WAAAYYYY too soon? I think a lot of time needs to be given before something like this should go ahead. Nowadays you get all sorts of tours, here in London you can go on the tour where Jack the Ripper killed his victims etc, wouldnt that be very distasteful if it only happened yesterday? What if people did the same now for Milly Dowler or Sarah Payne? Maybe comparing murders of children to a hurricane disaster in which many peoples lives were ruined is wrong, but I definaltey think something like this is too soon and to be honest I can't see it being helpul.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

135 posts

Posted:
From what I read on msnbc, yeah it's a guided tour. Sick as all get out huh? I lived in Key West when Andrew came through. We had to evacuate. Luckly Key West just got some winds, but I remember driving back through the devistation like it was yesturday. Personaly I would have kicked the crap out of people taking tours...

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
so three dollars more than the zero that would have been donated if they hadn't gone on tour yeah....I thought those who've been vistims would be happy for every penny of support they could get!

I don't see what's wrong with it, people visit Vesuvious remains, people visit the twin towers site and buy momentos, etc etc. What's so different about this? It's not like those on tour caused it or penalise/degrade those effected by it.

Written by: Str8jacket

Personaly I would have kicked the crap out of people taking tours...

Yeah that's the attitude, you show them your adult approach to dealing with something you don't like, treat it with violence and solve the problem rolleyes

Let's relight this forum ubblove

135 posts

Posted:
dunc: yes $3 is more than $0. and yes if my house would have destroyed, and people were coming to site see, it would have caused me to be violent. at least i'm honest about it. biggrin and you can't site there and say that you would not be, at the least, annoyed that people were taking tours, and snaping photos of you and your family trying to dig your life out of what use to be your house.

if people want to help out by donating funds to Katrina efforts, they can do so with out going down there and taking a tour. and if the people hosting the tours were giving more than 10% to the relief/rebuild efforts, maybe it wouldn't bother me so much.

New Orleans is not the place for tours right now. there's alot more going on down there than what is being reported in the news.

i respect that fact that you think it's a good idea, and i'm sure there are others that feel the same. i'm hoping to get a good debate out of this, and see many diff opinions. but by making your "adult/violence" comment, you're getting way off my point, and being immature yourself. no disrespect intended

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Str8

by making your "adult/violence" comment, you're getting way off my point, and being immature yourself. no disrespect intended

Yeah being against pointless violence is incredibly immature wink

My point was that it would be a waste of time and wouldn't contribute even a tiny amount to the crisis, heck you could even get injured beyond repair after surviving a catastophie.
I agree I would, at the least, be annoyed with buses trunking at 5mph through my streets with happy snappers flashing away, I'd also be happy when some of the paid for releif comes through and at no point would feel the need to be violent towards my fellow man as an angry reaction to something caused by nature. And sorry for being off topic, but you raised the issue in your opening post.

I couldn't agree with you more that folks should donate eg £10 from home instead of taking an expensive tour and only £3 going to relief efforts but I find it hardly a serious enough issue to get stessed about.

135 posts

Posted:
oh i'm not stressing. it just seems shallow to me. lol trust me my friend, the only thing that i stress over is raising my daughter. but that's off point.

it would seem that we need to agree to disagree on this one. i will say this, violence would not solve anything, in that asspect you are totaly correct. but speaking for myslef, and knowing the aggression i tend to show in stressfull situations, i know how i would react. hence why i try not to stress. right or wrong, doesn't change what i would do.

respect Dunc :bows with eyes locked:

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
"rahspect" meditate

smile