Forums > Social Discussion > Reiki - what makes me shiver?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
For quite some time I experience a strange physical feeling with people who are practising "Reiki"...

It's not only internal, but also physical - meaning that I get goose bumps when having interaction with "Reiki"-practicioners. This even works while on the internet exchanging eMails... eek

Mostly the feeling is kind of "neutral goosebumping", sometimes somewhat positive and sometimes very negative...

It seems to be in high fashion to get "Reiki"-initiated and I don't want to judge it here and now on any level - but have my very own approach to it out of my own experience.

I would like to put out for discussion:

1) Why "Reiki" initiation?
2) Do you have had similar experiences like the one described above?
3) What are your personal experiences with "Reiki"?
4) Would you, or would you not like to see "Reiki" as "the universal healing tool"?

Now I put this in "Social Discussion" umm not in "Social Chat" and I'd really like to see some fundamental input - for all other, please use PM's.

Yes, I'm asking for "personal" experiences - individually rendered impressions - not some 3rd-hand "my cousins grandmothers cleaningladys dog got cured from rabies and I reckon that's a good thing"

ubblol ubbangel devil spank wink
-------------------------------------

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
My +13 healing ability laughs at your Reiki! tongue

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I know people who do reiki but have no personal experience of it, but when anything comes really close to the back of my head, especially on the right hand side, my entire body tries to tense up.
I'm of the opinion that spiritual healing is a mind over matter thing, but I also think there's nothing wrong with triggering that through ritualistic healing cause the end result is in this case more important than the process.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by: Patrick the Bubba Badger

My +13 healing ability laughs at your Reiki! tongue

ubblol umm ubblol

PS: I'm neither promoting, nor practicing Reiki myself...

and

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
i also have no experiance with Reiki. i know one person who pratcies it, but that's as far as my knoledge goes with it. but the fact that you get a "sensation" that's interesting. does it happen just with Reiki people, or anyone the is more "in tune" than normal folks?

sense i was a child i have always been able to sense others, um, energies . when i walk into a room i can tell who is on my spiritual leval. we normal gravitate towards each other. when you come into contact with Reiki, does it feel like your soul is trying to jump out of your body? mine does when i come in contact with other spiritualist (is that a word)

you may be in tune more than you know. perhaps your energy is looking for a way to be released or channeled. do you meditate or practice energy manipulation?

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm a reiki healer (woop!)
I found before being attuned to the reiki energy that I could channel energy from my hands with lots of meditation.
However on my first attunement it felt like hot spears were being poked through my palms. Now i can channel energy on demand. Plus as you're channeling the universal energy you dont feel drained. Whereas before I was channelling my own resource so i'd feel tired.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
My bloke has completed his second degree Reiki. He is not practicing as he does not believe in the principles. But this is what he has to say on the subject......

"When you put your hand close to someone's body, it will feel warm - you are often touching small hairs on the body, and there may be a small bioelectric field around each of us - which you may be able to feel (this is open to question). It does not mean that you are exchanging energy, or that this energy could be used for healing.
The placebo effect is probably strongly coming into play here, and research I know of suggests that the benefits of Reiki are no more than one would find with a placebo.
Having said that - the benefit of lying down, eyes closed, meditating, while having someone who cares about you, and is supporting you, can only be a good thing, and probably goes someway to helping the healing process.
I think that there is a problem when people confuse the ability to meditate - when you feel calm and are focused upon your body, and may gain a feeling of power or strength - with Reiki healing.
Finally, unfortunately, the story about how Reiki began has no supporting evidence and is possibly untrue. So there is no evidence backing the practice other than that which is anecdotal.
So, in answer to your questions:
a) With organised followings there are often layers, which must be climbed in order to progress. People find this attractive and strive to get closer to the "inner circle".
b) No -but you may experience the goose bumps due to feeling in awe of a Reiki healer, or in expectation of what they can do. They could also be psychsomatic as your body reacts to the "otherworldliness" that you may imbibe Reiki healers with. I don't know, I'm just guessing.
c) see above
d) No. I am not keen on faith healing being universally accepted with no research evidence to back it up. (That is not to say that I don't believe in the unknown - I certainly don't think I have all the answers.)

The fact is that I, personally, do not believe that Reiki works. Or if it does, it is not because of the reasons that it purports. However, I do not wish to offend anyone who does or believes in Reiki treatment - anyone who feels that they have the power to help people who need help, and try and use this, should be admired.
This really is just my opinion."

These opinions are not those of DrBoo, but of her lovely fiance, Pablo. So if you disagree, don't shout at me....

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I have some experience with Reiki healing, and with a more complicated form called Pranic healing (same concept, but "reiki" is only one form of the energy, uses colors to specify different functions).

Why do you have to be initiated? Well, first of all, you've got the money issue: if you have to be initiated then you have to have someone do it, so you must pay them. This is either (a) bull $#!%, or (b) a faith building exercise which makes you believe because you paid for it, ie cognitive dissonance. Then you have the explanation which is that you have to be initiated because your energy pathways need to be cleansed and the chakras in your hands and head opened up so you can siphon energy off the great beyond through your hands, and it takes energy to do this, which YOU don't have yet (but will after the initiation). Of course this begs the question, who initiated the first person?

Thus you have organizations springing up like grass roots reiki which either give away free attunements (the actual word for the initiation) or offer you a way to do self-attunements through a simple meditation.

Does it work? Well thats a whole diferent issue. There is scientific evidence using heat scopes which show that when practicing your hands actually DO get quite hot, even when raised over your head (ie less blood flow thus this SHOULDN'T happen), but this may be more a matter of more focused control of your body's homeostasis. In Pranic healing (big in India) there is a big following. My boss does it and swears by it. Claims he has personally healed tumors for people. Of course this could all be mind over matter. As I already said, the initiation seems to be a faith building exercise for the practitioner.

I suspend judgement. I do think most faith healing is dependent upon believe. Thus they just serve to focus the mind on a specific bodily healing task which aids healing. That is to say, it MIGHT be possible to heal cancer, etc. yourself, we just don't know how but somehow extreme belief that you can helps facilitate it. But then I'm no doctor so I have no idea if Im talkin out my bum here. I doubt that a medical professional would agree.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Reiki has nothing to do with faith. It is not faith healing. it is a japanese art form.
I didnt pay to be attuned, my friend's mum is a reiki master and she attuned me and her cynic brother on the same day. After the initiation he is now a believer as he felt the same as I did with the lightning type feeling through the palms.
As for who was the first person, it was Dr Usui, who founded Reiki.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Thanks all for the input so far smile

@drboo: if your bloke has this understanding of Reiki, why did he take attunement to the second level? Is he (at this point) intending to "complete" the cycle and move to the 3rd?

@jo: you seem to be only one in here with first hand wink information smile

I can follow up on the conception of healing by administering your energy (or attention) to another person and you are saying that you were able to do so (which I do not question in any ways) also before "attunement". But then only with a meditation and having "after effects" as being drained. Am I correct in my perception so far?

Now after the attunement the energy is available on demand and you're not suffering from aftereffects.

My questions to you: Did or do you experience any side-effects from practicing? Is this form of "channeling energy" (this is not meant sarcastic) exactly the same kind of energy that you experienced to have before attunement? Can you - at any stage - reverse the attunement?

@drboo and jakit: not exactly - I was sometimes feeling this sensation when only exchanging personal emails, while reading and verified after I experienced it - the answer was positive. So I couldn't speak of psychosomatism.

I did "play" around with my energy as a child - when having to attend sports competitions I did meditate in between the competitions and my results improved sometimes dramatically.

Meditation seems inevitable to me actually (esp. reg. how my energy is coming across these days wink confused wink )

LouchGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
While I am not a practioner of Reiki, I am a practioner of Therapeutic Touch (it's extremely politically correct cousin). At least within Canada Therapeutic Touch is widely practiced within hospitals as a form of complimentary treatment for patients. It is allowed in the hospitals here since it does not actually involve any contact between the administrator and the patient and also because it subscribes to no paticular religious philosophy.

I think the second fact is what drew me to Therapeutic Touch because I could learn without feeling a specific religous view being imposed upon me.

I often perform Therapeutic Touch on myself as a form of meditation and I find it's more effective then some meditation practices I've experienced in the past. I find any meditation where you're sensing your bodies energy as opposed to retreating within your mind helps prepare you for any form of physical activity.

Finally in response to FireTom's inquiry about other people's reactions. I also often get goosebumps when interacting with other people's energy feilds. And after learning more about it I slowly learned how to give myself goosebumps with just thinking about it. I lost the skill (i think, haven't tried in a while) because it was useless but it's nice to hear of other people's goosebumping reactions. And yes negative goosebumps are a thing that can be very interesting to reflect on.

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

drboo: if your bloke has this understanding of Reiki, why did he take attunement to the second level? Is he (at this point) intending to "complete" the cycle and move to the 3rd?

My bloke (Pablo)'s Dad is a Reiki practitioner. And, although he did not think that Reiki could do everything that it was claimed it could, Pablo did not want to make assumptions about the practice, and the people who did it, without studying it first.
No, he won't be going up to the next level.

Boo x

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
With Reiki, you are acting as a vessel, a kind of tunnel in which the energy from the Universe is channelled through you. In this way the only effects are positive ones (in my experience).
I like to meditate and play about with my own energy on a personal level, but channelling reiki is different.
When i practice reiki I feel at one with myself and I feel very relaxed, it is a very positive experience. And I'm not channelling my own energy I dont feel drained and I dont feel I am giving away a big part of myself (if you get my meaning).
I hope this helps smile hug

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
yo,

I pretty much agree with everything said so far, even the contary statements.

Ill say that theres lots of stuff about energy and hands, and you can use this how you like, weather its psycosomatic or not is really beside the point, tho intresting in the case of other peaple and your reactions.

anyone see derran brown teaching his marks to nock someone over with 'psycic' energy?

anyone been 'slayed in the spirit of the lord'?

so thease two exapmles show you reacting in a way because thats what is expected of you, even tho it feels involantary.

however.

ever known who was ringing before you picked it up?

ever thought of someone just before it even rang?

ever been stubling around tripping and arrived at exactly the right place?

now,

is there any real diffrence between thease two?

can you play?

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Sorry DrBoo... I used your term ("bloke") - had no right to... wink smile
So what would be the cause in Pablo's understanding, that I have these certain feelings with people I have no idea of them practicing ReiKi? Also while only exchanging eMails (with some)? There is no soma in this one - as I don't have this emotion with many... confused

So far I was getting experiences and verifications, that Reiki (as other metaphysical practices - however questionable they might be to the majority) works over long distances, too - so without personal contact. And that it - as all powers - can be abused. Any power can - if put in selfish use.

Did he, his dad, or you, Jo have any "spooky" experiences in connection to this? My personal experience and some informations of "attuned" people have sometimes worried me.

But thanks for the input so far smile

DrBooBRONZE Member
453 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

Sorry DrBoo... I used your term ("bloke") - had no right to... wink smile

Silly! It's OK. I've called him far worse..... wink biggrin

People who practice Reiki reckon that it cannot be used in a negative way.
Pablo's would also disagree that Reiki can work over distances. So he would not hold with the idea that you could be picking up on their energy - negative or not. (But as he disagrees that Reiki works close up, this is hardly suprising!!)

As for spooky experiences. No, none connected with Reiki.
But when I think of my friend Nikki, she doesn't ever ring! How weird is that!? wink
Sorry, it's just that sometimes odd coincidences happen, and in my opinion it would be very strange if they never did. We're all suprised when we realise that our friend called is within 24 hours of us thinking about them - but this, and more unusual events, happen. And they can seem really strange, dramatic, or at least send a shiver down your spine. When something happens that is felt by those involved to be unexpected or dramatic in some way, there is a tendency to look for an equally "dramatic" cause for the event. The idea that it is "mere coincidence" is not usually considered.
People tend to look for something more impressive that coincidence, and are more likely to consider a supernatural, "psychic" or religious explanation for the event - the "Oh, Wow!" syndrome.
You say that you feel uneasy/shivery when in contact with people who do Reiki. Perhaps they have a style of talking or writing which is leading to these reactions in you.
Perhaps it is just a coincidence.

I don't at all mean to undervalue or dismiss the experiences of anyone. And although I have written this whole long speile - I too get freaked out when strange coincidences happen. eek biggrin
The bottom line is that, whatever you believe about Reiki, there is no evidence that these people could use their power over distance to hurt you. So try not to worry
ubbrollsmile

Boo x

strooSILVER Member
trusty sidekick to superman
799 posts

Posted:
Before having reiki myself i was a bit of a skeptic. I wasnt really convinced that laying hands on someone could channel their energy and how that would happen (damn my scientific brain but thts just the way i think). However after a reiki master said that he could make me sleep , and being the insomniac i am, i thought there was nothing to lose and i gave it a go. And by zookes it worked. Not sure how or why but it did. Afterwards i was thinking about it though and wondering if it was possibly just having physical contact with someone that had that effect. I mean, surely someone touching your face in a slow theraputic way could have similar medatative effects as, say, a massage and so cause someone to be chilled out, or fall asleep even? im not sure what i think... its just an idea....

Livin' on dreams and custard creams

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Glad it helped you Stroo biggrin

Spooky experiences with reiki? Umm, the ability to pass energy through my hands is good enough really! but none i can think of.
I do "know" who's ringing me and who i've got a text from a lot of the time. Sometimes i know my phone is ringing when it's on silent.
This has nothing to do with reiki though, as i've been able to do that for as long as I can remember. I seem to be very sensitive to energy.
hmmm.....

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
I am attunted to the first level in Reiki actually. I've chosen to not take it any farther. Reiki, for instance, has some very specific tenemants which I disagree with. One being the attunement process, as I've said. Paying to be attuned is bull, and Dr Usui DID say that this was important and necessary specifically because the attunee needs to feel like they are getting something for their money to givei t the propper respect (or faith I think).

Now, I'm a skeptic by nature, so Im not saying these things to degrade anyone's beliefs, but this is how I see it...

Next, you have the basic philosophical precepts of the "art". There is this universal energy that is conscious, or at least "good" and is drawn to ill areas naturally (but apparently only when given to you by a channeller, ie you can't do it yourself, you must pay someone else to do it for you, which was ALSO a precept of Dr Usui's I believe...). This energy, unlike everything else in existence, can ONLY be used for good, not evil, and its impossible to harm someone with it. There is NO methodology (ie all those little hand placements are uneccessary... the energy goes where its needed without your input, so why even have the hand postions?).

It can work not only across space without direct contact, but across TIME too somethow. Im seperating this one out specifically. It doesn't even require your conscious effort. Apparently, you can just tell the energy to go, and KEEP going, and stop practicing yourself and the energy will have been "programmed" somehow to keep healing that person by itself. Your not channelling anything at this point, your directly changing the energy, which seems to go against the very ideas Reiki is based on, or at least what they tell new practicioners. And it goes across time to heal old wounds... but that can be seen as psychologically healing current issues that are carry overs from old ones. Oh, AND Reiki heals psychological problems too, forgot that one.

Let's see, there's also these symbols that you "send" to your recipient to do specific things (again, when the basic precepts say this isn't necessary, like the hand positions). Doesn't even matter what the symbols are, and there are litterally hundreds of variations.

Oh, and following treatment, your symptoms WILL get worse before they get better. Couldn't just be your body workin it out now could it? Well in Reiki its because its your body getting rid of all the toxins involved at one time.

And on top of all of this there is the fact that it has never been done under controlled conditions.

===

Now, as an aside, I AM attuned to the first level. I DO know people who swear by it, and I myself have performed treatments on people and had them say they felt better (including physical injuries). BUT Reiki itself Im going to say is bull based on the SYSTEM involved. Oh there may well be a Chi, or Prana, or energy involved, I actually believe that this is quite possible. But the Reiki system is lacking and self-contradictory in many ways.

However, PRANIC healing is like Reiki V 2.0 and makes much more sense and is better worked out in my opinion. I recomend it over Reiki. And Tai Chi / Accupuncture and Dim Mauk (the good and evil uses of the same energy, Chi) have specific examples of first hand experiences that really suggest there's something they are doing... I have been tapped and fallen on the ground in pain for several minutes. Now THAT'S immediate results... So I do believe that there is something going on, and that Reiki may even work in some cases given some circumstances (faith, quality of person, etc.) but as a system I think that it is flawed.

As an aside, following my attunement I did feel similar to the given experiences. Im told not everyone feels this, in fact, it varies specifically to person to person. Even if you "dont feel anything happening" its supposed to be ok, you should just "know that it is". Again sounds fishy to me. Nevertheless... did flourecent lighting bug the hell out of you for a week afterwards? It did me.

Note that I'm still suspending judgement, but I wouldn't follow the Reiki path for energy manipulation anymore. Id do Pranic healing first. But Im more interested in Tai Chi right now.

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Oops, double post, but one final note: If it works for you, then do it. If you don't know, try it. It is a worthwhile experience... Im not upset about being "attuned" as I didn't pay for it.

I do recommend looking into "Grass Roots Reiki" though if you want to pursue it, or find a reputable "master" who will do your attunement. Don't pay for it. Unless you want a certificate or something to make you feel better. smile
EDITED_BY: i8beefy2 (1136761215)

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: i8beefy2

And Tai Chi / Accupuncture and Dim Mauk (the good and evil uses of the same energy, Chi) have specific examples of first hand experiences that really suggest there's something they are doing

[...]

Id do Pranic healing first. But Im more interested in Tai Chi right now.

Qi Gong biggrin Qi Gong is everything good about prana and pranic exercises in an extremely nice form, I've found.

Had no idea what reiki was before reading this thread, by the way, so thanks all for enlightening me. The notion of having to pay to be attuned to anything energy-related sounds extremely dodgy. There are countless forms of energy-channeling which are free, open to anyone, and all accessible using what you're looking at now.

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I am a reiki master, and have been practising for the past five years. Reiki was gifted to me, I didnt pay for anytype of attunement and in turn I also attune special people for free. I have never, and will never, charge for healing or giving a gift of reiki.

Attunement is the process of raising ones energy handling capabilities through use of symbols to allow stronger flows of energy through the hands of the practioner and into the body of the patient.

The symbols are like a key to a doorway full of energy if you will.
we use the symbols to open the door and the energy can flow through more readily.

I took this from a website on reiki

"The Reiki symbols have traditionally been kept secret. While secrecy is a way of honoring their sacredness, there are also metaphysical reasons for this. There is power in secrecy and this is also a way of maintaining a sacred connection with the symbols. Since the symbols have no real power without the attunement, it is better that they be kept secret until the class. In addition, if a person is shown a Reiki symbol without the benefit of the attunement that empowers it, they may incorrectly believe they have Reiki and not bother to take a class, thus missing the real experience of Reiki and losing the benefit of its healing power. While it is true that the symbols have been printed in some books, this does not effect the value that comes from an individual not showing the symbols they have received from their Reiki teacher to others. The value of sacredness will remain for anyone who continues to not show them to those who do not have the level of Reiki where those symbols are taught."
reiki site

I personally believe that the symbols are scared, but yet not secret. I have the symbols and will only allow them to be given to the student when they are ready for it.

I was given my second level of attunement only a month after my first level and became very very sick with an energy sickness. I felt almost as like my energy was too big for my body and threw up every day for a month. I know now that my second attunement was way too fast and that I should have been allowed more time to let the energy settle into my body more.

i have had so many experieces with reiki... some as the patient, some as the healer... two stand out for me....

my reiki master has boiling water spilt all over him from an overflowing radiater... he comes inside screaming with pain...my instinct takes over and I lay my hands on his back directing healing to his forearm.

within minutes he tells me that the pain is leaving and that its not stinging the way normal burns do when oxygen hits them.
His arm is already starting to blister, but within 15 minutes they seem to have dispeared and the redness had also gone from his arm. The energy felt amazingly strong and was coming in waves through my body and making my body rock and sweat. Jae then said that his arm had almost stopped hurting completely. I was so amazed and to be very honest shocked at what had just happened...I had never seen reiki work so fast and effectivly. The next day Jae had only a very small red patch on his arm, similar to shiny new skin after the scab has fallen off a wound. It was smaller than the original burn. He also had no pain.

My other experience that really left a mark on me was when I dislocated my knee. I was in excruiting pain and al of a sudden I felt two pairs of hands on my back...the familiar flow of reiki started through my body...I managed to turn my head and say to the strangers.... "Reiki hey?" They both smiled at me and continued to heal me...I was so thankful to them because the spasams of my muscles stopped and the pain lessened considerably.

These experiences are my own and I do expect some people to pick them to pieces considering all people have their own opinions, but I do believe that these experiences are beautiful and scared to me, so please be respectful of them.

Just for today, do not worry.
Just for today, do not anger.
Honor your parents, teachers, and elders.
Earn your living honestly.
Show gratitude to everything.
smile smile smile

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
As I said Valura, if it works for you, it works. Im not saying it can't work, Im just saying as a system Reiki is flawed, while the underlying precepts of the pure art of energy manipulation / healing can still be very much real.

ie you may call it Reiki, and those precepts that you use may work fine as a means to using energy. Im just saying the way that the Reiki system explains it is self-contradictory. Other systems explain it better.

Im glad it worked for ya though.

LouchGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
I agree with Nearly all gone on Qi gong, this is a fabulous system for interacting with energy feilds. Unfortunately I am unable to find anyone in my area who is practicing.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Valura, biggrin
thanks for sharing.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@ all: thanks for all this input clap

I have to ponder about it for a bit, because I consider this to be a sensitive subject (at least for me) and at 2:30 am my mind is not really focussed anymore... meditate

But again: Thanks a lot smile

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Written by: Louch

I agree with Nearly all gone on Qi gong, this is a fabulous system for interacting with energy feilds. Unfortunately I am unable to find anyone in my area who is practicing.

https://www.cdha.nshealth.ca/facilities/nsehc/treatments/qigong.html
https://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~taiji/

Both in Nova Scotia... but I know it's not necessarily close enough still. Just a thought smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Dear Valura,

you seem to actually be the one in here with the most experience on the subject. I have had my experiences with some people using Reiki - some of those experiences were very negative. I have no judgement on the practise itself and am not seeking for one. All I would want to do is gather informations. If I'm not able to put this in appropriate words- please excuse me (English is my second language) - I have deep respect for people who are looking for to utilize their time and energy to heal themselves and others.

A friend who is very much into meditation and energy work has told me 2 years ago, that she was attuned to Reiki (way back) but discovered that the practice and the connection to this energy was weaker than the energy that one could develop from her/himself - which would require more effort. To quote her: "How can you bring out your own light, if you are blinded by another? To overlay your own energy with one that is not coming from within, but from without does not help the individuals personal development." She stated it took her quite a long time and much effort to get disconnected from ReiKi again.

Please let me ask you:

I personally have not much information about the founder of ReiKi, nor do I have much comparison in "energy work" - but I notice quite a number of people who let themselves get attuned (without gathering any informations about the subject beforehand and therefore) have no idea, what they are stepping into. Also some of them do have little stability - due to early age and/or experience. Becoming attuned gets much like a fashion, trendy that is - especially in India and other places in Asia, where western tourists take this as their "asian part of the journey"...

Now as some of the individuals are either very young and/or not prepared for the "powertool" wink they get at hand - the danger of abuse is imminent. Even though practicioners say that it's impossible to do harm with the energy, IMO any form of energy can be used to harm someone - how/why would that be different with ReiKi?

Also some practicioners "draw" those symbols on every forehead they come across - without caring whether or not the individual is interested in receiving (that energy). Isn't that intrusive?

Written by: Website

"(...)Since the symbols have no real power without the attunement, it is better that they be kept secret until the class. In addition, if a person is shown a Reiki symbol without the benefit of the attunement that empowers it, they may incorrectly believe they have Reiki and not bother to take a class, thus missing the real experience of Reiki and losing the benefit of its healing power. (...)

Why so, if there is no use of the symbols without attunement? Must this practice not make people either curious or suspicious of the practice itself?

Where is the energy, that one receives through attunement with ReiKi different from the universal or individual energy that every person as a human being holds?

I understand the way to provide scholarship, as (for example) it's sometimes potentially dangerous in martial arts classes to teach the technique without the adjactent and necessary practice of meditation. Is there any meditation "practice" mandatory for ReiKi-scholars?

In your case you didn't waste much time to advance to the next level, potentially harming yourself wink Isn't "usually" one obliged to wait for about a year before moving to the 2nd level? Also in this year, isn't one required to refrain from certain things, i.e. substances to purify mind and body? And I wonder how this might or might not be verified by the "Master" or even considered by the scholar himself.

As I said I observed some very different situations whilst in India and some even take attunements (1st, 2nd, 3rd level) as a very reasonable source of income...

Written by: Valura

Just for today, do not worry.
Just for today, do not anger.
Honor your parents, teachers, and elders.
Earn your living honestly.
Show gratitude to everything.
smile smile smile

Nice one clap

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
In answer to your original questions...
1) shrug
2) Yes. I once had a very powerful experience involving what can only be described as hardcore goosebumps, the likes of which I had previously not known.

I can honestly say that it's my opinion it was more than that as it covered a larger area and was somewhat more shrug ... Also, for about 3 days afterwards I could recall that feeling (induce the "goose bumps" for a prolonged time) at will....

3) I have received it on many occassions for abdominal pain. It's hard to say if it improved due to crampish eb and flow nature of the painbut I was certainly still in major pain throughout.

4) Erm...Dunno anything about how it works....so no. shrug

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

atomicfairynewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Well, I just got attuned to Reiki about two months ago. My mother attunes people. She's a Reiki master. It's not an "initiation". It's an attunement. It's like fine tuning an ability that was there all along. It's a learning process so that you know the history, symbles, hand positions, and so on. My mom also gives out a manual on what hand positions are good for what and other articles. You don't always have to pay, and actually a lot of "Reiki Masters" these days don't teach it the way it used to be taught, and very little is learned in these classes which cost way too much money.

It used to be that there was just an exchange. Not necessarily monetary exchange though. Somewhere down the line that just became the norm. My mom doesn't teach it for money. she teaches it because she wants others to learn how to use Reiki and to help others heal themselves by using life force energy.

I do believe that someone could be so stubborn as to repeat to themselves that it wouldn't work on them, and once they received a healing, may not be affected by it, but then again it may change their minds. It just depends on how open the person is to it. See, in order to practice Reiki on someone, the person has to let you do it. This lets you into their energy field. And if the person is really not being receptive to the persons energy, then it's possible that the energy will not penetrate.

Some people rub their hands repeatedly to make them warm and get really close to your face or whatever body part, and they are not really practicing Reiki, if they do this repeatedly just to keep their hands warm - that's just a result of friction. Reiki is not even always warm. It can be cold or it can be neutral. And you don't have to have hands so close to feel it. There's even Reiki distance healing where the person could be on the other side of the world and the energy can be sent to and felt by them. My mom and a few of her students, and I have Reiki circles twice a week, and the hands could be inches above the client and the energy can still be felt.

In your case, you may just be sensitive to energy, some people are more sensitive than others. Animals are most receptive to the energy and I believe it's because they have no judgement. Animals are generally receiving to anything. My mom has helped facilitate a dog back to proper health after it had not been eating for weeks, felt sickly and would just lay there in the owner's house. After the healing, the dog jumped up, hugged and kissed my mom (like dogs sometimes do). the owner said this was most unusual and that the dog doesn't do that with anyone and hadn't even moved for a while before this.

After I got attuned to Reiki, my boyfriend had a headache, and he was even skeptical of it, but said that he was open to it because he didn't want the pain, and if it worked, then that's good, and if not, oh well. So I did it, and he said the pain was gone. He was quite pleased smile

My mom has also helped her friend with brain tumors, and now he is starting to be able to function normally again and is getting color back in his face.

She also doesn't charge for Reiki. She does energy exchanges. As long as something is exchanged, be it a service, or a thing, or even money, it's fine. Whatever the person can handle. And she accepts love donations if the person so chooses. But we also offer it for free when we do Reiki circles, but then everyone gets worked on by everyone else.

I really have a feeling that you are just sensitive to the energy. And just so you know, whenever someone has received a full treatment, they usually feel kind of light headed and hot afterward, and possibly dizzy.

The practitioners do not feel drained or any such thing. We do not take energy away, we are just channeling the life force energy of the world. The energy of creation and healing.

Anyone can choose to believe it or not believe in it, but the truth is that it helps heal lots of people. One will not know the effects until they have allowed it on themselves. That's the only time that a person will really know if it works for them or not.

It may not always cure everything, and you should still continue to follow the advice of doctors while under Reiki treatment, but that doesn't mean it won't continue to help you.

And not only does Reiki help heal physical ailments, it also helps emotional problems.

I agree with Valura, and I also know that little saying on the bottom of your post smile
EDITED_BY: atomicfairy (1137495103)

CrazyHippyChickSILVER Member
errrrrr what?
198 posts

Posted:
i do reiki healing. i had been interested in healing forever but could never afford to take any of the couses that were offered locally as they are expensive. i recieved my attunement at play festival last year by complete and utter fate and with a little help from the gorgeous georgie B. For anybody who was there and remembers moonbeams cafe, there was a chap who worked there called archi who gave me my attuement free of charge. Now that i have been given this wonderful energy i have vowed that i will never take money for it as it was given to me as a gift and i will pass it on as a gift. whilst being given the energy for the first time i felt light and float immediatly afterwards not only had the awful headache and sickness ( which i admit was a hangover from the sat night!)
gone but my physical appearance had changed too< yes im aware of how crazy this sounds! my eyes were brighter my skin was clearer and my hair was cleaner i looked and felt alive< i went to leeds festival almost straight after play with only a day to go home and recover from the fantastic weekend that was play< During this time i experienced flu like syntoms which i put down as a consequence of partying in the rain instead of going to bed i later descovered it was common to experience these after recieving reiki as the bodys way of healing and dealing with the energy recieved and ridding of anything negative> i think what is clear here is that everybody experiences are different> when i heal myself or others my hands get hot and they feel like there is water flowing from them> i instictivly know when a part of the body has had enough healing as the sensation stops or in parts that need more healing than others the sensation is stronger>
traditional reiki has connections within buddhism although what most people consider to be reiki today is something very different> its like chinese whispers many have put their own interpretations to it and many use it to make money which is something i personally disagree with although a traditional reiki healer considers this necessary to preserve it>reiki doesnt just work on a physical level but also on an emotional level and often when i feel anger or hatred towards somebody i give myself healing to rid myself of negative emotions> i think somebody has already mentioned the placebo effect debate and this is something i am aware of but i know that reiki works for me and i know that the sensations i feel are real and that is all i care about i dont pretend to fully understand something that nobody will ever be able to understand but am happy with the gift of healing that has been given to me>

I'll come back as fire and burn all the liars and leave a blanket of ashes on the ground.
I could write the new bridget jones diary only mine would be more bizarre, funnier, dirtier more unbelievabe and bloody true!

Page: