Page:
DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well I quit smoking for the umpteenth time yesterday. I decide to try again afer I found out that cigarette companies have to try and recruit 25 new smokers, mainly young people, a day to make up for the number of smokers that are dying.

I was also told that in China, because of the lack of law there, cigarette companies put something like 4 times the nicotene in cigarettes. Around the rest of the world they have genetically modified the tobacco so that nicotene is absorbed more efficiently, meaning that even the lower nicotene contents we see on cigarette boxes mean nothing.

I've smoked for years and have always hated the idea but feel nearly trapped or something. I know the cynics will say that it is easy but it's not. When you've been doing something every day for years it get's rooted in your mind more than body. I'm not looking for sympathy but I do think that non smokers don't realise how hard this can be.

I am not a weak willed or minded person and I am going to try as hard as I can this year, but I was just wondering does anybody else who smokes feel as stupid and wish they never started?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
im going to be the first to say it good luck and well done...

the problem is...im not addicted to smoking but i do enjoy doing it..i dont know why and yes...before any of you sound like my mum/...i know its stupid and i know i will propbably die from it...but hey...we are all going to die some day of something...you may as well die opf something you enjoy doing.

Two things have really concrened me abouyt not stopping smoking
1) a video we watched a few years ago in school about smoking...a man had throat cancer and had to have a hole cut in to his throat through which he could breathe and talk...that REALLY put me off.
2) if i have a familly....and kids...i dont want them to grow up without a father..ie i die when they are in their teens as it is the hardest time for a person to live in...im doing it at the mo...

thats my little rant...once again..well done for trying and good luck!

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Yep - I been smoking on and off since I was 11 thats nearly 15 years .. my dad works in the tobacco industry and I have grown up around tobacco bales and auctions and stuff like that - I don't really want to give up smoking - I enjoy it - and there is are simple pleasures of sharing a smoke with a friend..

But I do wish I'd never started..

Smoke rollies - proper cigs are full of all sorts of chems.. stick a filter in a rolli and you'll be fine.. may look like a crusty hippy but your wallet won't take such a hammering!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
I wish I never started either. I have been smoking for 12 years! But I have got better - I rarely smoke in the daytime, just in the evening, and I smoke rollies. And sometimes I can go for a few days without one.
My dad died of throat cancer from smoking, he smoked since he was 9!
but it has not made me stop completely, I think because it was quite a sudden thing and I lived about 350 miles away so I did not have to watch him deteriorate.
I think the best time to try and stop is when you have a cold or cough, because then you don't feel like one and maybe then you can carry it on when you start to feel better. I gave up for 6 weeks once, but then I did not know what to do about smoking the other with friends, and it sort of crept back in.

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Congratulations on your decision to give up the demon of tobacco. I wish you all the luck and will power in the world.

Advice from an ex smoker:

I say it's a demon because in my opinion it is. It's a demon who robs you of your health, your precious energy, your looks, your money, and eventually your life.

No matter how long you give it up for the Nicotine Demon's voice will always be in the back of your mind, when you feel low or you are drunk or you are lonely, saying "Go on just have one, you know you want to". You don't have to listen to it or take heed of what it says, you can stay true to what you have decided and fight each battle and win as it comes back to haunt you. If you lose the battle sometimes and give in to that one cigarette the war does not have to be lost. Each battle that is won makes the voice a little quieter. Never give up giving up!

Take it one day at a time at this early stage. Say to yourself "I'm not going to smoke today". Each time you crave a cigarette, sit quietly and breathe deeply for a minute or so, the urge will pass. Make a list of why you've decided to give up smoking and in the coming weeks look at it when you feel the urge to smoke to remind yourself of why you're doing this. Avoid situation in which you would normally smoke quite heavily for the first few weeks.

The mood swings will be gone in about a week or so. A mild depression may follow but this will clear in a few weeks.

Enjoy being able to breathe freely and spin for longer. Keep your practice poi with you at all times, it is a good distraction and keeps your hands occupied.

I have been giving up for almost three years. I still have little slips now and again but I take my own advice that I posted here.

All the best to you in your quest.

Are we nearly there yet?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Deepsoul,

First of all, congratulations on your decision to quit! Even if you don't succeed this time, the most important thing is that you are willing to give it a try. That alone is half the battle, believe it or not.

Now, given the fact that this is your eleventieth time trying to quit, let me make a suggestion: make an appointment with your doctor and tell him/her that you want to quit smoking, but that you've tried many times to go it alone and you've failed every time.

Your doctor can help you by prescribing various quit aids. Some of them make people a bit nervous (Zyban, for example, is an antidepressant), but many of them are relatively easy and a lot less harmful than the cigarettes. You might need to use a nicotine replacement gum or patch. I'll warn you that these quit-aids are more expensive than cigarettes, but in the long run, they save you a lot of money.

And as much as people want to try and be strong and go it alone by "cutting down" (which almost NEVER works) or by quitting cold-turkey (which rarely works), your best chance at success will be if you use an aid. It doesn't make you a weaker person or in any way take away from the value of your achievement if you do. It just makes you more likely to quit.

Finally, open up the phone book and see if there aren't quitters support groups in your area. It sounds hokey, but having other people who are going through it with you can be one of your strongest weapons. You can help motivate each-other that way. If you're in Dublin, call 1850 201 203, which is the Irish Cancer Society Quitline and ask them for help. They can give you good information on quitting resources available in your area.

Also, remember that you aren't the only smoker who has tried to quit and failed before. Don't be afraid of failure. Accept that it might happen. Just remember that if you don't succeed, try, try again. Don't beat yourself up over it, just pick up and try again.

I think a lot of people don't realize how hard it is to quit. Even smokers don't truly appreciate it, which is why they are often a bit surprised at the amount of work it takes (between going to the doctor and/or using quit aids and/or using the resources available on quitlines like the one I gave you).

Best of luck, and if you need any more help, feel free to drop me a line at MikeGinny@aol.com. If you need me to send you disgusting autopsy specimens of smokers' lungs with COPD and various cancers, I can do that, too.

Congratulations again! Keep us posted on your progress!

[ 28. November 2002, 06:01: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Hmm I guess it's a bit like alcoholism - once an alcoholic the AA say you are always going to be an achie.. I guess its just a battle that goes on.. maybe one day I'll give you the dreaded weed and smoke pure! But that might be really expensive!

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
oh i don't smoke the filters make me cough.

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
good luck!

I am weirder. I have never smoked, but i often want to. Something to do with nanging out with so many people who do, and especpecially when ai worked in restaurants. It's this little nagging voice... i keep trying not to give in.... but then i think, if it's this hard for me not to smoke, what must it be like to giv eit up?????

kudos to ya dss!

good luck!

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I have never smoked, although sometimes I have been tempted to. But I have good mates who scream at me loudly, even though they smoke themselves.

Out here, one of the major tobacco companies gives its employees smokes as part of their pay packet. They are reviewing this decision, saying that unless people "opt in", ie you are a smoker & you say you would like that, they won't be doing it anymore. The reason given? Recent research in to the health implications of smoking... I suspect they don't want their arses sued.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

.fireproof.member
56 posts

Posted:
You know what? Everytime I end up quitting smoking tobacco i end up with more time on my hands.....

when you need nicotine it's becasue your body is

under plenished from nutrients....ususally for

so long that it almost benefits from the

nicotine. Thoug actually the body is an awesome

thing...it will change overnight if you give it

the right nutrients, because it is in the

nutrients that help the body to create more

MEMORY. Right now you're probably telling your

body to REMEMBER the NICOTINE. But if you try

what I 'm about to tell you you might get a

chance in there to give your body a new MEMORY.

Serious this MEMORY can change your body because

thtas all the body is is a MEMEORY. I was an

avid smoker and this was before I started

rolling my own (which made me smoke less by the

way, which is not important here because YOU

want to QUIT) I DON"T BELIEVE in CHEMICALS TOO

much so the idea of getting a pressciption is

rather dull and antieverything life force about

what your body is CAPABLE of. Anyway.....

here's what you do

Start juicing!!! I mean it...like you'll stop wanting to smoke after a day of this stuff. Get yourself a reliable juicer I'd say the cheapest
45$ maybe cheaper..and make yourself this juice:

------------cabbage
------------carrot
------------apple
------------squash
------------ginger

the more fruits you put in to it the more chance you'll want to smoke...so JUST stick witht the VEGETABLES. But for your first day the apple will make it taste better

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
Awww DSS much good luck to you! And if you can't do it this time, there's always a next...
I think we should form a quitting HOPpers support group: I've quit a gazillion times too: stupid thing is, I've never been a "real" smoker, at my "peak" i was smoking 2 or 3 rollies a day on avarage - which meant none on some days and more when i was out drinking, or spending time with smoking friends.
It's even less than that now since i quit buying my own about a year ago: i just steal them off smoking friends (don't worry all you smokers who are really annoyed at friends who do that - i buy packs of cigarettes for the people i smoke off, i give them more than i actually smoke from them) So i'm down to about one a day on avarage - and usually i put it out about halfway through because the idea of smoking is nicer than the cig itself. Anyways, i can't seem to quit smoking those last few cigarettes!! I've tried countless times, but i always go back to smoking one a day (smoking flatmate and smoking boyfriend don't help btw - i always tell them never to give me cigs again, and then find myself begging for one a few days later...)
I was going to post about this and ask people about their experiences anyway - you beat me to it DSS. But whaddaya say we do the support group thing here, who else is trying to quit?

Anyways, good luck, good on yer, and we can do it!

Charlotte

everyone's unique except me

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
Quitters never win

Jesus helps me trick people.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
wow.... yes good luck at giving up. I actually want to... I don't smoke HEAPS but I hate how it takes energy away ... I love having energy... I have also quit before (for 6 months) and was feeling better than I have in years. You don't realise how much it takes from you until you replenish your body...

But I took it back up again when I broke up from my now ex-boyfriend. Lots of stress involved... particularly horrendous breakup involving cops and lots of money and stuff. Anyways...

Thistle, Mike and all others... fantastic insights... really good. Gross photos would be a good way to go actually, for me.. (I'll look at em every time I feel like one).. and good point Thistle, about keeping your poi with you at all times. Doing stuff with your hands is soo addictive in itself

Thinking about also taking up some kind of super-physical activity..like climbing or scuba-diving..something where you really NEED 100% of your lungs working.

Anyways... good luck with it deepsoulsheep...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

iopmember
35 posts

Posted:
Heya im new here, so hi and stuff
about smoking and giving up all it came down to for me is will power and if your strong enough you'll do it if not then your fooked

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving isn't for you!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
WARNING!!!!!! IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH, SKIP THIS POST!!!!
I'm warning you! I look at photos like this all the time and they totally don't bother me, I'm not quite sure how gross they are!
You asked for it, S-P-L-A-T! Don't blame me!
This here is a picture of emphyzema caused by cigarette smoking. Emphyzema is the destruction of the walls of the alveoli, or the tiny sacks where the air winds up and blood is oxygenated. In this lung, the front of the lung (on the left) and the base of the lung (on the lower right) has a texture like home-baked bread with huge holes in it. This is because the walls of the alveoli were destroyed, leaving these huge holes. The center of the lung looks like a sponge, which is more normal. Note the black rings from smoke around the bronchi.

The loss of the walls of the alveoli has two effects. 1) Less surface area to exchange air and 2) The lungs become less elastic, meaning that your lungs are always hyper-inflated, which basically pushes on the rest of the lung. Patients with severe emphyzema are oxygen-dependent.

Non-Https Image Link

This is small cell carcinoma of the lung. It is the most common cancer to occur in smokers. Small cell carcinoma of the lung is incurable. It causes bizarre endocrine effects (like secreting hormones that throw off your ion balances and cause you to go into seizure or cardiac arrest). It is treated with chemotherapy, but chemotherapy can only put the disease into remission, not cure it. The average survival after diagnosis with small-cell lung carcinoma is about five years. 2-3% of patients survive it. 95% of patients with small-cell carcinoma are smokers. I saw a patient this morning who was diagnosed today. He was 32. And yes, he had smoked since he was 16.

Note in this photo how the tumor is just everywhere. This can happen in weeks. Small-cell carcinoma of the lung is a medical emergency.

Non-Https Image Link

This is a microscopic view of small-cell cancer of the lung. As you can see (or just trust me) the cells are all very small, as cells go.

Non-Https Image Link

-Mike

Mr Boycemember
1 post

Posted:
Just popped in to offer my support... I too am trying to knock smokes on the head and know how hard it is, but if anyone can do it a DeepSoulSheep can - go for it dude

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Hi there,
Also smoked on and off, with a lot more emphasis on on than off, for years, and know how rough it is, so just wanted to say good luck!! One thing I've noticed, as someone said earlier, was keeping your hands busy. Poi are great for this, but they aren't always the most practical solution, esp. at work. Try pen twirling - not as fun, but it can keep you occupied. A good site is www.pentix.modenstudios.com (not too sure how to make this a link).

May the force be with you...

Don't worry, be happy...

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
just had a look at my post, and the link seemed to realise it was just that. One more thing to add: At the place I work, they operate a no smoking policy anwhere in the building - fine. Now they have changed it slightly, we can't smoke outside the building??? This means we have to walk down the road to have a cig - how irritating, humiliating, inconvenient, etc...

Don't worry, be happy...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by tadpole:
Try pen twirling - not as fun, but it can keep you occupied. A good site is www.pentix.modenstudios.com (not too sure how to make this a link)
heh heh that's cool, and a starwars reference to boot!

valuable nugget i want to share as a ex-smoker:
-when ifirst tried to quit, i'd last until the friday pub night, where a pint in the hand caused the other to need a cig. to finally overcome this huge mental hurdle, i'd imagine myself not needing it, visualising quitting before quitting made the transition waaaaaayu easier fer me. I did it gradually, but momentum was important. pride at not having a ciggy when Brazil won the world cup was a proud moment for my lungs congratulate yourself!
But to be honest, two other things helped me that may not apply to others: I hallucinated that ciggies tasted like horse poo at a castle rave once (sooo realistic!!), and i developed my mental strength in the spiritual path - i don't drink coffee and don't have any THC at all.
I definitely would love to help out quitters tho. It's such a valuable task.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Well I learned something last night anyway. If you try and take the bull by the horns and go out on the town when your not smoking you will drink very very very fast.

I drank a pint of bud, a vodka and red bull and a double vodka and red bull in the time it took my girlfriend to drink one vodka and 7up.

Didn't end well. We ended up fighting and I made a show of her and myself in front of a lot of people. I think she's going to break up with me but we've been having problems lately.

Anyway, after not smoking until 1 in the morning I caved cause I felt I had and excuse and smoked 15 cigarrettes in about 3 hours. Feel so bad about it though that I've been avoiding posting here all morning.

Will try again soon though once I have my head back together, I really feel I won't be smoking by christmas.

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
*stand up* Hi my names Morph, I've smoked for 8 years
Deep - don't be too hard on yourself, you went the whole day with a smoke right?

I wish I never started too, and today I quit. (I tried to quit yesterday, I was really constipated and ended up smoking a couple of ciggies with the excuse that it would help a bit of bowel movement I just shared too much right?)
I have smoked for 10 years, properly for 8 years. My old HoP name was Marlboro!! I liked my smokes.
I have really wanted to stop for a while now, and over the last week I've been enjoying my smokes less and less. I've been thinking of the damage it does as the smoke goes down my throat and into my lungs, and the taste became nasty, but I made myself keep smoking for a few days more just to set it in my mind how nasty there are. It seems to have worked, granted it's only day 1, but I'm having some full-on nicotine cravings, but the last thing I want to do is light up.
quote:
Originally posted by Nephtys:
But whaddaya say we do the support group thing here, who else is trying to quit?
Where do I sign up?

MikeG - thanks very much for your disgusting photos, they are helping big-style

[ 29. November 2002, 18:47: Message edited by: FireMorph ]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
UCOF started an official quitters thread there a couple days ago. I'm gunna quit on monday. My excuse being I have my first gig tonight.
Good on ya and the best of luck though. Let me know how your getting on and I'll keep you posted next week.

Just remember cigarettes cause the cravings, not take them away.

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
heya..

Thanks Mike! They were indeed disgusting.. body parts are so beautiful when they are all clean and alpine-fresh .. so perfect in their creation. And to be tainted and taken over by disgusting cancers... ick. So thanks again..they are a nice leg-up.

Visualizing really does help with ciggies. I remember actually when I used to do e's... I wouldn't smoke at all when I was flying it was just on the landing (coming down) that I desperately needed heaps... yuk..

I don't smoke ciggies I smoke rollies with filters..but this is still way too much and terrible to a long healthy life.

I think I would have to give up tea. I drink heaps of herbal tea but I guess its the 'habit' of sitting down with a cuppa and having a ciggie too.

I think its great ppl writing in with their quit stories... support is fantastic.

*sighs* giving up is a big step but one that ppl will thank themselves for for the rest of their lives. That's a pretty amazing Chrissie prez to yourself.

*goes off to ponder*

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
S-p-l-a-t,

Nooo! Don't give up herbal tea! That's my favorite ritual of all! Use it as a substitute. Think about it. A cigarette is an excuse to take ten minutes off. A cup of herbal tea is an excuse to take ten minutes off.

Use the tea to substitute for the cigarette! Helps keep you hydrated, too.

-Mike

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
I have to admit that if cig's didn't make smoke, i'd have a lot less problem with them.
For any of you working on not smoking, here are some suggestions:

Put a picture of someone you love inside the cellophane on your pack of smokes. This will remind you that you want to stick around to love that person as long as you can. This is extra-effective with a picture of a kid.

If you have kids, remind yourself that your smoke is keeping their lungs from developing properly and that children of smokers are much more likely to smoke. Many people die each year from secondhand smoke, you don't want your child to be one of them! Try to not smoke around your children.

Sometimes having a cig in your hand, but not lighting it can help. Or try substituiting a pen.

Get rid of as many lighters and matches as you can. The more hassle it is the light the cig, the longer you will have to ask yourself if you really want to light it, or if you'd just as soon hold it and suck on a mint. I know this is tough for firefolk, but just put a lighter or matches in with your fire eqpt (inside a separate tin!).

If you use mints, hard candies, gum etc, to fend off the oral craving, try to go for the sugarfree kind. Some people gain weight when they quit and they get so bugged that they start smoking again to drop the weight. It doesn't always work, and then they're overweight AND smoking, so that's not good.

If you live close to the Canadian border, run up there for your smokes. They all have gross pictures and gnarly warnings all over the packs, it's SO cool!
Or clip out some gross stuff like MikeGinny put up there and stick 'em on your cig pack.

Remember that nicotine is hyper-addictive. You are not some pathetic wuss, and what you are doing is incredibly hard. It's harder to quit smoking than it is to quit heroine, ferchrissake, so pat your self on the back every night when you go to bed without having had a cig that day.

Some people do better deciding that they will not smoke ever again, some find that just putting off the next cig is more effective. "I'm not quitting... I'll just wait 5 more minutes for that cig. I'll wait one more hour, three more hours, til bedtime, til i get up, til tomorrow, 'til Saturday, 'til the end of the month". I have a friend who has put off his next cigarette for 16 years.

Let the people you spend time with know that you are trying to cut back on your smoking. Let them know that you may be moody and temperamental for a while, and ask them to help by bearing with you when you get grouchy. It will help a lot if you apologise briefly when you do get snappish, "sorry, don't mean to be grumpy, it's the nic fit talking". This will go a good ways to getting other people to support your effort.

For the first several days, try to avoid places/situations where people smoke heavily. If you smoke a lot down at the pub, try getting a sixpack to bring home instead. If you smoke when visit your dad, call him more often.

If you know ahead of time that you will be facing a stressful situation, try to be prepared with alternatives to smoking.

Support groups can be a huge help for this, whether online, at the office, or wherever. Knowing that someone really does know how you feel can be a lifesaver.

And the last one i can think of is don't buy cigarettes. Can't smoke if you don't have them...

Best of luck to all y'all. You CAN do it!

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Another tip is to do the Alcoholics Anonymous trick of "Take It One Day At A Time."

It's daunting to say "I'm never going to smoke another cig." But if you say "I am not going to smoke a cigarette today," that's manageable.

[ 01. December 2002, 04:45: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
Yo No Ciggrettes for 5 days!!!!!!

just hadda say that,

im really enjoying giving up, I dont kneed that shit.

L8r

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Lajisticalmember
9 posts

Posted:
greetings and i myself have been on and off smoking for many many years. the last time i quit was when i join the army ; but that was really a cold turkey to a life style that would have killed me . yet i started right back up once i got out . i have always had a nack of crazy things happing to me that lead to me picking up that cig. Now for all of you that say quiting smoking is harder than quiting herion, Take it from some that is a quiter of that mess it is not . But they do compare on many many level's. To me the "H " is so much harder ; but i rhater not get into that to much . i just wanted to show my support in your choice to fight your addiction . it is a battle you will carry with you your whole life but it can be done . i have not touch herion in 3 years; but i will be honest with you all i still think of it and when life gets me down in out i still crave it ; but if you have love for people in your life use that to help you along. also talk to friends/ family you can trust when you have those callings. it helps . and if you still need some one to talk to by all means send me a email i be happy to chat and do what i can to maybe help you. anyway with that all said i be ending this rant . Best of luck and never give up it can be done.

King Of Bongoaddict
522 posts

Posted:
quit serious smoking (about 30 a day) the day I got to uni here in england...
I drove up to uni from madrid and bought my last pack just before boarding the ferry to portsmouth- it was more of an economic decision along the lines of cigarettes costing about double the price in the uk. I do have to say that i did enjoy every one of those cigarettes watching the sea rush past, remembering home, family and friends and wondering what my new life in a new country and at uni would be like...
When i look back on it I think i loved the mysterious qualities of smoking, the romantic side to it- anyone else ever get the feeling smoking felt so right for the moment?
now i just picture myself with a cold beer or a nice glass of wine (by definition Spanish! hehe)

I feel lucky cos quitting didn't really bother me that much at the time, it seemed like the thing to do. I was pretty lucky as well cos in my block at the student residence nobody smoked tobacco so I couldnt steal the odd one- and I sure as hell couldnt role me own!!!

being around non-smokers helps a helluva lot, so i suggest that, not buying any and avoiding smokers for a while...

oh, a question for the medics if ya dont mind pls... (i dont know if mike is the only one around)- I developed pretty bad asthma about three months after quitting smoking... is this related?
I got pretty pissed off at the time cos I thought it was- and temporarily went back to smoking, cept that time it just made the asthma worse so now i only indulge in the pleasure of a random once-a-coupla-months or when i'm stressed and suffer the consequences dearly.

Smoking was bad- I realise that now. When i was younger and used to go to the gym every other day, swim 3 times a week, play in a 5-a-side footie league on saturdays it would be very rare to find myself out of breath and struggling to keep up, now it is very often, even 1.5 years after quitting my lungs are still not anywhere near their prime. There may be other factors involved- stopped doing any sports for about 8 months- but a 20 year old should not feel that they are past their sporting prime should they?

Grrrr.... wheeeze.

is the odd reefer as bad as the odd ciggy?

Your life is ending one minute at a time...
So live it.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Congrats Deepsoulsheep... Keep going matey...
I gave up only a month ago from smoking a packet every few days to complete cold turkey.... Weird I know, but my body just seemed to tell me that it was time to give up now and get healthy.. good huh? I havent needed to use any suppliments either..No plastic patches for this little chicken... My will power is improving...Unfortunatley so is my weight... but Im working on that too.
I havent smoked at all except for one ciggy two sundays ago because I was having a bad day and I used it as a crutch.
The second week was the worst... It drove me bananas... I practiclary ripped off Arsns head every time he spoke to me... poor little chicken... But you find that fades away after a bit.
Arsn has since decided to give up too, and he is going through the snappy stage but he is having a really bad cough happening at the moment... clearing out all the crap in his lungs I reckon...
All I can say Deepsoulsheep is KEEP GOING BUDDY... It does get easier, I know it wont feel like it to start with, but if your reslove is there you can do anything my friend.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Page: