Forums > Social Chat > What is YOUR definition of a raver???

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
man theres like so many difintions of raver i dunno.....i just wnana knows urs

at my school, a "raver" is someone who does all the liquiding photon glowstickin glowstringing stuff....

i dunnno if thats true or not, nut a lot of gay noobies always be doin some crappy ass liquiding and callin themselve a raver....i just think it brings shame to that name and word...

just wanna know ur definition..

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
quote:
being on e together gives you a bond that "others" don't understand. (do I sound bitter?).
I can't figure out if you think e is lame or if you think people who get carried away on some superiority trip because of a drug are lame.

Sex, Drugs and Psy-trance is right baby!! Do you know a girl named Cara? She just moved here from SanFrancisco and she spins poi and clubs, and she's into psy-trance so I thought there might be a connection there.. (tho she's flying off to f*cking South Africa for the festival, can you tell I'm bitter?)

[ 29. November 2002, 22:59: Message edited by: FieryFlow ]

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
The more post I read on this American rave thing, the more I'm thinking of that movie Go. When that chick sells paracetemol to those losers. Is that a rave/raver then?

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
i tried to turn a school party into a rave.
The dj was friend of mine and he let me at it...
i turned on all the lights he didn't have on
(strobes, swivel lights, ect.)
and put in my own c.d.
which was like, Sasha, Dj Fusion...
all the smaller dj i had downloaded off the net..
and got to playin.
Well it was really funny watching them try and dance to it, all until some kid had a siesure
(can't spell) then i got it trouble.
The kid was okay it was she couldn't handle
blinking lights all that well...*shrugs*

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
What is so bad about a "rave" or "club" as we call it now in the year 2002.

Clubbers are great people - they know how to have fun! They are always up for a good time and are always meeting new exciting, interesting people. Clubbers are active people who enjoy moving their bodies to music they love.

Responsible, mature clubbers ARE clubbing. It is such a great feeling to go to a club and see the same kool people every week. Not the idiots that in their spare time bash clubbing and clubbers, and then when at a club get stupid fu*ked and act like dicks.

What does it matter to you if other people choose to expand their minds by recreational drug use. Don't get all elitist - "if it grows in the ground it's ok". Whatever mate. Try opening your mind and stop discriminating.

Different people enjoy different things.

Clubbing in North America does attract younger people - I don't know why - but I "raved" when I was a teenager in Toronto - I turned out ok and I still fucking love the scene.

scrambled not fried.

later. -Spiral_ko

AardvarkOnAcidmember
92 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by FieryFlow:
quote:
being on e together gives you a bond that "others" don't understand. (do I sound bitter?).
I can't figure out if you think e is lame or if you think people who get carried away on some superiority trip because of a drug are lame.

Sex, Drugs and Psy-trance is right baby!! Do you know a girl named Cara? She just moved here from SanFrancisco and she spins poi and clubs, and she's into psy-trance so I thought there might be a connection there.. (tho she's flying off to f*cking South Africa for the festival, can you tell I'm bitter?)

I have no problems with mdma in principle. What I do have problems with are $30+ ticket events that are targeted to teenagers, held in crappily ventilated venues, with $3 bottles of water and the promoters friends dealing to the kids who think its the coolest thing since getting a valentine card in 3rd grade.

And people whose sole identity is the kind of music they listen to, the drugs they do and the parties they go to, all in one tidy package -- raving. Its more sad than anything else.

At least around here, theres a difference between clubbing, raving and what I would call underground parties. A world of difference in who goes to them, what the atmosphere is like and how you're treated. For what its worth, the things I'm bitching about don't seem too prevalent in England from what I've heard from my english friends.

Oh, and I'm anything but a "if it grows in the ground its ok". I think you missed the point I was trying to make.

Cheers,
-A.

Is that all life comes down to? To be lying face down with an overenthusiastic guy in pink pin-striped pants sitting on top of you and grunting? -- Random MusingsSex, Drugs and Psytrance.

Spiral_komember
44 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by AardvarkOnAcid:
all in one tidy package
-A.

TeeHeeHee......Tidy.

Everyone needs to chill out - why are people getting so worked up about a scene that they don't like......stop being party poopers.

SmokyDavySILVER Member
Do my poi look too small in this?
394 posts

Posted:
quote:
Everyone needs to chill out - why are people getting so worked up about a scene that they don't like......stop being party poopers.
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those little kids. They remind me of me when I was a dumb teenager gobbling drugs without thinking anything but what other dumb kids told me to think..

The only danger I really see is that most of them are really really stupid/ignorant.

For example. After said party ^^ I went with some to this afterparty that was supposed to happen, but instead we were all sitting in a McDonalds waiting. A bunch of these little boys, trying to prove how badass they are, decide to cut up lines of crystal on the table, right in front of the window, looking out onto one of the busiest and most policed intersections in Toronto (Queen & Spadina). They were all convinced of how "ultra-sketch" they were(proud even). I was convinced of how completely stupid they were.

Its like.. After 2 years this was the biggest party that had happened in Toronto because of troubles with the police. All we need after all this is for some dumb-ass kids to get caught sniffing crystal after coming back from a "RAVE PARTY".

IMO, Do what you want, Think what you want, Have fun, but don't fuck things up for everyone else, and be responsible... That should be a given I think. Common courtesies, like making sure your friend is okay when they've done too much.

Most of these kids seem to think of nothing outside of their little dumbass world.

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
ok i think the one thing this tread needs it the discription of a rave. i call a rave a party, like hey how was the party last weekend? you know but i mean party as in, i night of drugs and dancing to a bunch of djs spinning. i know what you guys (and girls) are talking about with the 30dollar tickets and the promoters selling over priced dirty drugs to young kids. but the partys i like the best are the little ones, about 400 to 1000 people where you know almost all the people there because there the ravers that do what they can to get to the partys to party with the other ravers, the term here isnt used as a bad thing so much, maybe by the goody two shoes kids that wouldnt smell a bud of pot if there life depended on it.

i think ravers are great people, you know i woulnt say yo whats up raver to my friends or anything, but more like hey i bet those are ravers going to the party tonight. ive been hitch hiking to a party before and a car pulls over and there like you going to the party arent you, and im like dope some ravers, what better people to pick us up.

i dont class cubs to be raves or even partys cuz here the music is always shitty and the people are always bar stars. you cant go to a club downtown somewhere and be like ohh ya look at those ravers. wow look at the candy on there wrists, it just doesnt happen, its always like fuck i wish there was a rave tonight cuz i dont want to listen to shitty hip hop (i like hip hop but clubs usualy play nelly or other shitty shit) and a bunch of bar stars just like what they call dancing but its not its like bad moving of arms.

and as for the selling of drugs, usualy you know almost every one there if you are a "raver" because you go to all the partys and you know how much the mdma is going to cost, you know how much and who from. and usualy the people there arent old promoters trying to sell a pill of mdma for 20 dollars to some stupid 14 year old.

well im montreal it is but back in bc where i just moved from you would get a pill of mdma for 10$ if you didnt know the guy, ive payed 3 bucks for pills before, and the only reason the people are selling it is so they can have a bunch for the after party. those are the partys i like.

here in montreal i was looking at a party, 75 bucks for a ticket, and theres like 20,000 people going, thats not a fun party, thats bull shit rip of shit. anyone that wants to go to that is a fuckin poser. i say poser cuz i sk8 and i cant think of a better name to call the posers of ravers. and if i sound fuckin bitter its cuz all you other people dissin my way of partying,

and c@ntus is right,
rule 1-we live in a different country

and if you still think its stupid well i just moved across canada from BC to Quebec, and in BC the partys there spin breaks (break beats) two step, funky disco house, and any other funky shit you can think of. but over in Quebec, they spin Happy hard core, hard acid trance, Goa and any hard dark music you can think of, personaly i dont like it at all cuz its dark and evil shit, i like the funky shit you can liquid dance to and pop and lock to, but the sceen here is a bunch of people on speed who dont care what it sounds like its just got to be fast and have a steady boom boom boom.

i think the sceen here is stupid, but the people here think the sceen i describe is stupid.

as you people over there think the term "raver" is gay and stupid. it matters where you live and how you were brought up in the party sceen, if all your friends say you suck cuz you listen to ska and punk, then you probably going to drift to some other people that listen to punk and become friends with them.

my point is stop being bitter and open you fuckin minds to other cultures. there all different and somewhere in a nother party of the world someone thinks your sceen is stupid and what you call your selfes is stupid, but is all just a class because the human race has to class things so they can sort them out and organize them.

sorry again for going off and writing this book, but when i get started its hard not to stop!

PS just be glad i broke it up into paragraphs. he he he

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
*removes moderator hat*

bwahahahaaaa!! Liquid Pop - why not show all the other scenes you so wantonly defamed in your post some of the tolerance you so passionately beg for with the rave scene.

Different folks, different strokes. You can't know what motivates other people and you have no right to place any judgement on anyone for being into something that you are not. What you perceive to be superficial and pathetic, is as important to those people as your raves are to you.

Good on you for beleiving in your brand of fun, but please think about opening your own mind to other people's brand of fun. You say you like the smaller parties? Well, you should thank the goddess that not everyone thinks raving is the be-all-and-end-all.... else all parties would sell out with massive 20,000 people audiences.

an ye harm none, do as thou wilt.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
A raver is someone who would take a piece of nonsensical gibberish sung in a high female voice in the middle of a trance track and put it in his sigline.

*looks down at sigline* Oh crap!

(Actually, I liked that little sample not because it has anything to do with fire, but because it has to do with my other element: water. I'm only slightly more addicted to swimming than I am to poi.)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Liquid Popmember
62 posts

Posted:
sorry flash fire your right, in the heat of the exitement i completely became the bigest hipocrite, i didnt read what i posted after i wrote it and i made my self look very bad, i am very open minded and i try and see other cultures and peoples ways of doing from there eyes.

thanx for pointing that out.

the point i made was far from what i was trying to make.

if practice makes perfect, and no one is perfect, then why practice?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
good for you LiquidPop. I've just amassed more respect for you It takes a big person to admit that they are sometimes in the wrong.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

HavocHavoc
168 posts

Posted:
Quality track btw Mikeginny... very cool!

agreed with the different country problem! I was at Camden palace saturday night, most of us were all "crashed" up as it were...

cyberkids i have also heard us refered to cantus

hmm.... still a very bad vibe thread tho, so me thinks i should repeat the "wow chill out everyone" message. Many peeps have many opinions on many things, and who are we to quibble...

what a cool word... quibble, its a little like nibble, but more Qute

Havoc

you have to let it all go... Fear, doubt and disbelief... Free your mind!

Times like these people wanna get High...
Real High and Real Fast...
This is gonna do it!!

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
I once pm'd the napalm fairy with a bit of an explanation on the background of dance music and 'raving' and so I thought I'd paste it up here for anyone who wants to know a bit more. It's not a complete biography but I think the main moments are there.

"In Chicago, USA in the mid 1980’s electronic music was developing to form what is commonly known as Chicago House, a simple 4 beat bar (bom, bom, bom, bom) with basic samples and synthesized sounds and was popular primarily with the gay community. This music influenced a number of pioneer producers to develop what is known as Acid House, a style made popular in Ibiza. Founding DJ’s of the UK dance music scene like Pete Tong, Paul Oakenfold and Carl Cox brought this music back to England where it was well received, as an alternative to the mainstream that the younger generation could attach to. From here what is commonly referred to as Rave Music developed, a mixture of the 4 beat bar and also broken beats in the breaks combined with sometimes haunting and sometimes uplifting sounds and was pretty much restricted to illegal parties dotted around fields off the M25, where 'raves' took place and people took drugs and found themselves experiencing an intense relationship with the music. Within time, promoters of these events became well known, and official venues were starting to pop up across the country. By the beginning of the 90’s, rave music was well-established and filled with ecstasy fuelled party goers armed with whistles, white gloves and horns. By this point the radio and media gave it more support, and producers began filtering the music into the mainstream, where it enjoyed a sudden fixation with the public, and massive sales. The nation was joining in the electronic revolution, and more and more DJ’s had emerged to fill the gap in their local area. By 1993, people were starting to divide in their interests in rave music, and the music split off like branches of a tree. Those who preferred the 4 beat bar took the music back to house music and genres like trance music spawned from this, and those who preferred breakbeat created Jungle and Garage music. All further electronic music genres evolved from this base.

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

QuestionzYnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Our emotional state of choice is Ecstasy. Our nourishment of choice is Love. Our addiction of choice is technology.
Our religion of choice is music. Our currency of choice is knowledge. Our politics of choice is none.

Our society of choice is utopian though we know it will never be.

You may hate us. You may dismiss us. You may misunderstand us. You may be unaware of our existence.

We can only hope you do not care to judge us, because we would never judge you.

We are not criminals. We are not disillusioned. We are not drug addicts. We are not naive children...

We are one massive, global, tribal village that transcends man-made law, physical geography, and time itself.

We are The Massive. One Massive.

We were first drawn by the sound. From far away, the thunderous, muffled, echoing beat was comparable to a mother's heart soothing a child in her womb of concrete, steel, and electrical wiring.

We were drawn back into this womb, and there, in the heat, dampness, and darkness of it,

We came to accept that we are all equal. Not only to the darkness, and to ourselves, but to the very music slamming into us and passing through our souls: we are all equal.

And somewhere around 35 Hz we could feel the hand of Goddess at our backs, pushing us forward, pushing us to push ourselves to strengthen our minds, our bodies, and our spirits.,

Pushing us to turn to the person beside us to join hands and uplift them by sharing the uncontrollable joy we felt from creating this magical bubble that can, for one evening, protect us from the horrors, atrocities, and pollution of the outside world. It is in that very instant, with these initial realisations that each of us was truly born.

We continue to pack our bodies into clubs, or warehouses, or buildings you've abandoned and left for naught, and we bring life to them for one night.

Strong, throbbing, vibrant life in it's purest, most intense, most hedonistic form.

In these makeshift spaces, we seek to shed ourselves of the burden of uncertainty for a future you have been unable to stabilise and secure for us.

We seek to relinquish our inhibitions, and free ourselves from the shackle's and restraints you've put on us for your own peace of mind.

We seek to re-write the programming that you have tried to indoctrinate us with since the moment we were born.

Programming that tells us to hate, that tells us to judge, that tells us to stuff ourselves into the nearest and most convenient pigeon hole possible. Programming that even tells us to climb ladders for you, jump through hoops, and run through mazes on hamster wheels.

Programming that tells us to eat from the shiny silver spoon you are trying to feed us with, instead of nourish ourselves with our own capable hands.

Programming that tells us to close our minds, instead of open them.

Until the sun rises to burn our eyes by revealing the dis-utopian reality of a world you've created for us, we dance fiercely with our brothers and sisters in celebration of our life, of our culture, and of the values we believe in:

Freedom, Tolerance, Harmony,

Expression and Responsibility.

Peace, Love, Unity, Respect.

Our enemy of choice is ignorance. Our weapon of choice is information. Our crime of choice is breaking and challenging whatever laws you feel you need to put in place to stop us from celebrating our existence.

But know that while you may shut down any given event, on any given night, in any given city, you can never shut down the entire party.

You don't have access to that switch, no matter what you may think. The music will never stop. The heartbeat will never fade. The party will never end.

I am a raver, and this is my manifesto.

"Dancing is not simply moving to the music,it is becoming one with the music and letting the music move you"
Peace.Love.Unity.Respect.

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
QuestionzY, that was really nice... but who were you talking to when you kept saying "You"?

And this is the law student in me talking, but "whatever laws you feel you need to put in place to stop us from celebrating our existence" are put in place by Parliament, under a system of democracy. And the laws are generally in place to discourage violence, destruction and hatred, and serve to protect you and all the values you just mentioned. A state without law, is in a state of Anarchy.

But that aside, a lovely piece of writing. wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
[Old link] is my definition. (It's a long read, but I still crack up reading it, and I wrote it myself!). One of my favorite quotes:

Written by : DocLightning

Candy raver hair is another remarkable feature that shows a very marked sexual dimorphism. Male candy ravers typically have very short hair that may be spiky and stiff to the touch. Occasionally, a male specimen is observed that varies from this norm, but the significance of this variation is unclear. It is suspected that another species in the genus Homonidae, H. cannabis (Hippies) may accidentally happen upon candy raver gatherings on occasion, where they seem to be tolerated. Alternatively, these specimens may be crossbreeds between these two species, much as mules are crossbreeds between donkeys and horses.

I must have been divinely inspired that day. In fact, it was the last massive candy rave I ever went to that inspired me to do that. I haven't been to a rave in a while. I'm going to have to find one once I get back to SF.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

QuestionzYnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
 Written by :NathanielEverist

QuestionzY, that was really nice... but who were you talking to when you kept saying "You"?

And this is the law student in me talking, but "whatever laws you feel you need to put in place to stop us from celebrating our existence" are put in place by Parliament, under a system of democracy. And the laws are generally in place to discourage violence, destruction and hatred, and serve to protect you and all the values you just mentioned. A state without law, is in a state of Anarchy.

But that aside, a lovely piece of writing. wink

As a matter of fact it was a piece that i couldnt help stealing as it is a beautiful piece of writing.
I understand fully where you are coming from and believe that we do need laws to keep us from a world of anarchy,i also believe that mind altering substances have a place in society,I know id rather be at a rave or in a club with a heap of hugpill poppers than in a pub anytime.

"Dancing is not simply moving to the music,it is becoming one with the music and letting the music move you"
Peace.Love.Unity.Respect.

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
 Written by :QuestionzY

i also believe that mind altering substances have a place in society,I know id rather be at a rave or in a club with a heap of hugpill poppers than in a pub anytime.

Lol, I agree. While I fully support the concept of law, anti-drug laws generally haven't been instated democratically, and in my opinion are contrary to Liberalism, something that our nation apparently adheres to. I believe that it is anti-liberal to dictate to people what they can and cannot put into their own bodies, especially if it's not harming anybody else. Of course, drugs that have a high likelihood of inducing psychosis, aggression, violence etc like Crystal Meth or that are of a highly addictive nature, like Heroin, then they should be illegalised, because a Heroin addict is far from free, they are slaves to their addiction. It's a fine line, but I think the government's selection is kinda warped. I mean, Mushrooms a class A drug? C'mon, only somebody who has had no experience in the area would classify mushrooms alongside Heroin. But hey, while drugs are related to Rave culture, we're drifting off topic into a discussion about the legal state of substances, so I'd better just stop now... All the best.

Page: