IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
So there is insurance for woman only, does that mean there can be a men only car insurer, or would the Germaine Greer's of the world be up in arms at this odviouse sexist car insurance company if it was to happen?

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I'm personally amazed that Sheila's Wheels are still in business! biggrin wink tongue

*Ducks and runs*

spank

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I think it's based on the fact that, statistically, women are far safer drivers than men, and so have less accidents and it's practical to offer lower premiums.

I don't think anyone will object to a men only car insurer, as it would have to have higher premiums to account for the fact that many men can't drive properly, and no-one with sense would bother getting insured with such a company.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
Diamond car insurance has been round for ages and thats women only, there are quite a few i think

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Similar to what OWD said, I dont see how anyone would find it sexist, just there isnt much point, unless they actually offered lower premiums....which they wouldnt, because men ARE statistically more likely to make a claim than women, i'll stick with direct line, they have a phone that moves biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I see how its works with this example, with the lower premiums. But if you extend it to other examples, there'd be an outcry. But then again, it works the same with race, socio-economics, etc.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
I'm just waiting till I can apply for that old aged insurer...a few more years yet!!

Oopps isn't this a Social Chat subject?
EDITED_BY: Hexagonic (1136442038)

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Sheilas' Wheels and Diamond actually do insure men, they just dont advertise it, they only advertise the fact they do better rates for women, so technically its not a sexist company

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
ffs I just went out to tesco and because of this post I've been singing the sheila's wheels jingle all the way there and back grrrr!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

Sheilas' Wheels and Diamond actually do insure men, they just dont advertise it, they only advertise the fact they do better rates for women, so technically its not a sexist company

in that case they need to be brought before the ITC

because I saw a diamond ad and it clearly stated they were a women only insurer, to offer lower premiums... if they insure men then they are using false advertising to lure in unsuspecting women...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
aah but another ad states that you can add a partner biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
they never actually say that they EXCLUSIVELY do women, they just say they offer great rates to women drivers cos they're safer

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
They don't offer lower rates for women because they're safer drivers. They offer women lower rates because women make fewer claims or that the claims they make (in total) cost the insurers less money.

As I understand it, Diamond got taken to court a while ago for discrimation under some Europian law. Didn't hear any follow up.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Just checked there web site and you CAN now get motor insurance off them if you are a man...(well a quote)

I just remember the older Advert because I had it on video. It always struck me as cheeky coz at the time the only accident I had ever had was caused by a woman who wrote off the car I was driving (my mums) and the judge called her a maniac and a liar after she tried to defend her case.

But I agree that womens claims are normally cheaper than mens.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

house_of_millGOLD Member
old hand
896 posts

Posted:
It is a great tune isnt it, been singing it in work all day long!

I wonder if they do Uni insurance?

*Thats one of my favourite Nurseries over there,*

Roman, Trippie Hippie,On the way back from Play Festival

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Anyone else noticed one of the extras watching the "show" is none other but disgraced ex-neighbours "star" Joe Scully? Check it out, he's put on a bit of weight (funny, I thought he got fired for being on coke) and you can see him twice

I agree though, it's really harsh that there's positive discrimination for women, but to be honest I think the poeple who are wrong are the feminists who would be up in arms if there were a few men-only organisations. because as a general rule (and I'm being about as general as you can be), certain things show a differentiation between the sexes. By having a women-only insurance company they're not trying to claim women have no accidents and men have all of them, and by having a men-only thing it doesn't necessarily preclude women from partaking, just not in that particular forum.

But her, I'm all for the breaking down of patriarchal social structures. I'm just not in favour of assembling new matriarchal ones. That just shows that the feminists have no better point than chauvinist men. One would hope people would rise above abusing priveledges they've only recently prevented others from abusing against them.

But hey, it's only car insurance. I need to remember I'm no longer in a Virginia Woolf seminar. smile

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

ducky2108A little bit of a board whore
147 posts

Posted:
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works now.

What about all the women who are on their husband's car insurance. It's generally the husband who loses his no-claims bonus when a claim is made, regardless of who's driving.

Ancient wiseman say "It is very strange person, who, when left alone in room with teacosy, does not try it on"

veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
I KNEW I SAW JOE MANGLE ON IT!!!

(and for the sad people among us, you'll know he is still on the show frown)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Written by: ducky2108

I'm going to throw a spanner in the works now.

What about all the women who are on their husband's car insurance. It's generally the husband who loses his no-claims bonus when a claim is made, regardless of who's driving.

Do you have any statistics for this? What about men who drive on their wives insurance.

I had a look on google, and according to some statistics, women are slightly more likley to have an accident, but men are more likley to have a serious accident, meaning they cost insurance companies more.

Written by: According to a study from Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health female drivers are involved in slightly more crashes than men.

“Although men are three times more likely than women to be killed in car crashes, researchers at the Johns Hopkins Schools of Medicine and Public Health have found that, when the total numbers of crashes are considered, female drivers are involved in slightly more crashes than men. Overall, men were involved in 5.1 crashes per million miles driven compared to 5.7 crashes for women, despite the fact that on average they drove 74 percent more miles per year than did women.

It is widely known that men cost insurance companies more, that is why there are cheaper rates for women, just as it is widely known that under 25's cost more than over 55's. If it was the other way round, I don't think that there would be an outcry, as it is simply an undisputable statistic. It is not excluding a particular sex from a particular activity, in the means of sexism, unlike other things such as the golf courses, that still won't allow women the freedom to play any day they want, excluding them.

There would be no way, however, that I would get my insurance through sheilas wheels, as the advertising campaign alone, makes it look as dodgy as anything! And the name of the company, is hardly the name for a trustworthy insurance company (if such a thing exists!).

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson