Forums > Help! > Dribbling when asperating.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
Hi, for a while now i've been learning to Asperate(with water) as practise before I take the big leap of fire breathing. Basicly my problem is that I dribble a small amount (I'd say 1/4 of whatever I had just put in my mouth) of liquid down my chin, is this normal when you first start out, how did you get over it, and how serious is this in the whole fire breathing scenario. I have attempted with different dosages of water, pursing my lips more and blowing harder, but with little success.

P.S I have searched for similar thread's like this but with little luck of a decent answer.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
you are forcing too much water to the blowhole at those dribble moments, and you don't want to dribble or you'll have a floaming wad of fuel land on little francine. tilt your head back and use your tongue to control how much water is in front of the hole. another solution is to get more breath behind the blow, with tighter lips. you should be light headed after a couple of blows. plus keep in mind fuel is easier to aspirate than water, so if you get water clean fuel will be easy.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

278 posts

Posted:
That's great, i'll try it, can you suggest any kind of liquid apart from fuel that has the "effect" as blowing with fuel.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I'd stick with water, as it's guarenteed harmless. Also as arashi pointed out, it's more difficult, so when you've got that, then paraffin should be relatively easy.

I can't say that I've ever had a problem dribbling when I fire breathe. Maybe because I spent 4 years playing the flute, I found that it's much the same technique...

Dribbling while sleeping though, THERE I have problems! ubblol

Take Care with the flammables!

R

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

278 posts

Posted:
I've practiced for about an hour last night, and I gotta admid I have improved slightly. I done as Arashi said and tried purcing my lips harder while holding my head back. Slight improvement but not perfect. I'll keep you all posted.

Also I suffer from the same thing Sethis.....Think they got clinic's for this? lol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
sleep on a towel, dude!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Tinks jealous because she's not dribbling wink

I don't get dribble coz I breath almost straight up... I find that helps a lot and can look very nice

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

278 posts

Posted:
Towel? What's this piece of engineering you speak of?

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I used to use certain types of mouth wash to practice 'asperation' with, I found they had similar dispersal properties to fuel, if your going to try this watch the eyes, cantact with asperated mouth wash can be quite painful, use glasses or something.

As for dribbling, technique practice will sort that out, in time.

mark

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I dont know much about fire breathing having never done it, but I just wanted to say how glad I am to see someone is properly taking all the care and trying to get the advice needed before taking the big plunge, well done biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

278 posts

Posted:
Thank's Will. It's a nice feeling that some of the HoP actualy treat you like an adult, unlike some that act like your a child for asking a simple question of curiousity.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Whats a weave? wink ubbangel

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

278 posts

Posted:
Pssssh!!! I can't expliain it. But I've just managed 5 beat =) It's a bit sloppy though

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: Thumperabbit

Thank's Will. It's a nice feeling that some of the HoP actualy treat you like an adult, unlike some that act like your a child for asking a simple question of curiousity.

Right, because being concerned for someone's saftey is patronising/condescending. rolleyes

What're you, a teenager?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

278 posts

Posted:
I can see what you're saying FRD, and I fully understand. But there were comment's made which were no need to say. Not by you but by other HoPers. Some of the comment's made were not out of concerne, it was with intent to make me feel stupid.

Yes I am a teenage(17) but I'm not stupid. I'm not gonna run outside and suddenly feel like it will be a laugh to fire breath or do anything else without any knowledge about it.

Everything I have done up til now I have taken all precausions. I've been learning to asperate in preperation for fire breathing for over 2 months now. And I still don't feel like i'm ready for it, reason why i'm not gonna risk using fuel just yet.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
good for you, kid! biggrin

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
um, an idea-

Why not try aspirating withfuel, minus torch?

all the effects of a proper firebreath, but without the big pretty thing that goes with it. You'll be able to see how much more/less you dribble, get used to the taste (if using kero, it tastes like poo on toast), guage the fineness of the spray, and all that stuff. But, you won't have to worry about setting your face alight.

Also, a damp rag in your off hand is a good thing, as soon as you've breathed out, wipe the lower half of your face. should help with the fuel drool.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
thats a waste, though! lol

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
bad idea. why bother risking poisoning yourself or getting fuel in your lungs, if you're not even going to get the effect? i'd stick with water.

another thing to practice is not swallowing any of the stuff left in your mouth, learn to "shut off" your swallowing muscles. try putting something nasty like iodine in the water, maybe.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
ditto

What do you mean a towel? I bottle it and I'm going to sell it as a religious relic when I become the next incarnation of Jesus, Gandhi, A buddha AND attain the highest rank of Scientology simultaneously wink biggrin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
When fire breathing I have a longsleved shirt with a bit of towel sewn into one of the wrists. It saves having to hold a rag and also lets me hold two wicks. As said earlier: always wipe away excess fuel from around your mouth after each breath as soon as you can.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
shirt with towel, nice idea... biggrin

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Yeah, so when the towel catches on fire you can take your whole shirt off... Great idea!

Usually, if Im doing something that requires the use of both hands, Ill drape the towel over my shoulder and shrug to wipe my face. Either that or wipe when I refill.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Poi_Romember
55 posts

Posted:
Well I gotta give it to you guys..

After reading countless posts on firebreathing and techniques, so far this one is the least bitchy with no "well DUH! you didnt know that!" kind of attitude from the posters.

I've done a few plumes so far and still I'm learning stuff everyday, but sick of the bad ass attitude and stigma that people seem portray on this topic.

As for dribbling.. dont worry.. i found that when i was trying it with good ol' H2O it was going everywhere but infront of me.. ie down face, shirt, trousers etc.. kinda put me off doing it with fuel but didnt stop me. smile
I always carry a damp towel over my shoulder to wipe my face after each blow.

2 good things about that.. 1) cleans any fuel residue off my face, 2) the water dilutes any fuel on my face and reduces any possible chemical burns

Fuel is MUCH easier as its thinner and the dispersion is much better.. an odd comparison but similar.. water is like blowing with honey. and fuel is like blowing with water.. ok ok its not the same but once u eventually blow with fuel, you will know what i mean smile

Thanks again for a pleasant read guys biggrin

Thats Mr Poi-ro!
Qualified SCUBA Diver.. Not worked out how to fire spin and dive at the same time yet.. grr

278 posts

Posted:
I have another question. I have researched various artical's and thread's here on home of poi reguarding the question i'll ask in a few moments. Yesterday I bought some Kerosene, on the bottle it say's it is ready mixed with naphtha. I know this is fairly safe and commonly used for poi and staffs, but the question is how safe is it for fire breathing. I have searched the site and I do know perfectly well that it has more explosive properties then with Pure Kerosene. I know the danger's of putting such chemical's on ya mouth. According to thread's and artical's on HoP i've more risk of a blowback with the Kerosene I bought. Opinions?

Poi_Romember
55 posts

Posted:
Hey Thumper.. shouldnt be too bad as its not pure.. not as dangerous.. as for blowbacks.. not 100% sure.. could comment but wouldnt want to give what I thought was correct info and its not.. dont want any adverse affects from my info.. so ill shurrup smile

Thats Mr Poi-ro!
Qualified SCUBA Diver.. Not worked out how to fire spin and dive at the same time yet.. grr

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

I have another question. I have researched various artical's and thread's here on home of poi reguarding the question i'll ask in a few moments. Yesterday I bought some Kerosene, on the bottle it say's it is ready mixed with naphtha. I know this is fairly safe and commonly used for poi and staffs, but the question is how safe is it for fire breathing. I have searched the site and I do know perfectly well that it has more explosive properties then with Pure Kerosene. I know the danger's of putting such chemical's on ya mouth. According to thread's and artical's on HoP i've more risk of a blowback with the Kerosene I bought. Opinions?

Probably any meaningful answer will depend very much on the percentage of naptha mixed in.

So it may be worth posting the relevant part of the MSDS for your fuel (which companies selling such fuel are legally obliged to provide to customers on request).

Checking the MSDS for my spinning kerosene, I see that the 'Chemical Description' is-

'A complex combination of hydrocarbons in the range C9-C16, predominantly parrafinic with some aromatics and naphenes'

so maybe all (non-pure) commercial kero has some mixed in?

However, the fact that yours states it on the bottle may indicate a higher quantity, and hopefully the MSDS should state a percentage.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: ICoN

Yeah, so when the towel catches on fire you can take your whole shirt off... Great idea!

Fortunately I've never had that happen. I'm generally very careful where I put my breathing wicks. Also the towel is sewn onto the upper part of the sleeve just above the elbow so its just as dangerous as draping the towel over your shoulder. wink I also have another towel next to my refill point just in case.

A fire breather is like a hitchhiker... he always knows where his towel is!

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:

I have researched various artical's and thread's here on home of poi reguarding the question i'll ask in a few moments. Yesterday I bought some Kerosene, on the bottle it say's it is ready mixed with naphtha.

A Quick search would take you to this:

Written by: Newgabe

Definition of naphtha:

1. Any of several highly volatile, flammable liquid mixtures of hydrocarbons distilled from petroleum, coal tar, and natural gas and used as fuel, as solvents, and in making various chemicals.

To learn more:

read this

Once upon a time ALL petroleum products used to be called Naphtha.. hence we have a chap asking for 'white gas or naphtha' and someone else saying 'd60 is naptha like petrol..." Well, it is A naphtha.

So are most of the things we would use for fire play. None of them are 'safe' inside the human body.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Written by: OneFinalStep

Written by: ICoN

Fortunately I've never had that happen. I'm generally very careful where I put my breathing wicks. Also the towel is sewn onto the upper part of the sleeve just above the elbow so its just as dangerous as draping the towel over your shoulder.

If a towel draped over your shoulder catches fire you can flick it off onto the floor, hopefully before the fire catches onto any clothes you might be wearing, and step away. The bit of towel sewn into your sleeve can't be flicked off. I agree with Icon on that one. I'd say it was more of a hazard than a towel over your shoulder.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Or you could hold the towel in your hand that is also holding the lighting device, and if it sets on fire then you drop it umm. It being on your shoulder puts it too close to your hair for comfort.

Page: