Forums > Social Discussion > Computers are taking over the world while we arnt watching

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so its just gone past midnight and im sitting here in at uni coding away and all of a sudden i hear this odd noise coming from one of the other cubicals, and i know everyone else has long since gone home. Feeling a tad bit spooked i get up go over and theres silence, thinking it must have been an aircon unit shutting off or somehting i go sit down again. A few moments later i hear it again so i get up again and walk over only to see the cd drive on one of the computers close followed by silence. Feeling a little stunned i go sit down again only to hear the noise again so i get up and go watch the computer and the cd drive starts opening and closing then half opening then closing pausing etc etc, so i move the mouse and there computers unlocked with nothing running ....... spooky huh?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
the annoying thing about computers is they do exactly what you tell them to do. They can't do anything else. They show up the faults in our ability to tell them what to do.

I like hackers.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
its haunted!!!! eek

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Nothing a jar of jam & a crowbar to the hardrive won't fix

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
maybe someone's being silly with bo2k or netbus, or some other thing...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
nope... my computer does things I haven't told him... devil

PC's are as alive as cars and motorbikes... they have their own will and rules... try to rush to your car/bike and be in a real hurry and try to start it up... I mean in a REAL hurry... then you'll see what I mean.... or why you reckon that (bank)robbers leave the engine RUNNING???

Sometimes I even have to pull the plug of my PC as the "Reset" doesn't even work anymore...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Sounds like the computer was hungry.. did you try feeding it a hamster? Hamster-kabobs make computers happy. Also, a good dose of caffeine on the processor will kick it into overdrive.. next thing you know, you'll start hearing "feed me, seymore!" coming from the speakers.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

PC's are as alive as cars and motorbikes...

Yep...

Take a look at #8 on this list:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/vote/whorunsbritain/index.shtml

ubblol

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Spontaneously CombustableThe cuter FRD
214 posts

Posted:
you know what that means.......... a whitch! burn it!

----There are no opportunities, only problems----

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
I heard a quote that's vaguely along these lines the other day..

Apparently, when it was suggested to a professor of cybernetics (I can't remember his name) that machines are never scary because you can always just turn them off, he replied 'Really? How do you turn the internet off then?'

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

nope... my computer does things I haven't told him... devil

that's cos microsoft told it to only partially obey you.

I only know two of the people on that list...

How do you turn the internet off? well...

1) ask china, they know how to.
2) unplug the modem - silly!
2.1) cut all the backbone lines.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Apparently, when it was suggested to a professor of cybernetics (I can't remember his name) that machines are never scary because you can always just turn them off, he replied 'Really? How do you turn the internet off then?'

was it kevin warwick by any chance?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

was it kevin warwick by any chance?

Did he also manage to plug his book and mention his wife?

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
It may well have been Kevin Warwick.

It also mentioned hooking up electrodes into his arm so that when he moved his hand, a robot hand would move too, as well as hooking his wife's nervous system up to something too.

It must be a rather interesting marriage they've got.
EDITED_BY: TheBovrilMonkey (1136400449)

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: mcp

the annoying thing about computers is they do exactly what you tell them to do. They can't do anything else.

The same could be said for humans. We only react to direct data input to our sensors amplified by the wiring of our hard drives.

We're just too stupid to see it.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:

the annoying thing about computers is they do exactly what you tell them to do. They can't do anything else. They show up the faults in our ability to tell them what to do.

I like hackers.

Funny that. There was a program on TV last night with Ben's idol Kevin Warick where he programmed robots to only do one thing, avoid hitting each other. they watched them and they all somehow did something different and one even commited suicide! How's about that then! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah he wired up his wife to receive pain signals, nice guy. (that was after he plugged his book.)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: NYC

The same could be said for humans. We only react to direct data input to our sensors amplified by the wiring of our hard drives.

We're just too stupid to see it.

Not true, you could set up a double slit experiment onto a screen divided into two halfs, shooting just one photon through at a time, the single photo will adhere to the pattern you get from applying a lazer to a set of double slits but the position each partical goes to is random [The quantum brain by jeffrey satinover p173 explains it in detail for those who are interested]. so its possible for us to make a decision completely at random (ie we cant work it out based on looking at the internal state/history of the individual as the decision is based on random nondetermined phenomenon), something a computer doesnt do as it follows its program to the last zero.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
quantum effects are generally cancelled out on a macro scale. Hence water does boil when you watch it.

Plus computers can use random imput to randomise their decisions. It's always a case of a highly complex environment making an organism seem highly complicated.

And they can be affect by cosmic rays and such to make them not obey their instructions.

FPGA's + genetic algorithms = biggrin

Oooo: new ways to destroy the internet:

Bomb phone companies, exchanges.

Make a realllly big solar flare.

Have fun with electromagnetic pulses.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
"Random" is only our lack of ability to predict.

God doesn't roll dice. Or something like that.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I still like to imagine einstein weeping like a baby over the standard model.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

quantum effects are generally cancelled out on a macro scale. Hence water does boil when you watch it.

this is true as a general rule however human beings can act as quantum amplifiers making it possible to bring random events to our scale of existence

FPGA's require feedback while they can evolve tone discriminators using less components than ur average electronic professor they require human design for a feedback mechanism for a means to do so.

"God does not play dice" Einstein
"Stop telling God what to do" Bohr

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I was only recently thinking about starting a discussion on the development of Artifical Intelligence and its possible involvement of the extinction/enslavement of the human race, who knows what will happen.

I saw only the other day something about this and they actually compared it very well to the human race, take however many thousand years ago when man was very primitive, eventually when we started to hunt properly with tools we got the advantage over such animals like the Wolly Mammoth who then probably only had to fear natural predators with sharp teeth etc, so we have this sudden advantage, suddenly the wolly mammoth disappears.

Now what if you compare the same thing to computers, we give computers AI, they can get the advantage over us, bye bye guys!

However some of us will be kept for enslavement and select breeding biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
lol, not according to "The Terminator" triology, in that they just want the planet for themselves. and also in that it is the interent where ai is born, only we're too stupid to realise. afterall, if you were a one of a kind entity would you really want to reveal yourself to creatures who would simply use you as another tool?

there is a really good but very unknown film about this topic called "Black River"(2001) starring Jay Mohr. its basically about an ai entity living unknown through the internet which controls an entire town of people without them knowing it. it does this by having 'safety cameras' installed, changing federal funding, luring new people to the city, all without them realising.

i read an artilce on ai a while ago about a leader of the field. so far his creation has learnt, by itself, to recognise a banana.....i think we have a while to go...........

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

this is true as a general rule however human beings can act as quantum amplifiers making it possible to bring random events to our scale of existence

Any evidence for this?
Or reasoning that supports it?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ok first up to date AI's greatest achievement to date (which occured in 1997) was deep blue beating the world chess champion gary kasparov, and the only reason deep blue was able to do this is because it was able to examine a deeper search space, the only difference in deep blue between the original match in 1996 and the rematch in 1997 was its processing power .... note deep blue has no concept of chess or the strategies involved only how to manipulate symbols in a way that corresponds to chess.

will i wouldnt worry to much currently tasks that computers are good at is very very specific tasks, step outside of that domain and they are useless. hollywood very much glamorises AI and machines the reality is a machine uprising is a long long long way off. even the most advanced robots around such as asimo, qrio, cog, robonaught, db (dynamic brain) etc etc are all a very long way off the terminator. apart from the lack of complexity (ie not enough muscles to perform fast complicated movement), processing power, compact/efficent energy source, horrifically inadequate vision system, requirement of learning/feedback, free will/self awareness/general sentiance is a bitch to program wink

some interesting links

qrio - the sony dream robot aka the nursery school retard https://robotgossip.blogspot.com/2005_04_01_robotgossip_archive.html

https://www.physorg.com/news8629.html

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5067678

https://www.kokoro-dreams.co.jp/ng/actroid/pdf/press_english.pdf

cool huh?

creation recognising bananas ..... sounds alot like steve grands android called lucy, steves approach is very good in that hes looking at self configuring systems drawing on biological influnce ie going from 30 000 human genes to a brain with 100 billion neurons each wired up to approximately 10 000 other neurons, his book "growing up with lucy" is a definate must read if your interested in this kind of stuff and dont want to get bogged down in to much jargen.
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1136459290)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Any evidence for this?

yes "the quantum brain" by jeffrey satinover explains it really well, id try to summarise it but its kind of one of the conclusions of a 225 p quantum physics/Alife book

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:

Written by: onewheeldave

Any evidence for this?

yes "the quantum brain" by jeffrey satinover explains it really well, id try to summarise it but its kind of one of the conclusions of a 225 p quantum physics/Alife book

Pity it's wrong. Mabey I'm being elitist but is it really suprising that a book written by a psychiatrist on a subject about high level biology and quantum physics would reach wrong conclusions based on wishful thinking? Humans (or any other kind of life) aren't anything special from a chemical or phyical view. mcp is right as always, the brain is too big and hot for quanta to play an effect.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:

Terminator 3 anyone?

I'm very much from the Isacc Asimov school of thought on Artificial Intelligance...once it occures we're *****d

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
For anybody who didnt hear about Alan Turing. His work give a little answer. :R

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

Terminator 3 anyone?

I'm very much from the Isacc Asimov school of thought on Artificial Intelligance...once it occures we're *****d

Self preservation and desire for domination are human characteristics. AI won't have them (unless we program it into them of course).

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Page: