Forums > Social Chat > East Coast Spinning Party afterthoughts

Login/Join to Participate

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hi all,I wanted to share some thoughts now that I'm home and the ECSP is over.I might be blind but.... did anything go wrong during this weekend? As far as i'm concerned, the drive through Vermont was beautiful, the house of our hosts lovely, the weather gorgeous both days (except maybe a little bit of rain saturday night), the people extremely nice, the juggling fun, the yoyo tricks fascinating (who knew a yoyo could do so much???), the contact juggling mesmerizing, the beginning of the Spin Cross Continental Relay exciting, the music inspiring, and the Poi/staff sessions great (of course).I thought it was pretty amazing that a bunch of strangers (16 or 17) could get along so well and have so much fun in a weekend. I have to say that these were among the most open minded and open hearted people I've met in this country.So thanks again Katja for opening your house to us. Hope to see you all next year at the ECSP 2002! (or before that)JosephP.S: Did I mention that I had a blast? smileP.S 2: And thank you Malcolm because the ECSP could not have happened without this board. By the way, you really did create the Poi bible: everybody was referring to HOP as "THE site".[This message has been edited by Nomad (edited 23 April 2001).][This message has been edited by Nomad (edited 24 April 2001).]

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Yes yes YES YES!!What he said, 100%!Whee!!!For three days in VermontThe Home of Poi and Fire Twirlingfound a home in the physical worldThe home of yKat and NixonWhat a great time. I am still so blown away by the skill and talent that I was priviledged enough to witness this weekend.Tired, sore, and so so happy,protie (Kathleen not Katie smile)

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Well, I have to agree 100%. This was really one of the best times that I have had. Everyone was wonderful, and it was all really inspiring. smileI could go on for pages about all the great stuff that happened, but I'll just say that this was a really special experience, and I hope to see all of you again some day...Take care,Shawn smile

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
the only thing that went wrong was that we had to leave! even my car didnt want to go...darnit josh why'd you have to have jumper cables? that tabla CD really wore it out smileI think for 48 hours we definitely had the most diverse collection of random talent going on this side of the continent!niftyspiff!we will have to do it again and the relay definitely is going to have a good time going around the planet...those poi have such good vibes on them now. and i will work on my drumming skills more i promise. smilePeregrine (katie, not kathleen)[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 24 April 2001).]

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Thanks everyone who attended,You have shown me that you can actually have fun and meet positive people in the USA!!!!!Also, as Tammi had our camera over the weekend, I was unable to take photos of anyone. could someone e-mail or send some to me????Snailmail - (which will beat me home)1/15 Conway Cr Blackbutt NSW Australia 2529Or use my other e-mail account for fotos- atmospheric@telstra.comThanks all for the awesome experience!!!!Would love to do it again...

Princess of Wandsmember
12 posts

Posted:
Gee, and I thought I was early enough to be the first one to write! But I guess it was such an amazing week-end that everybody wanted to share their happiness!!! Well, I won't be inovative but I also had a blast!Who would have though that putting 15 strangers in a remote place in Vermont around the theme of this weird thing (game? exercice? sport?) from New Zealand would have ended up even better than the best week-end spent with your best friends in your parents holiday house?!? Poi has this spirit to it that make the gathering guaranteed fun and warm. I can't wait for the next one!I want to thank Katja and Nixon for their perfect hospitality (you have a wonderful house), and their unconditional friendship. Ben, I want to go Poi with you whenever I'm in Australia. Shawn and Bryan, you guys impressed me with your tricks that I had never seen anywhere before. Noah, keep up the good work, you'll be an amazing Poier very soon! Peter, amazing creativity let us know more technical tricks please!Will, you laugh was the best alarm clock!Special thanks to Katja and Jo for their support in hard times.Every single one of you made this the best week-end of the year.Lots of love, and I hope to see you all soon to learn some more!Heleneps: I'll be in Los Angeles from April 30th to May 6th, any Poier available to go spin on the beach?pps: I know it's a long mail (sorry) but it's my first one as a member so I'm enjoying it!

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
you guys are all so cool! i feel like i have this whole new group of friends!anyway, it's not like *we're* ever moving, so now that you all know how to get here, anytime you want to come up, just give a holler! you were all so cool, i can't wait to see you again! and obviously, our plans to make this an annual event are even more firmly committed! we'll do it again in mud season, 2002!! thanks hugely to everyone who helped me clean up, too. one of my favorite parts of the weekend was walking into the kitchen after several hours outdoors sunday mid afternoon and finding that everyone had made lunch, and helene looks up at me and says: wanna hotdog??it was great! i'm so excited about how comfortable and bonded everyone got in such a short amount of time!*beam*katjaps - there's a bunch of stuff that got left behind...i'm collecting it all, and i think i can even link it all to the appropriate owners! i'll send out emails tomorrow about getting it back to people! smile

evandramember
1 post

Posted:
This weekend was so much fun, even for someone who doesn't really spin! I did take some pictures: https://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=52207&a=12681273&f=0
and you should feel free to copy as you wish. Thanks for such a great time, everyone! --Becky[This message has been edited by evandra (edited 24 April 2001).]

LinkoHyrulemember
5 posts

Posted:
Hmm, well I had a grand ol' time as well! after having never done poi before, now I'm quite hooked. Hopefully I'll see all of you again soon so I can learn more. I'll be practicing! Thanks for all the help. Ben, I'm sure those staff tricks will keep me busy for a bit. Katja and Nixon, thank you soooo much for your hospitality, you are definitely some of the nicest people I've ever met. Hopefully I can take you up on your offer to come by some weekend, perhaps with some other members of the juggling club (they do exist!) and we can get them hooked on poi. Thanks for those pics becky, I'm looking forward to seeing everybody elses. I wish I hadn't forgotten my camera! Oh well. I'll be back next year!LinkoHyrule/Brian

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hear, hear. Yes!Couldn't agree more.When can we do it again, next weekend?? grinLeaving was the hardest part (other than getting there for us! wink)It was wonderful meeting and seeing everyone for the first time, it's neat to put faces and voices to the names now! I could've realy cared less to spin, I was so into watching everyone else. I told Mark on the way home that it reminded me of a giant slumber party at circus camp or something!So many surprises, talents and wonders it's very dreamlike in retrospect!!!!Thanks to all, especially yKat and Nixon for opening their wonderful home to a group of strangers whom I hope to now concider friends. I hope to see you all in NH next month!!!Btw...I loved the photo's Becky,thanks for sharing and I have to say that the one of Peter and Protie is my fav because he has his tshirt out the back of his pants, it looks like one of those edit out the bad part boxes from the censored t.v. shows! winkThank you all so much for this amazing learning and sharing experience!!!! It really was the best weekend of my year thusfar. Next time I won't be so nervous (almost too nervous to spin)...I promise smile.Hugs and admiration to all, may the laughter and joy never stop.....------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...[This message has been edited by Pele (edited 24 April 2001).][This message has been edited by Pele (edited 24 April 2001).][This message has been edited by Pele (edited 24 April 2001).]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Hello people,I don't have your email addresses here at work so I figured I'd put this link on the board. Here's my first roll of pictures (second to come tonight!):https://picturecenter.kodak.com/share?invite=5YELErqy4euFJiazmokkqYo80k10oNn7I know it's not that convenient because you have to go through the whole slide show, but you can save them as they go. Cheers!joseph

Princess of Wandsmember
12 posts

Posted:
Jo your pictures are great (mortel les tofs!!!...scuse my French), thank you for putting them out on the internet. I guess I'm gonna have to work on my www skills.I'm going to meet with some L.A. poiers next wednesday, apparently they meet every other wednesday in downtown L.A.! I'm very excited to meet them and tell them all about the east coast poiers!Love to you all.LN

ykaterinaBRONZE Member
107 posts

Posted:
tee hee. have fun!a friend of mine just saw pyrogeist in s.f. and sent me pics...man. they look really good! and it looks like they're using chem flame too, blues and purples, in a closed space, oh my! smile man, i wish someone hadn't posted the chemsite to tell me how carcinogenic that is!

LiquidNinjamember
11 posts

Posted:
Hey guys!!That get together was SWEET!!! most fun i ever had... Wait a second..... I wasn't there!! O@IUYOIHDO(F* (W*&#$)#_@*Maybe next time... next time... next time... :'(-LiquidNinja-

Princess of Wandsmember
12 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,I was in Central Park today and I met a group of 30 people who were flagging. They invited me to join them. I flagged, they poied! I was with them the whole afternoon, it was great! I was the only poier. I also met an Italian girl who is a poer but didn't have her Pois with her. I gave her the web site address (by the way Hi Lena it was great meeting you!) so maybe she can join us on the chat room. Those people are going to meet regularly this summer so if you guys want to come for a week-end and Poi/flag with them in the Park let's arrange a spin!It's a lot of fun I tell you, I'm still excited about it!Lots of love to everyone. I'm of to LA tomorrow until sunday.LNps : Jo thank for the second film of picture. Could you put the address on the chat room so we can clic on it? Thanks