Promethean_AdvocateBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
Hi all,

Im new to both the sport and the boards, so sorry if this is a bit simplistic, but I cant seem to find what I need elsewhere on the forum. I'm after some basic instructions on the hand movement when spinning with one hand. The reason I ask is that a friend of mine suggests that when spinning the staff, it should roll over the back of the hand with each revolution. However when I looked at some of the instructional GIFs on this site, I noticed that the staff was gripped almost all the time. A quick experiment with this way just ended up with getting all twisted up. rolleyes So is there anywhere that has really basic, step-by-step instructions on the 'correct' or simplest movement?

Thanks a lot,

JD

Incendiary meditation

“Think not of the staff as being rigid, but of your mind as being that which is inflexible.”

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
There are many ways to spin a stick dude - your friends is right it can roll over the back of your hand each beat - however thats not simplistic wink

I havnt got any places i can point you but i can say that if you grip your staff in the middle with your thumb facing upwards.....

now follow the end your thumb is pointing at and draw a figure 8 pattern - your grip will change ever so slightly whilst you manouver but essentially your hand can remain in the same place - the looser you hold the stick the more movement you will allow it to have smile

Rigid arms and solid grips make for difficult spinning, relax and enjoy is my advise.

Hope it helps biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
All I can suggest is to look at the animated Gif's on Hop or find other staffers dude... as master strugz has said...there are many ways.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ooooo - im a master now ubblol

when did that happen confused

ubbloco

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Well ..you're a "bit" better than me wink

not for much longer ubblol

don't let me see you spin or I'll steal your moves biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
ubblol

ive seen your doubles ubblol - im safe.......................

for now wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Ahhh.. i have my own set now...both the same size and weight wink
(4ft though)

I can do a lot of the spinny stuff (thank you simon the fireman biggrin ) now just learning that contact stuff I've heard about, don't recon it's much cop though ubblol

I'll just watch from the shadows devil

*runs off to find a book/DVD on staff spinning*

{anthrax}BRONZE Member
Look I've changed my title!
209 posts

Posted:
{anthrax} is amazed at the ease at which you people go off topic tongue

anthrax.... it infects, then spreads..... fast

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Try this thread. MCP has put up vids of most of the basic contact staff moves [Old link] . Other than that there are a few other sites like feuershow.de and the lessons here that should give you an idea of things.

Personally I hold my staff in between my thumb and the little bit before my fingers start. Its a pretty loose grip but it works for me. Experiment, experiment and experiment some more. Its all about being comfortable.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
also find a staff of length and weight that is comfortable for the style you want to do...(a bit more complex but there is a thread somewhere on what size/weight staff should I use)

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
What exactly is a staff? Not to be a "Noob". lol, Poi on a stick? lol...

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Basically described, its a stick with a wick at each end that you spin about.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
A staff is a rigid length of metal/wood, anywhere from 3-6 feet long. Most staffs have wicks on the end, which you can set on fire. Other staffs have LED lights inside so they glow pretty colours. There are also practice staffs which are just lengths of plain metal/wood that are used to work on moves you don't know, so you don't wear out your good quality ones.

Check out the Home of Poi shop "Staff" section if you want to know what they look like.

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.