Forums > Social Chat > Did I Mention I'm Getting A Puppy?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
yay! It's been more than 10 years that I've been pining for a dog of my own. Never had one growing up, and lacked both the time and space since leaving home a decade ago. I now have the time and a lovely large garden perfect for a dog.

Finally, after months and months of searching for the right breeder etc, my girl Indigo comes to live with me from Monday 9th January. She's a Golden Retriever. I'm taking 2 weeks off work to help settle her in and start training her. I will be crate training her and utilising a play pen for confinement training.

YAY! biggrin ubbrollsmile Anyone else out there with dogs who have some advice for a newbie?

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
eek ubblove ubbtickled ubbrollsmile wow

heart heart ubblove heart ubblove heart ubblove heart ubblove heart

OMG!!! OMG!!!!

Golden Retrievers are bar-none THE cutest puppies ever.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Damn straight! She's a stunner! Absolutely gorgeous. Every day I say to her "Indigo.. you are so pretty I can't hardly believe it! I'm so lucky you're my puppy!" and then I give her squishy hugs and let her lick my chin.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

SokaraBRONZE Member
21 posts

Posted:
Written by: heyahoney

yea i know this sound really really really mean but listen to this from a girl with 2 dogs that live inside and both of them are housetrained

if she poos or pees on the floor rub her nose in it and tell her no

they do not like the way is smells and it stop them quicker than anything else

and it wont make her mean i trust both dogs, one is a fox terrier and one is a lab, to be in a room with michelle alone and they wont hurt her

note to everyone i am high so this probably dont make sense

try to figure it out ok?

The OP already said they're crate training (lucky for the puppy!), so I write this for those who actually think that rubbing a dog's face in their waste is effective.

It's NOT effective. It doesn't tell the dog what to do. You yell at the dog and tell it not to poop there. So what is the dog supposed to think? "I'm not supposed to poop here. Maybe I'm supposed to poop where they can't see it next time. Or on the carpet. I don't know." It's much more effective to crate train a dog, reward it for relieving itself outdoors, and giving it a firm "no" when it tries to relieve itself inside. That way it knows what not to do AND what to do instead.

Very cute puppy by the way! biggrin

Some GREAT books about dogs that you would do your puppy a favor by looking into:

The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell

How to Speak Dog by Stanley Coren

The Dog Listener by Jan Fennell
EDITED_BY: Sokara (1139381295)

Love is the prerogative of the brave.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Thanks for that Sokara!

I never had any intention of rubbing my pup's face in anything, or raising my voice unnecessarily. I had Indigo housetrained in 1.5weeks - yep - in under two weeks I could completely trust her to not urinate/defectate in the house, and I did it without any "punishment" type stuff. I simply confined her to her playpen (similar to crate but larger) and religiously took her out every hour on the hour to go toilet. I rewarded her with treats and warm praise for doing it in the right spot. I never once raised my voice at her or punished her for the 4 or so times she went in the house - no point. Young pups have a short memory (like 15 seconds) and unless you catch them in the act, there is no point reacting to it. One time, she squatted to pee, so I made a loud noise and rushed her outside... She's a very good girl. smile

Thanks for the reading list - I will investigate the titles you have mentioned. So far, I have read Gwen Bailey's "The Perfect Puppy" as well as some stuff by Dr Ian Dunbar.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Are you sure this puppy isn't just an excuse to get into Photography more? wink

She's very photogenic... smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Nephtysresident fridge magnet
835 posts

Posted:
aaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...................

*is reduced to large gooey puddle on the floor of the thread*

everyone's unique except me

DaizBRONZE Member
Radioactive Member
106 posts

Posted:
Awwww CUTENESS!

I have a Bichon Shih Tzu that is ADORABLE, her name is Stella. I love puppies. biggrin

I'm gonna cut you up so bad, you gonna wish I ain't cut you up so bad.

Page: