Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Well Arsn and I thought we would have a lovely evening watching a movie right? WRONG
We chose to see the ring...And now Im damaged goods...I SWEAR IT IS THE SCARIEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN... and Im not easily rattled guys...Believe me if you go and see it, take an extra pair of pants because I creamed my jocks!! Ummm its midnight now and Im choosing not to go to sleep...instead Im spooning instant coffee into my mouth...God there is no way I can sleep after that!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHH Whats the scariest movie that you guys have ever seen? the one that made ya hide under the covers when you were little...or even when your a big 22 like me???
looking for my happy place....

[ 27. November 2002, 02:54: Message edited by: Valura ]

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
See, now I can't handle scary movies at all. Violence I can stomach OK, as long as it's not very gory, but I can't stand the sight of blood on screen. In front of me, when it's actually happened and I have to deal with it, sew someone up, or whatever, that's a different thing entirely, but I'm way too sensitive to handle a scary movie.

Heck, the spider scene from Harry Potter nearly had me jumping into my date's lap.

I'm such a wimp.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
If it's any consolation I walked out of Jeepers Creepers - coz I was so scared - I have since been told the film is a totaly pile of sh*te.. But all I can say is that it had been a bad day - my mum left that day and my friends decided to take me to the flicks to cheer me up..

I've never been good at scary horror - I prefure the mind warp stuff I can handle that..

But I'm gonna have to watch the Ring just for the hell of it.. I'll just make sure I got my pink flower cusion to hide behind..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Sounds like I'm going to have to watch the ring then, I'm trying to find another film that scares me since I've only ever found 1 that does the job properly, and I can't remember what it's called.

I know it's a hammer horror type film, and involves a house haunted by the evil spirit of a man who had his legs replaced with wooden ones because he wanted to be taller.
I also remember than the spirit drives a psychic woman insane, makes someone else jump off a balcony, breaking their legs and kills a few people too. That's pretty much all I remember though.

I was quite surprised it scared the crap out of me really, especially since hammer horror type films are usually quite funny.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
one ring to scare them all!

jeebus i went to ring as a double date, and my missus told me off for taking her. She was absolutely terrified and reacted as if there was a death in the family. *sighs*
to be sure, i am scared witless too.
Valura, where in your house do you have a tv/computer screen?
like with religion, a scary movie loses it's strength when you demystify it.
actors, scripts, shots, publicity, marketing. scene 23 take 3. Drama, suspense, build-ups, climax.
To be brutally honest, that fucked up scene at the end where Samara does her TV thing made me look away in terror.
..but it was soooo funny to see everyone else do the same thing!!!

if you think ring is scary, just look at how popular it is in Japan! prequels, sequels, dodgy effects

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I can't watch horror movies, my imagination is WAY to active. and I don't want all that crap running around my subconciouse....I'm rather delicate

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
ringu (the ring in japan) had massive spins off including two sequels and a tv series!

it sounds wikid though - anyone know when it comes out in the uk?

scariest film so far - the wicker man.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Valura - the scariest film I have ever seen is...

Ring!!! (Japanese version)

You are not alone. Me (and millions of Japanese people were terrified by Sadako)

I presume you saw the new version. If it is half as scary as Ring 1 well..Yikes!

I saw this film with my boyfriend. When he toddled off home I was left on my own.

Talk about relief when I had to go to work the next day. I "slept" all night with the light on. In actual fact I sat frozen in bed with the bedcovers pulled up to my neck with a cover thrown over the tv.

Nearly had a heartattack cycling home from karate and saw a woman in a white dress and long hair passing by my apartment.

A week after the video I sat with friends drinking beer under the kotatsu. Needless to say, nothing happened to me but I aged a lot in that week. Not helped by all the callers, phoning to see had Sadako got me yet!!

What a mind fu@k!

Ring 2 was not so bad! I did not watch it until I left Japan though. I could not go through that hell again. I love scary films, but after ring I was not able to watch any for a long time, and not while I lived on my own.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
/runs over to wherever kat is and gives her a big ol hug
omg omg kat!!
do you know how reassured i am?!?!?
i too sleep with the light on since last friday's screening, and to know that someone else had gone through this crap makes me feel sooo much better!!!! thanks man!!
:trembles:

I was thinking that surely some sick fark can save that horrifying sadako scene as a small shockwave flash file that secretely saves to your harddrive as you visit their cleverly coded website, done so that it resets your screensaver to randomly wake up your computer from sleep at full volume to scare the crap out of office workers.
/tries not to think about it any more and fails by the next thought...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Hugs Bender and Valura

As a ring survivor, try and remember 'its just a film'

Not that helped me from sleeping with my light on for ages afterwards but try not to let it get to you

Even though thats what made the movie so damn good! Blast!!

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
see what i'm saying? I don't want that crap running around in my head!!! I'm a little jumpy WITHOUT horror movies.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
That's just the hair bleach giving you jitters, Pepe

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
note: if you are going to see this movie, *avoid any and all information about it*. As with any movie, the less you know the better.

crap dammit, that movie is the scariest thing I've ever seen. I would have like it more if it was a bit more suspenseful rather than shocking, but I can't complain given it was still pretty suspenseful and the shocking bits were pulled off so well.

bender, word to demystification thang. The best bits are at the beginning when your imagination can still run wild with possibilities. The more you find out as the movie goes on, the less there is for your imagination to do. That's what spookiest about any movie like this...the things you don't see.

I can only imagine how much freakier it would be watching at home on your VCR! gak!

//edit to remove spoiler!

[ 27. November 2002, 11:11: Message edited by: Paddy ]

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Demystification taking place as we speak!!!!
Yes the light was on when Arsn fell asleep...LOL He couldnt stop laughing at me...I just have to say that the movie aint a good one for the paranoid people of the world....
Hey did anyone else notice how all the numbers in the movie addd up to seven? Like Racheals apartment number being 601 6+1? And the number on the house where the morgan family lived? They all added up to 7 in numerology!!! Nice work...
I was kinda ok on the way home until Arsn started to have a coughing fit!!!scared the crap outta me...smart arse...he was faking it. Did ya also notice the whole subconcious ring flash throughout the movie??? Clearly I need to talk to someone....Im very very very disturbed!!!
Thanks for your scaredy cat support Bender and Kat...
OMG is that my phone ringing???

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

884 posts

Posted:
ack. yes, upon rereading I really should shut my mouth.

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
I hear that it sucked monkey B@lls. I don't think that it would scare me though, because I am to rational with that sort of stuff and know that if it happened there would be a spell or prayer that would ward it off or destroy it. The only movie that comes to mind that scares me is Leprechaun I, which I saw when I was like seven or so. Scared the SHIT out of me, had me hiding and screaming "TURN IT OFF, TURN IT OFF"

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Seriously Bram...take the ring challenge my friend...Watch it .....AND THEN POST.... BUAHAHAHAHAHAHA... you'll fill your daks mate!

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
and do I get a plane ticket that I have been patiently waiting for to a certain place if I don't?

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
dude, u havent seen the original version of ring, have you? the japanese version, will set the english verion straight, the last time i saw this movie was half a year ago, and im still scared of looking into a blank TV screen, seriously, if u wanna be psychologically scared for a very very very long period of time, watch the original version of ring, the japanese version with english subtitles, you will not know what hit you

Mike Buggins

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
Hey Bov.
that movie you Saw was called
13 Ghosts
i think.
Does it have Mathew lillard in it?
And the scariest movie that really gave me the jivers was all of the Leprauchan Movies and all of the Nighmare on elm street movies.
Freddie is the man.
Unlike jason who can only get to you physically
or any of those other stalker type movies....
Freddie can get into your dreams.
And the Leprechaun was just a really freakey, ugly, evil short dude that bit your fingers off and killed you for askin him for his pot of gold.

ta.

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I saw the original Japanese version too ... although I wouldnt mind seeing the new one.

It freaked me a little... I've had so many strange experiences myself though.. in real life.. it didn't get too far under my skin.

But when I was little.. I used to have hardcore nightmares for weeks and weeks of being chased... of seeing a weird-looking figure on the horizon...waiting for me..watching me..

I guess that's what got to me a little when I watched the ring... suppressed fears long buried.

I used to sleep with the light on when I had what ppl describe as ghostly encounters... in fact, every light on in the house ...

It IS very annoying when you're freaked out and your b/f or mate is laughing at you before going soundly to sleep oblivious to you feeling all spooky. Makes you feel like drawing on their faces with nikko. Did I say that??

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Cheers for the suggestion lunchbox, but the film I'm thinking of is probably somewhere in the region of 30 years old.
Since I can't remember any of the actors names, character's names or any useful info, I can't really see myself ever finding out what the film was. that's not going to stop me trying though, I'll just have to find a horror film fanatic to ask - anyone know any?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
oh well that was along time ago.
Was it in black and white?

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I wonder where you could get the japanese version here in Aussie...I would really liked to be more unstable than I am right now and know that this is the movie that can do it...
Bram my impatient wee friend...
I promise the plane ticket is on its way man, but my leg is still a bit broken at the moment...actually I should just keep twirling on it... that way when I busk people will feel sorry for the "challanged" girl with the FULL LEG BRACE...and give me loads of dosh...LMAO...
If ya go see the ring I'll work at getting some busking money so you can get to aussie....deal?
sniggers behind hand...cooking up a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel

[ 27. November 2002, 14:43: Message edited by: Valura ]

884 posts

Posted:
How effective is the translation/dubbing in the japanese version? I've seen some foreign movies where the translation and/or dubbing distracts from what would be an even better film if it weren't necessary. (ex. Ghost in the Shell is hands down one of my favorite movies but I've a feeling it was translated pretty poorly in places. And the dubbing forces some bits of dialouge that should be dramatic to be rushed.) b

Any thoughts?

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
I think the dubbing is fairly crappy in bits... although overall I am not sure...

From my experience watching French SBS movies and reading their translations.. general consensus was that most of them were crappy translations...

Since The Ring reminded me of a late night SBS movie I can only assume this would be the same case...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Violence and gore dont bother me, in Swordfish laughed when the hostage took the terrorist with him when he fell out of the bus, in We Were Soldiers, the guy who get hit with the napalm and had the skin on his legs pulled off when they picked him up, kinda made me cringe but it wasnt funny at all.

I dunno I have a twisted perspective on things, pluss I take into effect that the Swordfish thing was fictional and nobody really died like that.

I am a chicken though, I dont watch 13 Ghosts cause it freeks me out, I had dreams about that movie hehe.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, Valura, next time Arsn wants to scare himself silly, you and I can go for ice cream or something and then meet him after his movie. Howzzat sound?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
falloutboy and i went to see this last night, and both thought it was absolutely wicked!

too often you get shite horror flicks that rely on cheap shock tactics and bad special effects to scare you.... its good when you get one that actually terrifies because the PLOT is decent!!

I saw Ringu (the original in japanese) and now the ring...... very very good film making! dont take a date there tho....... eek!

Currently on the right side up of the world.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Yeah Flynt!!!I totally agree that it was a great film.. I was chatting to Falloutboy last night on msn and he said that he was gonna see it!!! So I told him I stole his idea... plus it was seven dollar night at the cinema and Im a cheap date!!!(but dont tell too many people!!) Where did you see the original? Im very intrigued by this 'original' now...
Mike we can go out for ice cream anytime!!! My shout...I bet your a rocky road kinda guy...
Non-Https Image Link

Then we can all go twirling!!!
smiles contentedly as last nights horrors melt into the background....

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
I didn't think it was very scary at all, but then I have never seen a horror movie that has scared me.

I did, however, think that most of the camera work was brilliant. It had a lot of great imagery, and I espeacially liked how they shot the sequence of the girl climbing out of the well, how it was all grainey and choppy, and how she seemed to move suddenly. I also like how you don't really get to see the girls face.

I did notice a few spots in the movie where the camera angle and lighting were just horrible, like the director was under a deadline and they just rushed through those bits.

I liked that it had a lot of plot twists in it, and I was kind of mad at myself for not seeing the ending coming, because once I saw it seemed really familiar like I should have seen it coming because I'd seen it before. It just totally smacked of something else that I can't put my finger on.

But all and all I thought it was a really good horror movie, it's no Bride of Reanimator, but I suppose the director and the producer are rather happy about that.

Jesus helps me trick people.

Page: