Page:
ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Well Arsn and I thought we would have a lovely evening watching a movie right? WRONG
We chose to see the ring...And now Im damaged goods...I SWEAR IT IS THE SCARIEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN... and Im not easily rattled guys...Believe me if you go and see it, take an extra pair of pants because I creamed my jocks!! Ummm its midnight now and Im choosing not to go to sleep...instead Im spooning instant coffee into my mouth...God there is no way I can sleep after that!!!! AAAARRRRGGGGHHH Whats the scariest movie that you guys have ever seen? the one that made ya hide under the covers when you were little...or even when your a big 22 like me???
looking for my happy place....

[ 27. November 2002, 02:54: Message edited by: Valura ]

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Wahoo! found it! Well, asked on some film forums anyway

The film I was thinking of is The Legend of Hell House and it was released in 1973.

I find it very odd that the only film I've found properly scary is 29 years old - before all this cgi malarky started taking over I suppose, the fear of something you have to imagine and don't see is greater than anything any cgi wizard can come up with.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

smiley_dup1member
108 posts

Posted:
The scariest movie I ever saw was gremlins, (when I was 5).

From that time on there...

- Were things under my bed (only when the lights were off), necessitating me to jump from halfway accross the room to get into bed at night!

- Were monsters hidding behind doors and in the dark.

1 still haven't recovered!

I don't like living below the tropic of Capricorn..... and now I seem to be in England...... how did I get here???

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
I did not find it that scarey either, although when she came out of the well, and the way she moved was horrible but the only scarey bit in the whole movie, I thought.
Its ghosts and zombies that get me. Has anyone seen a film called The Woman in Black? It was a play before but it was on at Chistmas years ago when I was younger and I still get the fear thinking about it now.
And zombies/mad crazed people are the most terrifing and hidious (sp?) thing ever! I hate them, cannot watch a film if they are in it, which is a shame because I really wanted to watch 28 days later but couldn't cos I knew I would not be able to cope with it!
I really enjoyed the Texas Chainsaw Massacre though!

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
Just thought I had better say I found the Texas Chainsaw Massacre abviously horrible and disgusting and utterly terrifing, but in a fun way, not a 'I can't turn my bedroom light off or be alone now' kind of way, which I find that ghost stories or zombie movies do to me!
Blimey, I just did not want people to think I found Texas Chainsaw Massacre funny! Although there were people in the cinema who were laughing out load at the really horrilbe bits and I found that odd and kind of more disturbing than the film itself!
Right I'll shut up now

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Valura:
Yeah Flynt!!!I totally agree that it was a great film.. I was chatting to Falloutboy last night on msn and he said that he was gonna see it!!! So I told him I stole his idea... plus it was seven dollar night at the cinema and Im a cheap date!!!(but dont tell too many people!!)

Mike we can go out for ice cream anytime!!! My shout...I bet your a rocky road kinda guy...
Non-Https Image Link

Then we can all go twirling!!!
smiles contentedly as last nights horrors melt into the background....

Valura, I'm actually a Ben and Jerry's man, personally. Do you have Ben and Jerry's in oz?

BTW, what is AUD$1 worth in US$? US$7 for a movie is not cheap here... (more like average )

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I agree that Ring is not a scary movie in the jump and core factor.

Worse that that..

It messes with your head.

After watching the film Kota started teasing me and did the jilted crawl over the Tatami.

Could not get the image out of my head. Now usually I find real life more scary but this film got inside my head and freaked me out. I think that is what so many people find scary! You don't breathe properly for a week after watching it.

I saw the Japanese version (no subtitles) in Japan and watched subtitled version last Halloween. The subtitled version is not too awful. Nothing too profound is said anyhow so you are not really missing anything.

If you want to see another superb but disturbing Japanese film watch Battle Royale. Its an excellent movie

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

DioHoP Mechanical Engineer
729 posts

Posted:
Who here's seen Jason X?

It would appear the makers of that movie took it about as seriously as they assumed we would... I was LMAO the whole time, esp when he had the holographic girl in the sleeping bag and was smacking it up against the tree! "We just love beer and premarital sex! Ow! Ow!"

You guys have got me curious now, I'm gonna check out The Ring tonight and see what I think of it... I'll be back with my opinion in a day or two

What hits the fan is not evenly distributed.

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
Anyone seen "Signs"
that movie was pretty freaky.
I would have been freaked out if i had to catch an alien in my cupboard.
The poor kid.
I is a wonder he lived through that movie, esp
when he had that claw grab his neck.

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
Hopefully I will be seeing the ring on Fri. IMO a very funny series of movies are the chuckie movies, I just can't see a little doll doing all of that and think it is incredibly hilarious

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

536 posts

Posted:
yeah
and how he did it in the first place, i mean if your were being attaked by a doll wouldn't you kick it or something?

[ 28. November 2002, 06:01: Message edited by: LunchBox ]

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

SickpuPpyNinja Rockstar!
1,100 posts

Posted:
If you want to see a movie that is just F*cked, check out Tetsuo the Iron Man. It isn't exactly a horror movie, but It will definately screw with your head. It's a japanese import kind of along the lines of anime, but with live actors. Be warned that it is not for the meek. If you found any of the old Nine inch Nails videos distubing this movie is not for you.

Jesus helps me trick people.

536 posts

Posted:
i love the old nin inch nails vidoes!!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
quote:
originally posted by Mike Ginny.....
Valura, I'm actually a Ben and Jerry's man, personally. Do you have Ben and Jerry's in oz?

BTW, what is AUD$1 worth in US$? US$7 for a movie is not cheap here... (more like average )

Well me mate Mikey, theres no Ben and Jerrys here but we have Baskins.... Baskins rock!!!
ummm I think that the Australian dollar is worth about 50 cents American... so usually our tickets are about 14 dollars...
Any one know where I can get a copy of the japanese version of the ring yet? I have been searching but to no avail...BENDER? you must know lil buddy...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
But you didn't mention the great Australian tradition of tight-arse tuesdays, Valura. Tight-arse Tuesdays are when you get the cheap tickets at the movies, they are all the same price, about $9.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
$9 bucks... not bloody likely, I had to shell out $7 to take Valura... can you belive it... such nerve...

Sleep well everybody...

Non-Https Image Link

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
at least ringu 1, 2 avail from my sister's boyfriend's Movieland.
*ahem* does best salespitch voice...
order it by name!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
if you didnt find ring scary then what is scary, iv seen alot of movies, but ring is the only one that has crapped me up, there are also two sequiles to it, ring 2, and ring O, they are both even scarier than this, yes ok it doesnt have the in ur face jump factor, but it does have the psychological scare factor, and you wont like what u dream after this. please, i need some people to understand how scary it is.

Mike Buggins

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
Oh you have obviously not seen "28 Days Later" directed by danny boyle(trainspotting) thoug scarier than babies crawling on ceiling!

fuck i was stupidly scared and so was my 7ft pal!!

watch it and i guarantee you will shit cos it COULD happen!!!

sol xx

p.s. Manchester in flames!! Woohoo!! Ahem....

HEEEEEEEEED!!

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
i havent see 28days later actually, i wish i had, its in the cinema at the mo, so i think il go and see it. it does look like a good movie, but i aint to sure, i like my zombie flicks, but i just hope that this isnt a rip off. does anyone else know of any post-apocolyptic zombie movies old or new????i need to see some more!!!

Mike Buggins

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OMG! You people are SICK!

You ENJOY giving yourselves nightmares for three weeks? I see fear as a *bad* emotion. I don't understand people who go to movies to deliberately evoke that emotion!

And yet there's an industry that makes billions a year off of scaring people silly for their own amusement! I just don't get it!

There are five basic emotions: love, happiness, sadness, anger, and fear. When I go to a movie, I like to walk out feeling one of the first two!

[ 02. December 2002, 14:02: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Mike do you work for Disney

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
You can still walk out of a cinema feeling either love or happiness even if a substantial part of the film is full of sadness, anger or fear, it's just got to have a decent ending.

Take Disney films, they usually run something like this:
Happy intro to introduce the characters
Traumatic scene where someone dies or gets exiled
Filling scene to use up a bit of time and/or add a bit of drama
Climatic scary fight scene which the hero must almost lose, but wins eventually
Happy ending with lots of butterflies/fluffy rabbits/cute animals with huge eyes/cheering crowds

Actually, that's only the recent disney films - for example, the black cauldron is mainly dark with the hero being hunted throughout most of the film, but it still turns out good in the end

Anyway, the point I was trying to make before I got sidetracked by disney, is that I reckon the best films are those that, at some stage, have you feeling the whole gamut of emotions.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Blu-glowmember
27 posts

Posted:
hi Ive seen all the ring films and the first for me was the most scary
mainly because of it low budget which is why ring 2 & ring 0 were a bit pants but ring is such a big hit there going to do a usa remake I hope they and do better on 2 & the prequel but another scary film is the eye I ask a lady in chinatown if it is good and said scaryer than rings

cant think of anythng :-<

thisboysetsfiremember
45 posts

Posted:
why do people love being scared to death in the cinema? its not sick, its natural (i think anyway)

Mike Buggins

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
i just keep thinking to myslef whever there is a scary or violent film....

"its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film,its not real, its a film, etc"

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I am surprised to admit that I didnt have any nightmares about the ring until about three days ago....
I was waling around in the backyard on the way to my room at about 4 in the morning and I got all goosebumpy and thought about the ring straight away....lol
I then realised that yesterday was the last day....HOORAY
I is not dead!!!

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
umm.. I hired out the Ring (jap version with subtitles) at Video Ezy at Ashgrove quite a while ago... I'm certain they'd still have it though...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Thanks splat your a darling...will check that out.....
The eclipse has started... gunna go check it out...the birds have stopped singing and evrything!!!! very eerie

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Boo

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Horror movies are great. Jeepers Creepers was ok, but then when it was about half way through (about 60 minutes in) it ended and we were like 'wuh? is that it?'

Does anyone know that the girl who was in the polteghist films (very funny, full of 80s effects/shell suit weavers) had a heart attack and died after the 3rd one?

The only film i've ever walked out of was 24 Hour Party People. About 2 hours in about half the people had walked out because they were so bored and i felt it was time to follow suit. It was like watching paint dry!

Page: