Forums > Social Discussion > Adobe Premier Vs Windows Movie Maker

Login/Join to Participate

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Which is better? I find adobe prem very complicated while windows mm is much simpler for my feeble brain.

adobe prem however is more advanced, although with wmm you can save the file to fit a certain size, and I don't think prem can. If it can, could someone tell me how do do it? or tell me how I can reduce the file size after its been exported?

Pretty please? biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
premier wins hands down in my opinion.
when you say "save the file to fit a certain size" are you refering to the final output? if so, you usually would change the datarate when you export the video (when you export to movie, you hit settings and then select video) and check the "recompress" option and select "maintain data rate" in the dropdown list to its left.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
In the days when I used Windows Movie Maker, it could only make .wmv files- maybe it's advanced since then, but do check it out.

wmv files are designed to be uneditable, and to this day I've got a large number of my early vids locked into this stupid format, and it's been a big source of frustration cos you can't edit them, or import them into most other packages.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
s'true. Old versions of premier don't understand wmv. I'm sure newer versions do however...

In windows media maker, you can train yourself to understand premier using the timeline rather than the: put it in this box here format.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
personaly i'd say premiere.

though my mate works in film an video and he switches between different programs depending on what he's doing so he uses pemiere, movie maker, and pinnacle. unless of course there's a mac handy biggrin

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Errrr would i loose friends and brownie points if i said secret option number 3 of iMovie (well its free)... or Final Cut Pro if you've got the Dosh

I've used premier and i loathed it i have to say and i didnt much rate movie maker either,, on the few times i had to use it on a pc,, still i guess anythings gotta be better than avid these days.

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
movie maker is free so its my coice
unles somone has a coppy of premiere i can borrow

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
So.... can movie maker make files other than .wmv's? and, if so, what options does it have? (eg mpg, avi etc)?

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Movei maker can also make .avi's

Tam in my opinion as a film student i'd say adobe premiere, it has so much more abilities than movie maker but i guess thats only if you understand how to use it, train yourself in premiere and you can do some much better videos

Tobi, i'll bring you a copy of premiere pro 1.5 to the manc meet on the 8th

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
The thing is, Will, premier takes ages to export a movie, plus I'm needing to keep file sizes under 6 mb and I dont know how to do that with premier.
Anyway I edited my movie with windows. now its in the gallery hurrah ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
ah if its under 6meg then premiere prob isnt your best bet, about your compression thing when you jsut click export movie in premiere it will export it with zero compression as a raw avi which is massive and full quality, you click settings when you export it and then can choose your compression smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Aaaaaaaaaaah......

kitemanFlying high!
245 posts

Posted:
I don't know which version of premiere you have, but in Pro v1 & 1.5, under file go down to adobe media encoder and you can save the file to almost anything you want.

Also check out
https://www.wrigleyvideo.com/videotutorial/index.htm

It has loads of premiere tutorials you can download on it. There is also one on encoding, under the premiere pro heading.

If everything seems under control, your not going fast enough!

It's not the size of the wave, it's the length of the ride!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
I don't know what version - it just came pre installed on my Sony Vaio ubblove

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
have a look in Help>About, usually.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
i mean i cant be bothered to switch it on to look lol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
ok I need help with exporting movies on adobe premiere standard.

The movie is 3.32mins long
I want the display size to be 320 x 240
I want it to be a suitable size for downloading - between 15 and 25mb) but still be smooth and not jumpy - which i cannot seem to do.

Can anyone tell me what export settings to choose to do this? Its too complicated for my feeble brain! (its been a long day!)

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Eh, well, in my personal opinion, Adobe Premier sucks. I mean it is the BEST program for EDITING and doing effects, etc., but encoding wise it blows. It is limited in the kinds of encoding it can do, and when it does the encoding natively you end up with a bigger file than if you use other options. Maybe I just havn't gotten that far into it or something, or maybe I just don't possess all the extra plugins that you have to pay for to use to make it worthwhile for this kind of thing, but I have found this to be the opinions of MANY digital video editing people.

First of all you have to decide what format you want. Don't use .wmv. You'll be glad in the long run. It's a really crappy format (as most things Microsoft tries to "make their own" end up being). The *BEST* bet (in my opinion) in terms of quality vs. compression ratio is DivX. It also seems to be the most well supported. Here's some nerdy facts...

Divx, Xvid, MP4, etc. are ALL THE SAME. All of these "codecs" are just different ways of interpreting the MPeg4 standard. Each file is given a "FourCC" code that designates a particular decoder to decode the file. In many cases, taking, lets say, an Xvid video, and changing the FourCC on the file to DivX, will allow it to play without needing the XviD codec.

And I say this because everyone keeps downloading all these "different" codecs when ONE codec will do it all for you. Go find ffdshow. One codec. Plays virtually EVERYTHING. AND it will encode to ANY of these formats, so it's very easy to experiment and find one you like without downloading 20+ codecs.

Next you need Premier to edit the videos. Then you need what is called a "frameserver". There is a plug-in for Premier that USED to be free that did this. Now it costs money. Download the Debugmode frameserver instead and install: https://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

Now when you go to export, there is a new option in the dropdown box called DebugMode Frameserver. Use it.

Finally you will need VirtualDub. Go here: https://www.virtualdub.org/

Basically this allows you to EDIT in Premier and directly compress the stream in another program (in this case, VirtualDub which is way better). This does three things for quality:
First you don't have to compress and then recompress in something else. This means you're as close to possible to the original quality at point of final compression.
Second there are better filters in VirtualDub (tip: under "video" there is a filters option. You can resize to whatever size you want here easily. You also WANT TO ADD IN "deinterlace". You can look up why, but trust me. Leave on default (blend).)
Finally, or third, you can compress audio in some better formats, and you have everyoption of video compression ACTUALLY available on your computer! See ffdshow. In ffdshow options (video -> compression in VirtualDub) I just select a Divx fourCC cause its the best supported.

It seems a little bit convoluted but this is the best way I found to do it. For what it does, VirtualDub is the best. The frameserver just makes it possible to export directly between the two. When you export the .avi file with a frameserver, you just OPEN that avi file (like in virtualdub), set all of your settings how you want them, and then save as an "AVI". This way you dont have to save to a huge uncompressed (but actually a little compressed... thus losing quality for nothing) file on your harddrive before reencoding. Plus you can be SURE that it comes out how it looks in Premier. Saving and then reencoding the file may mess lots of stuff up in some cases.

I have some links on my computer at home about this I might share.

You might also look into Quicktime formats. While they are actually a version of MP4 as well I believe, you can get decent quality at very small resolutions with it somehow and it streams really well. I don't know how to encode them cause I don't play with em.

==

On an aside, about codecs: you really only need a few (ffdshow does almost everything). Here's a tip. Go download the "Combined Community Codec Pack" from here: https://www.cccp-project.net/
it has ffdshow, two players that, between them, can do much more than just play videos and are better than Windows Media Pile-o-crap. It also cotains one or two other codecs that ffdshow DOESN'T handle, and this means you can play almost everything. All you need is a Quicktime codec (or Quicktime alternative, do a search) and a Real player codec (or Real alternative). Download these three things (CCCP, Quicktime, Real) and you are covered for virtually everything. And you can encode to everything they support too.

Unfortunatly, its available ONLY for Winblows... Sorry Mac and Linux people.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
No worries. Us Mac and *nix peeps can use Mplayer/Mencoder for free. And it can even convert .wmv to other things biggrin

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
I still stand by premier pro, it's pretty much the best program i've ever used. maybe a little tricky to get your head around, but once you do your flying. True the output files are'nt fantastic, but a high leveled windows media export will give you a decent enough looking vid, with a reasonable file size. As for final cut vs premier pro.... The two programs are virually twins, maybe not identical but other than that pretty much exactly the sane. Throw a few codecs at it, and maybe an external encoded beside it and you've got all that you'll ever need.

Tink - As for getting your head around premier, I've tapped up a little basic tutorial for it. It's a bit of a tough read, but it does deal with the program from a basic level and has a few tips for simple effects. Hope it helps.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

TheSilverShadowBRONZE Member
Uncle Chop Chop
213 posts

Posted:
I'd have to say Adobe over Windows moviemake any day, Adobe premier was the first program I used to edit with. As has been stated earlier It's pretty easy to ue once you have figured out a few bits and bobs.
Liquid Silver is what I use to edit with now and this IS the nicest I've used but is very expensive to run luck fr me I have work biggrin

"Do you know what the Phantom is??"
--------------

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Avid Xpress Pro with Avis Mojo. Hands down.

I suppose Premiere's not tooo bad though.