Forums > Social Chat > What's up with the Non-Firedancing Photos in the Gallery?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
What's up ? I thought this was a Fire Focused Site?? People just not getting creative with their Fire Photoes??? I Guess Ive been away to long, I remember the point system going into play... You Buy X amount of Stuff and you can Post a Pic... But Where is all the Fire pics? Every time I go to the Gallery I see nothing but baby pics and nonsence pictures of something I would see in Friendster or Myspace...
There are some Cool Pics rotating through the main page... Where are those pics?
Im alittle Dissapointed, maby we should have a FIRE GALLERY, and then have a seprate Kids gallery...
Just a suggestion?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I have my pics only on my website so far...

why?

I use about 7 hours for sleeping... and am happy that the universe so far didn't respond to my plea to extend the 24 hour cycle... mankind did by inventing electricity and the lightbulb, but hence... shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Dude,

There are fire pictures in the gallery. Most gallery's have them.

The points system is still in place, the amount you buy and the amount you post determines the amount of gallery space you get

IMO I think it would be really boring if you had a whole gallery full of fire pictures. (And unless you've got Meeniks photographer) When you've seen one you've seen them all!

The gallery has charecter. It has lots of different pictures, of spinning, of meets that take place as a result of the site, festivals, peoples children, pets etc.

There is a search funtion for the pictures. When you upload a picture you enter in keywords, you can then search for keywords.

I'm sure if you typed in 'fire' you would find exactly what you're looking for.

Par examplé

Thankyee smile

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
There's a lot more to spinning than the fire, ok my gallery only has fire in it but thats entirely due to it being very good at hiding me smile

And HOP doesn't appear fire focused me, it appears in fact to be skill and community focused.
EDITED_BY: Kieron (1135935782)

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Written by: *Aimée*

When you've seen one you've seen them all!

The gallery has charecter. It has lots of different pictures, of spinning, of meets that take place as a result of the site, festivals, peoples children, pets etc.

What she said fire pics get very very dull after a bit. it is very rare you get one that makes you go oooooooh

an example of this is if you order the pics by mosted viewd most of the ones at the back are fire pics. ubbrollsmile

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I think this site has gone way past being a site where everything is fire focused. I'm a relative newbie to the place, but there are a lot of people (including you) that have been here 4-5 years. Are you telling me that if you have known someone for that long all you want to see of their life is the fire spinning?

This place has a huge world wide community with members that show a huge amount of respect and love for each other. We care about what's going on in each others lives and I think the family/friends/baby photos in the gallery prove that.

There are ways, as Aimée has pointed out, to see the fire pictures if thats all you are interested in. I don't really see the need for a seperate gallery. I prefer the mix that we have now. I think it shows who we are as a group much better than a whole bunch of just fire pictures would.

Think of it more as a HoP family photo album than a fire spinning show case.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Fire spinning is lame anyways... wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
OMG there's parts of the site that AREN'T just totally dedicated to poi that are on fire?!

Why didn't anyone tell me?! shrug

That's it I'm off, if you're all gonne mess around and show your personalities, friendships and general lives from this beautiful community along with your art instead of fire, fire, and only fire I think I'll hand back my membership and go burn something so I can stare singlemindedly into the flame eek

rolleyes

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
ubblove Dunc hug and ditto

.... not to mention that not every one has the means of having someone round them when they are spinning fire to take pics. I like see what the people in the communty look like, i enjoy seeing their families and all their other creative sides.
after all they are not just fire spinners to me they are all more like family

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Str8JakitDealing in Perception & Probability
135 posts

Posted:
and another point....i didn't know there was an E in photos? well learn something every day i guess confused

Legal and illegal are a point of view. All that matters is morality.

If there's a shadow in your life, then there is also sunshine. Perception is everything.

10,530 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireSpirit

maby we should have a FIRE GALLERY, and then have a seprate Kids gallery...
Just a suggestion?

Kids gallery? What the hell!?

Are you implying that those who don't spin fire/don't take/upload fire pics are kids?

Man... you're weird...

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hmmm - actually I do like your avatar dear Spirit smile

you have more of this kind? or a bigger one? load em up! wink

seen one - seen all? guys, your some wasted crowd I tell ya!

rolleyes ubblol

I've seen well over 5.000 sunsetz and still... man if you'd have seen the one of this evening you'd also be driven to tears... ubbrollsmile samui to the left, some fishermen standing halfway in the water, no waves - flat surface, the sun setting like a purplish violet tangerine dream and..... uffff.......... dolphins surfacing... aaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuu

Aimee: clap nice ones! I l.o.v.e. the fractals --melt away--

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Fractals? What? Where?

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Firstly this site is called Home of Poi AND Fire Twirling, so firstly I'd say that that means anything poi related, regardless of flames or not those pictures shoulds till be allowed in the gallery.

Secondly see that button you click to get here the one that says Community well thats what we all are, a community, and in that we are in every sense like a community, we are friends and close, we have an interest in knowing more about each other than just about fire spinning, thats why there is sections of the forum called social chat, and introductions, where we can learn more about each other and have fun, if this site was totally dedicated to fire twirling we wouldnt have these other sections of the forum, and this site and community would be a lot different and less friendly i think.

Im glad we are tolerant of any pictures, so long as they arent offensive. So lets keep it how it is

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@ aimee:

well.. but.. I thought you... ok - not quite fractal
rolleyes

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
Its not just a fire site! its the home of poi, in a home you wouldnt expect not to have character and personality showing through. Your house tells everyone alot about you, and what you do - other than your job for example....

So i would be upset and annoyed if a site like this, was solely based upon fire.. after all, its not called the homeoffirepoi....

passing through, this world still lives.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Frodo

So i would be upset and annoyed if a site like this, was solely based upon fire.. after all, its not called the homeoffirepoi....

ditto

I like ogling the beautiful people in the gallery.
It's a joy to see what people look like without a stupid look on their faces as they spin (and we all know we look daft when we are concentrating on how move on to the next move. Hence why I spin the same move longer than most people....).

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
As someone living REALLY far away from most HOPpers, I like to go through the galleries and see who people really are...I hate to say it but a picture says a thousand words and I learn way more about others by their non-fire pics. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the fire, but they do all sorta look the same after a while and I'm interested in knowing other things about people. Obviously, if you're a HOPper, you are interested in firetwirling/poi/staff/etc, so why not post pictures that show something else about you?

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Aimee I beleive the correct wording is pour examplé, since bon pour le sonte is 'good for your health'.

Im annoyed at myself for not having fire pictures, I will get someone to take a photo or two of me spinning fire at the next meet, I dont have a digital (or any other type of) camera (thats not a camphone) so its hard :P

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

10,530 posts

Posted:
Nope. Its par example. tongue

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireTom

@ aimee:

well.. but.. I thought you... ok - not quite fractal
rolleyes

Um..thats not my gallery. Thats a picture from the search entitled 'fire' in the gallery. But still..tis a tre killer picture smile

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
So I don't want to fight here... It was just a sugestion? rolleyes

I guess I remember this place as a Hard Core Fire Dancing Sight??? weavesmiley I have up loaded Pics, but they are Lost in Other non fire pics... As far as up loading more...I have No 'Points' ... I Make My Own Fire Gear! I made my fire gear before HOP came to life, and I will continue Makeing my own Fire Gear... I have neve bought anything from HOP and probably won't in the future. No Offence Malcolm. biggrin

I Still Dig the Glow stick stuff. I liked the Heart shapes... This is Not really a battle of Fire and Raver Sticks. That argument I guess is still going on here though? I Realize this is THE HOME OF POI and not FIRE POI... But this Use to be a Fire dancer Haven. Where we use to shair moves and safty tips. I guess its all been said? We are still just scratching the serface of Dancing with poi staffs fans flags ect... It just seems like every one sits in their houses now and plays on their computers rather than getting out and practicing...

I just remember a FIRE COMMUNITY here, if I wanted something elts I would Go to Friendster... confused

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
you dont just get points for buying stuff, being an active and helpful member of the online community gets you points too, kinda like the stars teachers give you, we even havea naughty chair if you've been bad

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
I guess Im going to the naughty Chair then ... Ah? eek

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
na your alright, so long as you can spell hypotenuse

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: FireSpirit

What's up ? I thought this was a Fire Focused Site?? People just not getting creative with their Fire Photoes??? I Guess Ive been away to long, I remember the point system going into play... You Buy X amount of Stuff and you can Post a Pic... But Where is all the Fire pics? Every time I go to the Gallery I see nothing but baby pics and nonsence pictures of something I would see in Friendster or Myspace...

There are some Cool Pics rotating through the main page... Where are those pics?

Im alittle Dissapointed, maby we should have a FIRE GALLERY, and then have a seprate Kids gallery...

Just a suggestion?

Just a thought, but I'm guessing if you restricted picture posters to *only* fire photos, there'd be less fire photos in there then there would be otherwise.

I think what makes this site so successful is that it's become the home to a very genuine community who do enjoy getting involved in each others lives at some point- through events, skill-sharing, chat and discussion etc.

I don't think a Buffy fansite would be all that much if the only photos you could upload to their gallery were shots of Sarah Michelle Gellar..

I respect the fact you've been here for ages, and some of the shots you've got in your gallery are great, but if fire pics are what floats your boat, as *Aimée* mentions, there is a search function. Once you've exhausted the search terms fire, flame, burn, poi, staff etc, I doubt you'll see another spectacularly different fire photo for a very long time. YMMV. smile

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
If you want fire pictures, visit my website I got plenty there. biggrin

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
I hope im not being dumb, but if you want this to be a totally fire-orientated site...why are you posting a non-fire related topics? umm

Hmm, answer me that!
wink

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I'd like more pictures of hot girls in the gallery...

ubbangel

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Ooh old Skoll HoPper throws a wobbly...eek ubblol

Evening Christian smile How goes stuff? hug

Basically, ditto what they said. Especially Dunc because his was funniest biggrin hug

Meh

FireSpiritSILVER Member
743 posts

Posted:
Cantus Been a long time... Don't see many Old School fire folks here. Ive been good, Going to Thailand to firedance on the beaches there for 3 months. Seek the best Firedancers, and let them come to you... Right? Can't wait to see some new moves, and reformat my Dance.
I have some down time and thought I would see what HOP was up to... I just looked in the gallery and thought I would speek what I thought. I agree There are some nice pics of people and their pets or kids or drinking friends, but I saw more of those pics and the fire was dwindling. Just trying to keep the Fire Alive!!
As for Fire boy, I don't see how this is not Fire Oriented?

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

Page: