fire_rhettMember
16 posts

Posted:
I have been trying to figure out something. I had a great idea about throwing your poi up in the air and catching it, Switching hands while one poi is in mid air. Things along that nature. The issue is: At night while on fire, I cant see the finger grips. I thought I could maybe make a hollow tube(about 4in to 5in long) and put a glow stick in it so I could see the grip. My problem is that if I do that, the tube will be to light and I wont be able to catch it everytime because of the off balance with the Kevlar wicking. What should I do? The only thing I can think of is fill the tube with water, but is there another way?

Only boring people get bored

PINKY: What shall we do tonight Brain?
BRAIN: Same thing we do ever night Pinky.........
TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Practice makes perfect?

If you can consistently catch your throws, then you really don't need much light. The muscle memory takes care of it. Just don't throw wild. You could make a smaller tube and just add an LED contraption if you really want to go that route.. can prolly get away with under 2 inches, shouldn't affect the balance much more than just having the handles (depending on what you're using).

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

fire_rhettMember
16 posts

Posted:
When you toss the poi the weight of the wicking makes the chain go off in there own direction, different every time(well not every time) but you get the point. I would actually need something to counter the weight of the Kevlar. Right now I only have leather grips and it is hard to get them to rotate with the Poi to catch them properly.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
It's not really a problem at all. If you practice with the lights on, you'll soon develop the timing and won't need any weight. Also work on your technique and release points, and you'll soon find that the poi flies the same way if you do things the same. Onewheeldave's technical poi vid has some awesome tossing.

Another way to think of it is like throwing a club. Keep the chain taut when you throw it and give a subtle wrist flick, and the poi will rotate once, like a juggling club. After practicing, you'll get comfortable with many rotations. Then when you do it lit at night, you'll know where the chain should be.

Oli and Fluff's dinosaur's video also has good tossing

there're others, but I can't access them now frown
EDITED_BY: fNi (1135923409)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Yeah you'll be fine with practice. There's no need for lights in your handles, you'll just complicate things before you've even started.

And what fNi says abut the "flick" is golden advice, just a small downwards flick as the poi head comes up and you release it will send it sailing round in a nice big circle smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

mr squirrelmember
37 posts

Posted:
Written by: fire_rhett

I had a great idea about throwing your poi up in the air and catching it, Switching hands while one poi is in mid air.

ah... throws and handswaps. ive been playing with this more or less continuously for the last two months because they are sooo much fun. and then you add wibbles in and propellers... ah, the hours.....

anyway, back to your post. fire is kind of difficult if you dont practice it. i can do more or less all the throws and hand swaps now with fire but only though instinct gained through lots (i repeat lots.. too much time) of practice.

as the rest advised, dont bother lighting the other end. with the fire it will be hard to track the light youd get anyway. however counterweighing by tieing a knot in the handle end of the chain makes it a looooad easier.
enjoy your spins. peace

did i leave the iron on?

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
I find the problem is that most fire poi handles are dark blue nylon or brown leather, not the best light-reflecting colours! Try sewing a little bit of white cotton onto the handles, or wrapping a bit in white sticky tape. Or just tippex-ing the buggers.

But yeah, for full Jedi-ness, waaaaaaaay too much practise = muscle memory.

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

jeffhighGOLD Member
89 posts

Posted:
Can I accompany you on my air guitar.

fire_rhettMember
16 posts

Posted:
Thanx alot, I will keep your advice in mind. thanx