s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Hi,I was just wondering who thought that watching (or doing the spinning) super fast looks better or somehow is better than spinning more slowly and gracefully? I noticed after busking my butt off for a week that going into a super fast moves makes a few ppl go ooh. And different ppl go ooh when it was slow =)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

firecirclemember
6 posts

Posted:
I have noticed in watching people go super fast (I myself don't spin like that) that it does look really bad ass!! There is however a distinct differance between someone going super fast and someone just trying to act macho. I personally don't care much for the macho types, I get really turned off by it. But we all have our likes and dislikes. superfast is very cool to watch.

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Hey there Splat,Hey we all have our own styles. When I first started I loved going super fast, But The girls I was learning with where so gracefull and solw. I mix it up alot now, Kind of like a rollercoster, go up slow, come down fast. Start off slow, End fast. Speed veriation is Key!I learned A Lot from Mel, Kelly and Jessica. It takes alot more consentration to do it slow, and graceful like the girls. Hell after all, It started Way back when as a Mayori WOMEN sarimonial line dance Right! smilePeace,SkiChristian

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
From the technical standpoint slow moves are more beautiful from the spinners point of view. Simple moves done slowl and smoothly are really clean and really pretty. Slow moves are my favorite. But to an untrained crowd's eye, I gotta do with Firecircle, super fast moves are really bad-ass... of course, if you screw them up the cost to your appendages is much higher smile------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
i am one to do slower more graceful motion. i agree the fast ones look cool. i usually twirl to music, and that normal determines my speed. i try to keep it in sync with what i'm listening to. ------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i think that slower looks very pretty, especially really slow, like if you went slower it would break out of... "orbit" but then i also like the trails that the fast stuff leaves behind. like a butterfly looks much cooler going fast b/c it seems like they should be hitting eachother, and the trails mix together, so i suppose like ski said: variation

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Fast is good and it does take a bit of getting used to but slow with bag poi is WICKED.peace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
im with skichristian.mix up the speed tongueive found that people like to see me finish with a 4 beat weave while spinning 360 degrees , i get fasyer and faster until, well,,, i either fall over or the poi go out. either ones usually good for a clap grin