Forums > Technical Discussion > Programming PIC's (Project Arclight)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
(*note to admins: there are several posts about programming, but not a whole thread dedicated to it, so ill post a new one solely for programming PIC's)

Okay. This thread is about programming PIC's. First of all I'll give a small introduction to my new project... after several months of no single bit of progress I started my PIC-poi project all over again, starting at point zero again. But now the hardware is making SERIOUS progress... but I forget pretty much all I new about programming so I need to start it all over again (and this time I wanna learn it GOOD, and I need HELP for that).

Some pictures:

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

The design is quite secure (thanks to Epoxy material and a hot glue gun!). Although it makes it look kinda sloppy, it's strong as hell!

The whole lot is running on 4x AAA batteries, providing 4.8 volts. The batteries have 750mah (i need to get my hands on 1000mah AAA batteries, but they are expensive frown )... with 750mah it should run for about 2 to 3 hours i think (considering voltage drops and depending on how much color blending im gonna use and how much strobing).

Furthermore im using a PIC16F627A from microchip and some 16F628A and 16F648's are arriving soon (giving me more memory).

That's about the hardware for now... now about the software.

The reason I started this thread is because I KNOW that several people here have programmed/are programming PIC's (pointing @ Polarity and HyperLight wink )... and I HOPE that there are willing to give me enough support to guide me through the very first basic principles of programming. And this time I wanna do it step by step, so I understand what Im doing!

The first basic program

See the above URL for the program im currently using. First of all before I get to program myself I need to know what everything means. Can any of you be of any assistance? (Looking again to Polarity and HyperLight) In the file linked above I made some notes (which are prolly NOT CORRECT)... It would be wonderful if some could check if I understand it a bit before I start with more complex codes (note to self: first understand what your doing before continuing!)

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
^^ not when what you're drilling it with a hand vice & i'm at the moment too povo to buy myself something like a dremel...
which dosen't make sense since i'm willing to spend that cash and time to make a glow staff...

oh and i made a mistake... should be 2 * 128leds * 2leads (since each point of light is actually from 2 leds).... so 512 holes just for the leds with a small hand vice. i'd like to finish the staff before the world ends thank you very much biggrin

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
Well, the PCB are 2 pieces of each 50cm long (totalling 100cm, that's 3 feet or a little taller). The PCB's of both staffs aren't even scratched. They won't flex more than the Polycarb... the PCB's can handle it, at least, still so far. If it'll give some problem in the future, I'll be using more seperate pieces.

This version is fairly simple, each the leds are divided into 4 x2 sets. So I'm only using 12 pins of the PIC (plus the VDD and VSS of course!)... meaning i'm not using shift-regs. The colouring possibilies are still near-endless only easier to program (I can now convert a POI-program into a STAFF-program easily, that's the biggest plus, I just change 9 values and that's it!).

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Coolness, maybe i should get off my rear and start making my staff.

On another note, i just learnt about charlieplexing 20 leds with 5 pins. I havne't quite read it enough to see how it works yet, but looks interesting.

here's article from the maxim site (referenced in the first link)

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
So come on then, how's it going anon? I spotted some new photo's at the top of HoP today wink

Cake or Death?

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
Well. Considering my poi I'm fairly satisfied. Nothing fancy, just programmable uber-bright Led-poi. Considering my staff: I use them now and then, they're perfect Led-staffs, unbreakable, programmable and fairly bright... But nothing near anything for series-production.

Here are pictures of my Poi. 4 AAA batteries powered, P16F648a controlled poi with 6 resistors, 3 transistor, 1 switch and a 3 watt RGB Power-Led. There is no simpler design possible, and this simply means you have to smack them REALLY hard to damage... and I haven't been able to even scratch it (only thing that sometimes happens is that the batteries pop out of the battery-case).

First two pics are thanks to ArtiestKiddo (an indoor Light/Laser show, my Led-poi should be reconisable between all the chaos tongue )

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

@HyperLight: my poi are no match for your Hyperlights, but still... without any experience with electronics or programming I managed it. Thanks to you, polarity and some others smile

*edit* and as far as my plans with easier programming goes: i'm too busy to figure that out. When I have more time I might try though and make a new step in my project... but not within a year or so.
EDITED_BY: anonomatos (1171390683)

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Impressive stuff - be proud biggrin

Cake or Death?

TotalEclipseGOLD Member
120 posts

Posted:
I have to say I'm intrigued by this multi-LED programmable staff malarkey...the two pictures you posted didn't work on here though.

[edit] I was just reminded of these which look pretty cool and are strictly relevantly gorgeous to the whole hyperlight/arclight style project. smile
EDITED_BY: TotalEclipse (1173863408)

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Those feeding the fish toys certainly look impressive!

Cake or Death?

Page: