MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Hey guys. I just ordered my new video camera and I chose the Canon Optura 600. I did a lot of research on it and it seems to be just about the best camera all around in its price range. The major down falls Ive read about are mainly based on the handling since its so small and compact, but this is a minor issue IMO. It supposedly takes really good digital photos and its video quality is hard to beat among 1 CCD camcorders. Anyway, I was really just wondering if anyone here had any experience with this camera. How do you like it overall? Have you filmed low light/fire stuff with it and if so, how did it perform? Is there a different camera you would recommend for under $800?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
why ask after you have orderd it?? confused

or why dont you post after you get it and tell us if it is any good ubbrollsmile

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Well, I can always return it if I dont like it. I just wanted to get some last minute oppinions from people I know while I wait for it to arrive. I will certainly come back and give my review once Ive had time to play with it a bit though.

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Written by: Icon

Is there a different camera you would recommend for under $800?

THIS is my camera, it's awesome and I'm sure is less than £800 in dollars. The only downside, which is my complaint with all mid priced sony cams is that lack of actual manual focus, I mean it's on there sure enough but is controlled digitally through the touch screen after scrolling through various menus and pages to get to it, hardly practical for fire (damn sony not considering fire spinners as their top priority!) and the general touch screen everything, with parafin on your fingers even after cleaning I hate having to use the functions.

But apart from all that the quality is exceptional, most normal functions are very easy to use with instinctive button positions, it has a sony duo plus memory card etc that you can upgrade to a gig (maybe more these days) which is nice.

Hope you like your new cam, will we be seeing it's efforts with a new vid soon? smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your thoughts Dunc. Although Sony usually has good low light performance, I chose to pass on them for a few reasons. The main one being that I dont like the touch screen menus. A friend of mine has one and I know how annoying it can be. Ill keep this in mind though if I end up unsatisfied.

So yeah. If everything goes as planned you will be seeing LOTS of new videos soon. Fire clubs, staves, and poi on skates anyone? >:)

We'll blaze a new trail,

-Me