Forums > Social Chat > Poi gets you free beer, cash & attention from the opposite sex!

Login/Join to Participate

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Last night I was at a hanami party. For those of you who don't know about hanami, it translates as 'flower viewing' and involves groups of people gathering underneath the cherry blossom trees that bloom in mid-late April and getting completely wasted on alcohol. It is really good fun and we brought guitars and I brought my comet poi.So I started playing with the poi and what a reaction I got, people started clapping and cheering. One group of guys dragged me over to their group to perform for them and gave me \1000 (US$8), beer and chuhai, and yakimochi (grilled rice cakes) for a 2 minute performance.Result!!Another group of men dragged me over to their group and plied me with sake and the men were blowing kisses at me and asking for my number.(Dubious result!)And some really cute kids came up to me and gave me some sweets and shook my hand.(Heartwarming result!)Imagine the reaction if I had lit up. I've plenty of more hanami parties to go to, although I think after the attention I got last night I will refrain. I get approached enough by strangers as a gaijin (foreigner) as it is without being a performing one, and my boyfriend gets annoyed when people come up and try to talk to me cause I'm a gaijin.Anyhow, just thought I'd share and ask what kudo's playing with poi & staff, fire and whatnot have given you despite the obvious personal satisfaction and in my case confidence it gives. ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Kat,Well done indeed.Personally, I rave a lot and the simple mezmorized look on everyone's face when I bust into some amazing move is good for me.Although, there was this one time a few days ago that i did the hug of death with the martian and the entire crowd around us started cheering like crazy. I try to be a humble man, but that was reall cool grin------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
That is very cool Kat!!! i have been doing poi for my own personal gratification and you mean to tell me all this time I could have been getting payed in candy?? grin grinYou know what i think is cooler!! you using the word Gaijin. I not too long ago asked Adamrice about that word because he is a freelance Japanese translater.i collect comics (i know im a big kid)and Wolverine one of the X-men in the early years of the comic spent alotof time in japan, and he was always referred to as Gaijin. I have neverheard anyone use it before in conversation..then agian i dont know too many people that speak Japanese..just an interesting tidbit..i am a well of useless knowledge.oh and that was a great little story...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
you know what i love almost more than doing poi...?? i love it when people ask me how i do that, then i teach them like 2 simple moves (usually a cross, & a criss cross), and they finally get it down..the look on their face and seeing how excited they get is very satisfying to me...I think it is all the assisting ive done in my Martial Arts class that makes me that way. I love helping peeps...Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Super,I totally hear you on that one, I'm teaching a few of my friends (also ravers) how to spin, and I just taught my buddy john how to do the forward weave- LOL- the kid seriously did a backflip the first time he got it right and went screaming "Eureka" like he was archimedes er somethin' all the way down the hall in our Dorms at school. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. smile But, its also a wonerful feeling to know I helped him figure it out------------------Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
At the last busking show we did, we scored beer instead of cash from this one group. >=P yuk. I prefer coins myself =) Oh, and I used to watch X-men and Gambit was often referred to as 'Caijin' (sp?) cause he was from that area. *That* area I think being near New Orleans. Like Caijin food.Also, what's a criss cross?And Kat, why didn't you take your fire poi? =)[This message has been edited by splat (edited 22 April 2001).]

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

Drakemember
72 posts

Posted:
yo kat, isnt that kinda attention great. i went to dance/party last night and i broke out my poi (lightstick) and everybody was watchin and cheering and clapping, like half my highschool. after my little set everyone was giving me highfives and telling me "that shit was sooooo cool". and yeah, how they would have loved it if i did it with fire.DRAKEkatafunk@hotmail.comwww.geocities.com/katafunk

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Yeah you do get a lot of prase after spinning, and it only gets better with fire! But you have to watch your head (Phisical and Mediphorical) DON"T LET IT GET FAT! No one likes a person with an EGO the size of Califonia! I was lucky I had three great girls spinning w/me to tell me when I was going to POP! Don't Get me wrong! I do like the prase, Free beer, and food, I get at Bars and Partys. But I TRY to distance myself as much as possible with my ego, wich wants to take over!Its a definet HIGH when you are finished spinning, and there are hundreds of people cheering for YOU. But Do it for the spirt of FIRE Dancing, and NOT for YOURSELF!

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
Just a few responses*SplatI didnt bring my fire poi cause I was going out straight after work and didn't want to bring kerosene with me to work. It was bad enough trying to lug the big bag of beer I had.*SupermanIsn't it so cool teaching somebody simple moves and watching how happy they are when the get a move, and how much fun they had. I spent far more time teaching than actually spinning the other night.Hopefully I managed to convert a few people to the joys of poi.Oh and Superman-another side-effect of being in Japan is that you start littering your language with the Japanese words Tadoeba (example)"Yeah so, I went to the Ginko (bank) cause I needed to get some okane (money) to go and buy some Biru (beer) in the Conbi (convenience store)." *SkiChristianExcellent point - I think it would be so easy for someone to get a big head from all the praise they receive for their poi skills.I think that this applies to anything. I have seen so many nice people in Japan grow the biggest ego's and turn into complete wankers because of all the attention they get and they really shit all over people because they think they are something special.I'm sure beautiful people, celebs, and anyone who is fawned over risks the same inflated ego. I am constantly been told how beautiful and clever I am by people here. However I take everything said with a pinch of salt and don't think that I am especially beautiful or clever cause I am white, Some people however let the attention get to their head. I think the problem of enjoying performing depends what part of the attention you like.For me, poi is great cause I love it. I do love the aspect of performing and people cheering you on,I don't however want the attention afterwards.I think of myself as outgoing but I find it hard to be friendly to people who are doing so on a purely superficial level. However if people want to give me beer, sweets and cash so be it!! Sexual attention is very unwanted though,unless its from my boyfriend.Funny (but more or less unrelated) story. I was at an enkai (drinking party) and one of the men told me I looked like Julia Roberts. When I insisted this was untrue cause I have brown hair, grey eyes and am only 5ft5, I was told the reason I looked like her is that the size of my head is in proportion to that of my body!! The secret of true beauty in the mind of 1 Japanese man folks!I've also been told I look like Audrey Hebpurn, Vivviene Leigh, Winona Ryder and...Leonardo Di Caprio!! Anyhow, if I want to keep looking like Julia Roberts I better keep my ego uninflated and that head in proportion to the rest of my body!!One thing I would say SkiChristian. I do selfishly do poi for me and not for the spirit of fire dancing. I poi because I love it, it keeps me fit and it makes me happy to poi. I never poi for any spritual effect, merely for me. Sorry if that makes me a bad person.Also when I perform, if people cheer me on, cool, but when I spin (especially fire) the thrill is in spinning and not in any adulation that might be lavished on me.Fire in itself is the greatest thrill.------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

Lazerousmember
17 posts

Posted:
Hey all,I haven't been on here in awhile and after a weekend of spinning at raves i thought i would see what is going on. Anyway I totally feel the crowd control thing. At a rave i went to on friday there were atleast 5 spinners there and it was killer. We all got into the big war, throwing out all the chips to see who could get the biggest crowd reaction. In the end the biggest reaction came when all of us charged each other and got tangled up hugged and laughed for about 5 min. Probably half of the people at the rave were watching the war and it was just really cool to see so many spinners in one place. What was really cool though was the fact that after our little war we all came togather and were teaching people from the crowd how to spin. We even arranged for a semi weekly get togather so that anyone that wants to learn what we know can learn. None of us were really great and no one could do any BTB but some of the combos that we were doing, especially when just 2 of us were dueling was just amazing. Anyway i had to share that with everyone because it was just great. Lazy

Big Daddi-Yomember
21 posts

Posted:
Beer? Cash? Attention from the opposite sex!? Well, I'm too young to drink, but I could always use money and attention from the females. wink Although, I doubt many chicks would give me money for my swingin' abilities. frown But attention is always good! hehe~Derrick

Wow! Check out this bagel I found behind my refridgerator!

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
Oh Don't get me wrong Kat, It sounds like we do it for the same reasons. I just give all of the energy that people give to me, back into the spirt of fire spinning.I just start reading others responces, and it angrs me to see people go into their ego.I totaly agree when you say:For me, poi is great cause I love it. I do love the aspect of performing and people cheering you on,I don't however want the attention afterwards.I think of myself as outgoing but I find it hard to be friendly to people who are doing so on a purely superficial level.That sums it you Perfectly! I hate how people screem out my name, when they don't even know me. (just to get some attention) how strangers hug me after the show when I can't even Stand, let alown Talk. I give it my all, and I feel Great afterwards, but I need my space, and it seems as though if I take the space people are not as iterested afterwards. People are weard! I went to school with a lot of Asians, and I think, they think we all look the same. I wouldn't take to heart what they are saying. smile They thought I was on 90210 for the longest time, And I Hate That Show! Well Talk to you later Kat.

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
SkiChristianI know what you mean, I'm glad when people enjoy what I am doing, but as I said I am a private person, and cannot give friendship to someone just cause they want to be with someone cool. I don't have angst towards Asians on this situation. A lot of the time the people here are just curious and excited to talk to a foreigner and while it's tiresome for me I recognize that it something I just have to deal with. Oh and when I first came to Japan, I thought they all looked alike, but I don't think so now. I'm still amazed when I go to Ireland and see the great diversity of hair and eye colour and the mass of pasty white skin!Maybe some of the people at raves are just excited too and in this case it is cool to help them out if they are genuinely interested not if they think that you are 'cool' enough to be seen with them.But I do feel your pain on been mistaken for a Bev Hills 90210 member.Do you have a really big quiff or something????Anyhow keep on enjoying your performances everyone and don't let the attention make you forget why you started spinning! ------------------"London is a city coming down from its trip and there's going to be a lot of refugees" - Danny,Withnail & I

- W B Yeats

fireboyAn angry young man with a passon for metal
252 posts

Posted:
one question Does poi-ing get u sex hahahahahahahahahahsorry just had to type it see ya

Fireboy

<<SINister miNISister>>
remeber kids jesus slaves