Forums > Social Discussion > The data protection act and my bloody ISP - Rant

Login/Join to Participate

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
So I've just read three irate ranting spam emails from random people. The only thing we have in common is that we've all got subscritions to Irish Broadband.

How did they get my email address? Well someone in this company managed to send out their entire customer email database on the 'Merry Christmas' email. Theres thousands of emails on the bloody thing. Havent they ever heard of Bcc?

how can they be so stupid as to leave themselves open to the legal action thats going to ensue after this.

I think i'll nip down to the Citizens Information Beaureu after the holidays.

Idiots.

/end rant

Love is the law.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
You're kidding! That's insane.

Oh well, at least now you have some new ranting friends! Or something... umm

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yep, I've been trying to ring customer service but their not picking up...

And some of these people think they have a new mailing list. Some are ranting about how crap the company is and others are writing to defend it!!!

Love is the law.

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
its an email address i get loads of spam all the time cos companys someone on ya msn signs up then get to send u spam over and over and u cant stop it

at least it isnt your address

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
It happens quite a lot,, normally coz someones been a numpty and clicked the wrong button,, every now and again the offending company gets sued but other than bad press and some poor sod getting fired not a lot really tends to happen

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Yep, i've already written a letter of complaint to the commisioner for data protection.

Next up, a visit to my solicitor. I've already started recieving ad mail. And at least one virus.

The worst thing is that i;ve been so carefull not to give this email address out anywhere online or to anyone likley to misuse it. It was the only spam free mail frown

Love is the law.

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
:O spam free mail,, they still make those,, Shame about the viri though frown

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Yeah, in the state of the net these days, something like that is really pretty bad. Many viruses/worms will snarf email addys from a drive sweep, so not only is such an action a goldmine to spammers, but it opens a very large potential for virus/worm attacks. Hopefully you have other ISP options available.

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I dont really. This is the only wireless one available and I wont get a hard line becasue we dont want a phone and you cant get one without the other here. Why the hell should i pay phone rental when i dont have a phone!!!

I rang them today and they said. and i quote "Yeah we heard about that, apologies it was human error"

And when i complained about the people spamming me they said:

"Yeah sorry about that, we're trying to catch them"

mad2

oh the rage.

I've already rang the newspapers and its running tomoro!!!

Love is the law.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I got that in a survey from the university disabled people's service once. Got another email a while later saying that everyone who had the email now knows all the email addresses (= matric numbers) of all disabled students, but we shouldn't worry cause noone knows WHO has WHICH disability. angry

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
adophire(at)gmail(dot)com its pretty easy for botnets...

:R

POI THEO(R)IST