firecirclemember
6 posts

Posted:
I have one poi going forward and one going backwards, I want them to both go forward. How do I transition without stopping?

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
There are a few ways I know of;The simplest is to do a low turn with only one hand. This is easier if you turn your body 1/4 turn while doing it.You may have noticed that if you're doing the butterfly, you can put one hand behind your back and turn your body 1/4 turn and suddenly you've got one poi going forward and the other backwards. This works going the other way as well; when you've got your poi at your sides going opposite directions, you can bring one side over to the other side and do a 1/4 turn towards that side, and voila, you've got the butterfly!When you have the butterfly going it's pretty simple to go from there to simply spinning forwards; just move your hands apart slowly.Good luck, and I hope this helps!

firecirclemember
6 posts

Posted:
thank you, this does help. It seems like once I get into opposites I get stuck and the only way I can get going the same direction again is to stop. The low turn is easy but I think the butterfly move looks nicer.

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Protie's suggestion sounds like the cleanest one (I think I do something sort of like this--gotta experiment). A couple other options:1. Bounce or wrap the back-swinging chain against your leg or waist.2. Whip the back-swinging wick in a crossover motion into a forward overhead circle and then bring it down to your side.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy