Forums > Technical Discussion > "full moon poi" on ebay + sewing patterns

Login/Join to Participate

juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
ubblove ubblove for a while now I've been eyeing the different colors of "full moon poi" on ebay... here's the seller's shop (scroll down to the fabric sets):

https://tinyurl.com/adter

problem is, they don't look terribly durable. has anyone here actually ordered any of these? what did you think of them? were they sufficiently heavy and made to take a beating?

confused

EDITED_BY: juusan (1135366353)

..·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

These are the roots of rhythm
And the roots of rhythm remain

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I refuse to buy from a store that refers to fire staff as fire stick.

biggrin

Pretty poi though. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Fabric sets look good, wouldn't trust the fire sets - they look like the cheap crap you'll find all over thailand that will last for all of ten burns (if you're lucky) before falling apart.

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
The fabric ones are very pretty! Nice to see so much variety in the material. Of course, you could always get some pretty material and make your own, then you could have exactly what you wanted.

to live at all is miracle enough

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
whats wrong with calling it a stick?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
a stick is fine.

a firestick however is a little spicy sausage in a handy snack size packet:

https://www.wastedwebspace.co.uk/article_assets/peperami_firestick1.jpg

wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
this is a stick.

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

juusanSILVER Member
39 posts

Posted:
I could make my own, but I'm more of a driller/welder than a sewer. wink I suppose I could enlist a friend to help me out.

anyone out there have sewing patterns for poi?

..·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

These are the roots of rhythm
And the roots of rhythm remain

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
They're pretty, it says silk though, silk isnt the strongest stuff to play with. They would make a wonderful pair of show poi, but for everyday practice im not so sure.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:
Written by: juusan

anyone out there have sewing patterns for poi?

It should be easy enought to make a pattern by looking at another set of tail poi and working out what shapes you need - admittedly I've only made cone poi rather than tails, but looking at my tail poi, the "bag" bit for the weight shouldn't be too tricky, and the tails are just straight with diagonally cut ends. My bags have velcro bit so you can change the weights, but you wouldn't need to do that if you didn't want to. Hmmmm, this might be a fun project over Christmas. I'll go look through my fabric drawer!

to live at all is miracle enough

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I would advise not to buy anything that advertises to buy 'full moon party poi' most of these are simply due to the mass explosion poi has had and people see them over in thailand and then want to buy some, they are mass produced and often not good make, i have a friend who had them and the had ripped, personally i'd advise getting some either from here or from www.oddballs.co.uk

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Ravenhillmember
47 posts

Posted:
What actually IS that stuff on the wicks? The wierd white wicking, see it in in cut-price tourist shops from the Med to Thailand.

Kinda flakey, bits come off on your hand.

Dunno why, but I keep on worrying it's asbestos... help eek

They are guides. They are teachers. They are like Yoda, only smaller and on strings.

--Meenik on poi

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
What actually IS that stuff on the wicks? I don't know but I've been curious about that for years.

I suggested it might be asbestos over on another thread, but that was just an idea to help in getting shoddily constructed fire poi sets out of a shop, nothing more.

Some guy over on tribe.net figures it's fiberglass, but one thing's for sure, all the Thai toymakers insist that it's kevlar, and this is simply not true. The white stuff has different properties than kevlar the most noticeable being that it holds fuel better.

I find my kevlar wicks saturate within seconds of being immersed in white gas (meaning they stop bubbling) while the white wicks can take up to a couple of minutes. I find there's a lot less excess fuel coming off during spin off with the white wicks and they're less likely to transfer fuel during a wrap.

The flaky bits disappear after a few burns, as does that soapy feeling texture and I'm at a loss to explain why. I've noticed that when the white wicks are new and dipped for the first time some sort of strange reaction happens between the wicks and the fuel which gives the wicks a sort of *slimy* texture, and they crackle and pop on the first burn.

Given all that I'd still love a set of cathedrals made from that white stuff.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I think the white wicking is like the stuff they use for wicks in lamps etc. If you compare kevlar with this you can see the difference.

I think the problem is, these wicks have been designed for use in a heater, NOT to be spun round on the end of a chain at high velocities and bumped around.

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
My friend got me a pair of fire poi from Thailand from her holiday and they look awful lot similar to the "Moon Party" poi off eBay. They are really badly made to say the least. The swivel once broke mid spin when my chains crossed and the the head flew off. It was a good thing I wasn't using flame at the time. The tubing they use for the core of the head is made from really filmsy aluminium tube which bents and buckles after light impacts. Then there is the chain, mine have snapped after a couple of proper burns. The only reason why I've kept mine is because my friend brought them from Thailand for me. smile

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Yea,,,those cheap clip swivels, get rid of them. I've broken four of them so far, all unlit because I recognized the problem when I broke the first one. The flimsy aluminium tubing can be a real problem, keep an eye on it i.e. check your gear after every burn, because if you have what I think you have then the split rings are going to pull right out of the tubing.

There are some decent Thai tubecores out there, made with proper tubing but it's impossible to tell the better ones from the dangerous ones from a photograph. There's nothing stopping you from rebuilding them though, your friend won't be able to tell wink

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
eek

my personal advice: DON'T!!!

this wick comes apart quickly - so you have to replace it... not that big deal... the chain is crap, can brake easy if spun with heavy regular wick... the swivel is so-so... and the little hook on the end is coming apart as do the keyrings!

I had one head taking off last night after the poi collided behind my back... fortunately enough not into the crowd!

It should be ILLEGAL to sell this stuff without proper warning: replace ALL components when you receive the shipment!

Hard judgement? Well if the number of accidents rise in the old world - there will be a fireban in most places!!!!!

AND I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE SPINNING WITHOUT THE COPS HARRASSING ME IN THE PARK!!!!!

My advice: buy from recommended dealers only! see the online shop at homeofpoi! PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
see [Old link]

for more comments on the unstable nature of these fire poi

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
The silk ones look lush though dont they ubblove, I couldnt hope to sew a pair of poi and they would be a little shoddy if I did try it, for only a tenner there so worth not making a mess of your own home made tail poi hehe

Yeah by from hop, you get discounts and free space in your gallery thats reason enough never to buy from another shop ever again if you can help it. Ive gotten a 15% discount now that I order'd a poi video and a pair of monkey fists, an they arrived within a week how good is that! New zealend to England in like 5 or 6 days.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?