Forums > Social Chat > Performing Tonight any Advice?

Login/Join to Participate

JohnSmithmember
28 posts

Posted:
So, i got asked to spin fire for a "ladies night" tonight at this fancy ass hotel.

I said that she should talk to the fire marshall about it, and she said i should. I've had bad experiences with the fire marshall, basically calling firespinners hippies and degenerates, so i didn't even want to bring it up to him.

The event co-ordinator says she has OKed it with the hotel, so i think it's OK.

we will be spinning in the BALLROOM of all places. We are going to dip our staffs outside, spin a bit for practice, then dip again, shake off, walk in light up, and leave.

does that sound OK? is there anything i should ask about? any other preparations i should make? this is my first time spinning fire on request for an event, although i have a lot of experience of spinning.

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
You should speak to whom ever is reponsible for safety at the hotel and explain that you need space and all the other jazz that goes with dangerous substances...

I dont perform as of yet so dont have much experience but I do know you should have signs next to the parrafin and shouldnt be close to the crowd. I hope you are aware of the obvious: DONT do it near anything flamable or over carpet near curtains... etc...

Just BE SAFE!

and make sure you know where you are going to spin and have an idea of how much space to play with...

Not a subject to be taken lightly...

Hope I helped!
Drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
do you have insurance, not many places will not let you do fire inside if your not insured or even them for that matter, but i dont know how that works in canada.....good luck with it though man hope all goes well.

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
I'm sure you're going to do this anyway, but make sure that you have the very basics of protection at hand. If not an extinguisher, then at least a damp/wet towel.

Preferably have it in the hands of someone who knows what to do with it, rather than just putting it down near your performance area.

Other than that, probably the best performance tip is not to drop the staff/poi. Even if you stick to your basics and don't try anything tricky, you will look much better than trying something hard and stuffing up. The average audience doesn't appreciate expertise, only aesthetics.

Have fun and good luck (if I'm not too late lol)

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
so how'd it go man?