flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Out of interest, are other UK people ceasing the useage of fire toys during the next 8 days of firemans strikes? I've never set fire to anything personally, but I don't want to really do anything in public places and have people think I'm taking the piss.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
well seeing as two of my friends are perfoming fire both inside and outside the fridge in brixton on saturday night it seems lambeth council aren't too bothered...

personally, i think fire performances during these strikes are fine.
if the proper precautions are taken then the risk of a big fire is only marginally above the norm.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I thought as a mark of respect to our brave fire men and women I would not play with fire during the strike. But now the strike is on I am chomping at the bit, so to speak, to get outside and have a burn.

As I carry my own safety equipment and do not need nor expect the fire brigade to come to my assistance I don't suppose it matters much really. My time and effort would probably be bettter spent heading down to the picket line and showing my support that way.

Are we nearly there yet?

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
No. I always make sure that I have adequate safety precautions with me when I spin, and look out for others when they're spinning and I'm not. I have never started a fire or set fire to myself when spinning, even when I first started and didn't bother with things like spinning off excess fuel. I don't believe that I will suddenly begin now, just because the fire service have chosen to go about their negotiations in an irresponsible manner, and even if I did, my safeties would leap on it before anyone else even had a chance to notice it.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

milkmember
8 posts

Posted:
Hey Guys,

I am a melbourne spinner on my way to london. i arrive on Wed (27th) and would love to meet up with people to have a play.

IM me if you would like to join.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote: from another topic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Frazzle:
Do any UK people have any views on the current firefighter strike?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i got some.........****in ass holes like i pay enough taxes to keep those cheeky *******s in a job, why be greedy and as for such a big pay rise that makes me sick.
Yesterday i got a call from my troupe to see if i could fill in for a performer. having made the split second decission to go i was well up for it, so off we went to the hippodrome @ leicester Sq London. Well motorway signs are all flashing firefighter strikes drive with extra care. erm remember seeing these before. so gets to the club and sets every thing up we need for the night. And were sat there re working the fire shows to fit me in but also we have to tone it down because of this strike... understandably i might add...so me no gets to fire breathe. oh well next week maybe. spent half the show laughing at the bouncers stood there with extinguishers poor blokes.. we stil made 2 nice fire shows even if there wasnt much of it...oh well
point to this thats just how it affected us last night.. but my personal feelings, i dont agree with such a big pay rise! end off.

sorry for change in topic!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Lets look at it this way, soccer stars get paid how many millions to kick a ball? While firefighters put their life on the line to save your arse, and how much do they get paid?

Sounds to me like there should be a serius pay reversal.

True I wouldnt want to pay the taxes but man life is pretty damn unfair!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
My sister is an ambulance technician and has seen things that are beyond discription, she has to put herself in dangerous situations with very dangerous people, and has even been attacked whilst trying to save a life. She gets paid about the same as a fire fighter and she is not allowed to strike, even though in my opinion she puts herself at risk more often (as in the amount of times they get called out a shift) and has witnessed death, suffering and human depravity in its most exreme.
I am not saying the fire fighters dont have a case, but I think they are being a little bit greedy and selfish.

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Anyone want to go for a spin outside a picket line in support of the firefighters? Could get on TV.

Magnus... pay it forward

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
they chose that career, they now how much they get paid...fair play they see and have things done that we might not want to see or have done to us but in my eyes thats their problem they do the job.... and yeah some one has to, but in fairness do they really deserve such a payrise if i remember right its soming like 40%.
i am out of employment right now, i had a job for 3 years doing cellar work for a top night club (gatecrasher) here in the UK and put my back out nigh on 3 months ago and is still fuct now i earned like 9000 a year if that, fire fighters earn 20,000+ theres the difference why do they want such a rise? sure their necks are on the line i understand that but face it com'on be fair. life is life we could all die tommorrow for f***s sake money is all that, cant they just be happy with 10% at least they will get something.

2,905 posts

Posted:
From what they are saying, they barly make enough to survive on. Honestly I think there is more to it than greed.

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
£20,000 a year is about $31,000 and if they cannot survive on that then surely they should think about sorting out their budget!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Raymund Phule:
From what they are saying, they barly make enough to survive on.
that's not quite true.

yes, to support a family they make just enough to make ends meet.
but many firefighters have two jobs (their shiftwork at the stations mean that they have at least three days off a week).
lots work a night ot two as doormen/security etc and pull in a tidy extra wage.

however, i do think they deserve a pay rise - but really, 40%??!!!?
what about the teachers, nurses, doctors, paramedics, scoial workers?
all these people do selfless jobs and get paid next to nothing for their efforts.
they all deserve more money but it has to be come from somewhere and it has to be across the board to be at all fair.

spinning fire in front of a fire station sounds oddly appealing though

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Tambomember
97 posts

Posted:
Exactly!!! Like my sister (see above post). By the terms of her contract she cannot strike and I think she derserves more than £19000 for the job she does.

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
i personally agree with them...how the fuck can the government give themselves a 40% pay increaase? how can train drivers be paid £35,000 to sit in a warm cab, holding a handle and saying 'mind the gap'? thats fucking pathetic...i get so pissed off how the entire world revolves around money...why not get rid of it and pay people in material goods....and the poeple that made these goods would get paid in other goods....then there would be no strikes about wages, no street crime/ burglearies as if someone mugged you , you could go and get another phone for free straight away, they couldnt take you mnaey as you have none....god...this country makes me sick..

ooh...on the fire spinning outside a fire station is what i thought of on my own a few days ago and im going to do it...

[ 26. November 2002, 23:48: Message edited by: UCOF (emergency) ]

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

2,905 posts

Posted:
I dont pretend to know their situation, if they have other jobs and what not. Yes 40% is quite a bit. Depending on where you live in the US 31k is barely enough to survive on. That is with a family and all.

Also think about this, I know that in the states (in the places I have lived) when the firefighters were on duty they lived at the station. How many of you would like to go from one job never seeing your family for 4 days in a row, turn around and go to a second job the the meer 3 days that you have off? I know I wouldnt. I value my days off and I dont even have family within 900+ miles.

I agree that from a 31k to a 44k jump is too much. Over time inflation is going to bring the pay up.

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
I totally agree that they should get a rise, however not 40% I know a few firefighters and all have second jobs, painting and decorating etc.

Its quite hysterical that the fire union chief was found lying about his ludicrously high salary but I'm more concerned about the knock on effect. Does this mean if the fire union wins its 40% will the other unions begin to do this too?

Or will they do as the swedish nurses and threaten to strip if they dont get a pay rise... (surely some backwards philosophy there)

Some nasty economic shit coming our way i feel

sol

HEEEEEEEEED!!

2,905 posts

Posted:
*note to self: move to Sweeden and piss off hot nurse untill she strips*

UCOF (emergency)member
129 posts

Posted:
can i join you on doing that?

erm...this is only a temp account until i get home and get the password to my usual account...sorry (itsa still the same flipping wierdo though)

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I think that:

People should be payed according to how valuable the service they provide is.How long they've trained shouldn't come into it, neither should intellect.Unemployed people should have support only for as long as they are actively seeking jobs (PK, C@ntus etc...please don't shout at me)By this reckoning, dustmen and street sweepers who we CAN NOT FUNCTION WITHOUT should be payed lots lots more.
Doctors, Nurses, firemen, teachers, social workers...etc.. would also be payed lots.

People who don't provide as useful service for as many people would be payed less than they are now - (private doctors who only help a few rich people, etc.....)

The length of training or experience shouldn't dictate salary, so the guys at the top should be payed no more than the guys at the bottom - Hell, the guys at the bottom may be payed more if they're doing a better service..

All this = a society that rewards those who help others.

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Pk - I think you're spot on there! I was going to post after I'd had a chance to sort my thoughts out, and I come back and you've said just about everything I was going to.

FNF - But surely length (or at least quality) of training and experience would make you better able to do your job? How do you determine how good someone is at their job when it's something like tackling fires, where every situation is different from the last, so no fair comparison could ever be made? A nice idea, but unfortunately, the world doesn't work like that.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
for once i feel that my vote for tony blair was maybe some what worth it, how ever i would like to point out that i am anti govenment and monachy and i didnt really want to vote but when u get 4 reminders that your gonna get fined 1000 pounds for not voting then i thought i should at least put some dumb assholes name on a bit of paper!.
i'm all in agreement with blair right now. he is standing his ground pretty damn good. the economic climate is gonna go wacko if this carries on the ways its going.. all ready in the news there are shouts of strike from the teachers and so on.. their all gonna be waning a pay rise in 2003, fire, police, teachers health workers... its gonna suck... cant remember who it was that said it now but i liked and suport it all the way and thats if they are gonna get a pay rise then its not coming from taxes!! and the services provided had better be looked at and imporved in many ways.
its all bullshit at the end of the day.. we would all love to be well off wouldnt we? but thats life face it we live in a shitty economic cimate where we get taxed too much from our hard earned. thats why i like performance gigs tax free i go home with what i earned nothing more nothing less, it may not be brilliant but i am happy.
Ros what you saying? i am still being payed by my company and as of yet the govenment have given me nowt... so how far can u push 63 quid a week and pay bills and rent? belive me i live on 2 quid a week and have done for the past 3 months.
but i do agree... makes me wonder that when i applied for housing benefits 3 months ago how dole dossers get away with it... they are scroupuless.. they wanna know every thing. cantus you got any tips? i wanna rip off the govenment mate... bleed em dry, i worked every day of my life since i was 14 and they give me nothing.
on a lighter note have a hug