Forums > Help! > Professional Videos

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have been asked to make a few professional-instruction style-videos.

I would love if anyone here could offer any help or advice, including....

Cost estimate for production (including lights, sound, etc..)

Suggestions on the best and most cost effective way to package the videos.

Any thoughts-ideas-insights would be most helpful!
Thanks!
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
dunno bout costs, but filming wise, if you are gonna do poi or staff and such, then lots of close ups from MULTIPLE angles. especially for complex moves.

as for how you do it, a lot can be done without paying out large sums of money, you just need a good place to film, a steady camera(s) and good mics. the editing process however will do the most good.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
If you aren't gonna pay a fortune for the equipment...

lighting on a budget

as for sound, try visiting your local rentals place to see if you can rent a mic on a stick and a furry wind cover thing.

get a crew, one person for sound, one for lighting, one for camera work, one for coffee and cakes (its the law you know!) Check out a local school/college's amature film maker's club, I'm sure they'll volunteer themselves smile

for packaging, try eBay for cheap wholestock dvd case deals.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hey Pele, speaking as a film student and having done a LOT of work for people incudling soem instructional videos (for a martial arts dvd and aerobics) you would be very surprised at how cheap you can do it all on. I made one for my brother and the only expenditure was petrol travelling to london and 50 pounds for our troubles and made a great dvd which is now being sold in harrods and selfridges, however we used our own cameras which just happen to be extremely good cameras which i dont think your average person would have, however the rest of the equipment (including cameras if we needed it) we borrowed from our university. My advice would be to approach film students, they can normally hire good quality equipment for free from their university and will be more than willing to do it because its something to put as their extra effort int heir course as part of the marking in the degree is outside work, and you'll get much enthusiasm and they will probably do it for near enough free minus expense costs, ask around smile

If you had a big enough budget you could fly me out to the USA and ill do it for you ubbangel wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Stand infront of the camera and BE SURE TO SPEAK LOUD ANOUGH lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
yes...or do that

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Do you have any of your own video equipment?

If not they're not too expensive to hire for a day or two, and if you plan ahead you can structure it well enough to fit all the filming you need and more in.

Lean on friends if you can, does someone you know have a reasonably new home vid camera? Does someone else have a stand alone mike perhaps?

For packaging costs etc simply go online and search for discs prices and the sort of boxes you want to use, I'm presuming it'll end up being DVD to keep prices down yeah? A local printer will give you a quote for the cover(s) if you design them, then you can decide what batch price will suit you best for how many you want/can afford to buy.

Pool whatever free resource you find, friends can always help or know someone who can. Do you know anyone who can/can you edit? Simple programs like Windows Movie Maker will probably be good enough if it doesn't need to be lavish.

You should be able to do it all on a very small budget, no more than a couple hundred bucks

smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dunc...I have nothing except a friend who can help with lighting, sort of, and a place to do it.
I am at square one.

I have tonnes and tonnes of instructional DVD's here so I know what I do and do not like, so I have my notes on that.
I know exactly what I would cover, and how I want to do it.

Pyrowill, I think the idea of talking to some film students would be fabulous, especially because I think I might know the ones to approach. Sadly, I can't afford to fly you over but thanks for the offer! wink
Thanks for that idea!!!!!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

I have tonnes and tonnes of instructional DVD's here so I know what I do and do not like, so I have my notes on that.
I know exactly what I would cover, and how I want to do it.

scripty scritpy script! write it down... in order. if only so you'll remember what you want to cover. I know I always forget....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Have you thought about filming each move from multiple angles? Many people show a move from only the front and/or one side.

Cheers!
Patrick

p.s. Is the film spinning or belly dancing? Or something else entirely?

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Pele: Just agreeing with what Will says. I'm fresh out of uni (vis arts, television, digital media) and have done some film related stuff. The best way to go about it is approaching your local university, maybe a film lecturer (as opposed to the admin guys). Just say what you're looking to produce, and if they work like my uni, he/she'd send an email out to the film/media students inviting expressions of interest. Once you've narrowed it down to a few groups, you could possibly choose based on their past film projects. Key is to get an enthusiastic lecturer though.

It's win/win because on they need the experience and getting stuff for their resume, and you need a video. Equipment wise, you'd need a broadcast quality camera. We used a Sony DSR 250 https://www.adorama.com/SODSR250ENGP.html,
but these days if the uni's a really cutting edge one, you might even have a HD camera. If not, make sure you at least have a Sony PD 150 with a boom mic and a mixer for other sound inputs. Just on the filming side, you need a crew of around 5 (lighting, sound (and someone to hold the boom mic, camera, direction etc.)

You can do it for a lot less than you'd expect, but you'd have to do a lot more talking/meetings/arrangements and expect work which isn't guaranteed professional quality. If you end up hiring a crew, what you're paying for, really, is peace of mind and a whole lot less hassle. Eitherway, good luck and see how it goes.

HOP Newsletter