Forums > Social Chat > Martial applications of poi (again!)

Login/Join to Participate

NekkidBoynewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Hullo!

As a wee addition to the recent discussion...

I've recently attended a few (very entertaining) lessons on Victorian Gentleman's Defence or How To Defend Oneself From Common Ruffians Using Only One's Walking Stick, Cloak and High Moral Standing. The classes were based on a variety of late-nineteenth and early twentieth century treatises on defence such as "Walking Stick" Method of Self-Defence by "an officer of the Indian Police" (https://www.paladin-press.com/detail.aspx?ID=1086) and Barton-Wright's Bartitsu (combination of Ju-Jitsu, western pugilism and several other martial arts).

But, to get to the point, one lesson involved flicking one's cloak at your opponent/opponents and swirling it about your head (think weaves) to create space about you and confuse your foe before whacking them solidly across the noggin with your cane. Knowing (admittedly just a little) about poi made this very easy and I instantly thought of the parallels.

Just thought you all might be interested...

80)

Stu.(Katp's hubby who lacks the moustache to be truly proficient in this martial art!))

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I have a question...
knowing its already been discussed, why post another with the same topic???
confused
*looks up at the newbie status*
Ahhh, I see.... wink

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

NekkidBoynewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Deliberate choice.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Deliberate choice of posting repeated topics = post deletion or locking of the thread.

just thought you should know.

(don't roll your eyes at me! lol)

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I think the ey were trying to point out a variant on the normal poi martial arts by demonstrating that a poi "style" manouvre has been taught in anoff beat self defense class...and also pointed out that the "weave" movement can create a space around you fopr defensive perposes using an impliment that is not Poi..

So if in trouble remember.. a coat could help you defend yourself if you spin a weave pattern..

(also good to make yourself appear larger if confronted by a mountain lion...whatever you do DON'T run away!!!)

although tink I agree this COULD have been posted in the other thread wink

I like to see both sides of an argument...if only to beat myself ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

NekkidBoynewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Yep. I thought this to not be in the same vein as the original thread but perhaps of interest to those who followed it.

I apologise if anyone was upset.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: NekkidBoy

Yep. I thought this to not be in the same vein as the original thread but perhaps of interest to those who followed it.

We're not upset. We were just trying to warn you before some says something like don't post repeat topics, post in the existing threads, fool or posts some link like this one , mocking you.

So now you know what to look out for. smile

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

if only to beat myself ubblol

you beat yourself!!!!! eek

YOU stange person

wink biggrin

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: NekkidBoy

Not upset, just I do searches, I find nothing, I start a topic and then someone (cantus) tells me there is already a thread about it lol

Its all a matter of not posting new stuff when you don't have to. Saves energy and storage space or something.

The fact is sweetheart that repeat topics do get either locked or deleted eventually, so there isn't really a point in doing it *shrugs*

-----edit---

oh my god I called you sweetheart - I'm getting old ubblol
EDITED_BY: TinklePants (1135080452)

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
LOL oh I wanna see that, victorian britain martial arts...

I say chaps, theres a ruffian coming at me!

Watch out old bean! Its a jonny foregner!

Huzzah, we have beaten him, shall we retire to the pub for a spot of brandy?

I say what a marvolouse idea *wiggles mustache*

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Don't forget to tap the dottle of your pipe Joe wink ubblol

the foreigner was a cad what ho .... ubblol I likey leaky

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.