Forums > Social Discussion > Ideas to Help Prevent Youth Suicide

Login/Join to Participate

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi all wave

Big Chance to Help Prevent Youth Suicide

I’m after thoughts, experiences and ideas that could make a contribution to my help prevent youth suicide project, which I’m doing as part of my Landmark Education.

My idea is to have kids record uplifting messages/mixes/tunes on a cd. So, that if a person was feeling down, then playing the cd might get them out of that hole. The title is “This is da Music dat Heals. I kinda borrowed the idea from a Herbie Hancock cd, called “Tis is da Drum that Heals” (or something like that).

I got into this because there was poll recently, and youth suicide was the major concern for young people. Then Sue at work told us about her son committing suicide, the Catherine, then it was like everyone knew had been affected by suicide. I often remember one dark summer when I was isolated on the farm over summers holidays, and I could have been a statistic too.

Now, I have a friend who teaches DJ’n in schools, and she might have access to a studio. So, it think it’s achievable, but I’m really open to any thought, ideas etc. Any contribution, that will help make this project really mean something for kids and adults alike.

Thanks smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I think it's kinda difficult, cause what lifts one kid up can bring the other one down...

Take something like a song about friendship: One youth will go "oh yeah, I've got good friend, even if they're not around now, I know they love me" and feel better. Another one will think "Yeah right, if (soandso) hadn't treated me like sh!t even though I trusted him/her I wouldn't be feeling so bad in the first place", or "I don't even have friends, I must really be worthless".

Apart from that I'd like to help with ideas of songs, but I doubt that my taste would fit more than 5% of under-18s shrug

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

Thanks Birgit, good points. There are some limitations, and the cd may be may not have much impact past the school gate. No problem, part of the idea is to build skills and confidence as well as involving parents and community.

Suicide can also be impulsive. The youth suicide rate dropped in country Australia when the introduction of gun laws made it more difficult for people to get hold of a gun. Restricted access meant people got a chance to change their mind. So, my original idea was to have something like a cd of healing music that could fill the vacuum. Like a cd with tribal druming. Not sure about new age "waterfall" type music.

\

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
great idea stone, good luck with your project hug

I guess I'd be put off if it was all shiny happy music - yes, I know how music affects moods, but if I'm into hardcore, and someone suggests I listen to some tribal drumming - I'm not going to connect with you and probably feel more isolated.

what I'm trying to say, is that for those of us who listen to 'angry' music, there needs to be something to cater for that lot as well...Pennywise do a good job of playing uplifting music that's not obviuosly uplifting - till you listen to the words

sorry stone - I make no sense a week before christmas biggrin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Stone, do you know about these guys? https://www.beyondblue.org.au/ybblue/index.aspx?link_id=72

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Cheers Ade, I hear what you are saying about shiny happy music. It’s kinda like listening to the Blues, and I’m reminded of John Lee Hooker’s album - The Healer. I have someone who can help with song writing and comedy, and maybe we can get a few original lyrics recorded.

Hi Stout, I haven’t been to BeyondBlue recently. Got side tracked at asueinet. Thanx

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
is the idea to distribute it to all kids? or have it as a resource in schools?

hmm... not sure on the whole type of music thing, but would be good to let kids know they're not alone, and maybe include somehow some links to support networks if they need it??? but guess this info could change??? hmmm...

bestest of luck with this hug
take care
xxx

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi Psycho lemming, I don’t think the cd will be a cure all, but it may make a difference for some. My idea is for school kids (that are learning to dj or have experience) to record their music and/or message on a cd, probably during the holidays. The cd can then be distributed however they want. Perhaps by making some tracks available online through their home pages or by burning copies for friends.

For sure, letting kids know they're not alone is important, as are improving skills and raising awareness in the community. I think the cd also provides something tangible that parents and kids can discuss together. It is intended that contact info etc. would be included. Cheers smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
from my understanding people who commit suicide are extremely sad/isolated if you want to do something to help school kids i would suggest starting a free after hours spinning/juggling group which welcomes everyone/gives kids a non compeditive skill to excell at/creates a common ground for kids to build friendships upon.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hey stone hug2 fantastic idea!

It's not an easy one... listening to shiny happy music in situations where you need tribal earthy drumming can make some throw up, I guess. The whole "it's a wonderful world (after all)"-like Disneyland is just not reflecting the universe of an endangered teen.

"Keep your hands off drug abuse"-slogans also not.

DO SOMETHING might be the best message and I agree on BjM: Spinn and you'll grinn... weavesmiley (applies by the way to any de/constructive hobby aswell)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I like Ben-ja-men's idea as well. I think the CD would be really difficult to appeal. Look at how many tastes we have here! But a program that is easily accessible for people to get involved in would be great. Although probably difficult, one at schools is good because its no a drive into the city for it, and it lets young people know they have a support network right there surrounding them. Sometimes getting to the city where a program is can be too hard, and a city program of kids coming in from different backgrounds can have its drawbacks as well. I know that probably sounds really racist, but i'm not really talking race here. I've been isolated at those things for the school i went to, and while I wasn't suicidal, it made me feel pretty crappy and it might end worse for someone who was a bit mroe unstable.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Here's a list of songs you might consider for the cd.

"Suicide is painless" by Mike Altman
"Kill Yourself" by S.O.D.
"People Who Died" by Jim Carroll Band
"Like Suicide" by Soundgarden
"Gone" by 4Lyn
"Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed?" by Linda & Richard Thompson
"Jumper" by Third Eye Blind

After all, if its worth making a song about, it can't be all that serious?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Ben, I agree with the skills. And in that respect this is also about the process as well as the product. Not sure about competition, as I was thinking of having a pros v kids.

FireTom, for sure listening to shiny happy music can make some throw up, that’s why kids will get the opportunity to do what they think will work best. Though, they will probably be working with trance, acid type stuff, maybe sum house hiphop 2.

Ditto Patrick

Rouge, that’s was a great point about the people who miss out, I’ve been there, and it’s not good. The dj’s visit schools but we will need transport to the studio, near the end of the holidays. It would be good to take it to the country and remote communities as well. Perhaps later. IT should also be noted that ALL HOPers listen and enjoy psy trance wink

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i guess i think that setting up something permanent so that there is a constant oppertunity to meet new ppl is more valueable than trying to get to lots of different schools to help a wider base

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
One thing about suicide is that it's not easy to stop. Suicide is usually the end result of a very long and convoluted series of events. "Snap" suicide (people jumping out windows of the Empire State Building during the 1929 Stock Market Crash) is, of course, virtually impossible to stop.

But a happy song isn't going to stop it. The way you stop suicide is to identify depression, since that is by far the most common underlying cause of suicide. And then you have to find the warning signs that someone is about to commit suicide (a sudden appearance of being at peace, giving away prized possessions, etc.).

One other thing, and I hate to be the guy always pushing the same agenda, but... Suicide is the second most frequent cause of death among the population between ages 15 and 24. LGBT youth account for 30% of all teen suicide, but probably less than 5% of the teen population. Thus, LGBT youth are 6-10 times as likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers. 42% of LGBT youth make at least one suicide attempt. 53% of LGBT street youth have attempted at least once and 47% have tried multiple times.

This is one reason why I started a queer youth group in Ann Arbor.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Lightning, that’s so good. How big is Ann Arbor? Over here in Australia the suicide rate is much higher in isolated country towns. My stats are old, but I would say the rate is probably much higher for LGBT youth living in those towns. I’ll see if I can get something started in the country, after all I spent 20 years in the "never never".

For sure people can make a difference, and thanks to everyone for all the great advice and contributions so far. From establishing permanent links in schools to going BeyondBlue and back, it’s all been helpful and will help make a difference.

cheers smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
We have the same thing over here with elevated suicide rates in isolated small towns which got me to thinking.....

How about establishing a chatroom for those considering suicide? I think it would need to me moderated by a counselor and would probably need some type of registration to stop the wrong people from accessing it, also there would probably be privacy issues too.

I don't know if anything like this already exists, in fact I only knew about YBB because I met some of the organizers last year, and they were very good at convincing me to do some work for them, ( which is not an easy thing to do, but their dedication impressed me )

It may have a few advantages over a phone in system, such as greater anoynominity, nobody could overhear, no long distance charges showing up on a phone bill, and the internet is an easy place to spill your guts,,, really just look at some of the threads on this site.

I don't know how working GBLTQ issues in with straight issues would work out. In an ideal world it wouldn't matter, but obviously this isn't an ideal world, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion, so maybe a series of topical chatrooms might work a little more effectively.

Just a few thoughts.....

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I think that stopping suicide directly is much more difficult than addressing some of the symptoms that lead to depression in the first place.

I think it would be much easier to build confidence in children years before suicide becomes an option than in trying to talk them out of it days before.

I'm sure after school programs and even light hearted sports teams have stopped more suicides than any direct intervention program.

When a lost kid finds a club or a friend or an activity the whole world becomes brighter.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Written by: stout

How about establishing a chatroom...? I think it would need to me moderated by a counselor...and...registration to stop the wrong people from accessing...

Especially the moderation is SO important on this one - I guess you had the same thought as me... what about whackos then giving this final push...? eek

Q: why are those m'bournians just so awesome? hug
Please if you have something permanent going on... follow us up on it, will ya?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
You mentioned "happy stuff." comedy falls into this catagory yes? how about some really silly, funny, stupid stuff?

Kids worry way too much these days. A little laughter in their lives would be uplifting, I think.

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Great advice. I’ll have to see what’s out there, but I’m thinking of establishing a chat/forum group working through established internet cafes that exist in most small country towns (community and commercial). I’ll rope in the supervisors of the café’s to act as moderators.

I used to be on the arts committee in my old town, so it would be easy enough to organise some skill’s workshops around next years Arts Festival. I also know

The cd may still live. My dj teacher runs workshops over the summer. These workshops also include song writing and comedy, and I trying to convince her to hold an open decks or recording day at the end of the holidays.

I really believe we should put most of our resources into training primary school kids, because that’s when the brain is growing rapidly, and the are our forming years.

More ideas welcome?

cheers smile

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
Hey Stone...!
My name is Rach....Havent posted here in a while... I'm a second year out (of Uni) High School teacher - I've worked on a number of youth suicide/self-esteem/encouragement programs in high schools and universities...

I am absolutely passionate about youth issues, particularly those concerned with depression and Youth Suicide. In fact, a friend of mine is currently traveling the world on motorbike to beat the world record and to raise funds for HERE FOR LIFE, a youth sucide program in case you havent come across it... You can check out his trip on www.loston.com

If you need any help, etc or you've got specific things that you wanna do and might be stuck on, give me a msg back and we'll chat - I'd love to help out!
Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Written by: TinklePants

You mentioned "happy stuff." comedy falls into this catagory yes? how about some really silly, funny, stupid stuff?

Kids worry way too much these days. A little laughter in their lives would be uplifting, I think.

Like this?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

Thanks’ Rach. My next task is to catch up with an old friend, who is a youth social worker in the country. I'll see what he thinks of my ideas.

I used to ride before I became a fire twirler, so I will look at site etc early in 2006.

All the best for the New Year smile

NO!