RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Gountlets:

It looks like you have fire close up to your wrist. Its like tennis "wristlet" with stick and small wick. You can see Bluecat and othe guy doing Capoera, with fire gountlets on roughkutz vid.

How is it called, gountlets?

One another thing I saw on Falmouth 4, its likie you have fire in your hand but not. It like glowstickers stylish body movin. It like wristlet around your finger with stick and small wick.

What is it, how it it called?

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Lol, are you talking about firehands?

Ermmm... ok, I described how to make them somewhere, but am in an internet cafe right now and a bit pushed for time.

Basically, met a guy called Richard in Koh Phan Ngan last year... he was friends with the Edinburgh crew... anyhoo... he had attached a little bit of wick to a wire which he twisted round his hand.

I changed the design a bit and started dancing about with them. You can't really do any 'moves', but they're good for wiggling with (and the start of a show). Also you can turn them round and use them along with poi and staff (double staff looks particularly lovely).

Brought them to Falmouth 3, and Durbs realised the liquid-movement potential.

Made lots of them at the Galway juggling convention and posted instructions of how to make them on here.

Falmouth 4: Arashi told me he used them for belly-dancing type arm movements and I finally saw the pook ones (thanks to mcp), which are frickin excellent leather studded ones.

At least, I think that's how it happened. My memory is awful.

shrug

Firehands are lots of deep stretches and poncing. But also lots of fun biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I found it lurking in a Fal 3 video thread!

Written by:

Firepoise's Fire Palm making instructions

Take a strip of electrician's tape (flat, bendy metal strip, coated in a tough black plastic with holes in the middle). It's otherwise known as perforated tape. (About £8 for lots). You can buy it at an electrician's store.

Bend it round the main part of your hand (not including thumb) so that it fits without sliding or moving.

Then take a piece of stiff wire (about coat hanger thickness) and twist one end through a hole in the strip... it should look like it's pointing out between 15/18 cms from the palm of your hand.

You will need to secure that wire to the metal strip to stop it wobbling about - if you have access to welding equipment, use that... otherwise, secure it with tough gaffa tape.

Take a small piece of kevlar and wrap it a centimetre or two below the pointy end of the coathanger wire. Secure the kevlar in place with very thin wire (like chicken wire?!).

Fold the remaining coathanger wire back down onto the kevlar for added security.

Dont be too enthusiastic about the amount of kevlar you use... if you use too much, the flame will be too big and hot and will burn your hands (then you'll have to take the whole thing apart and redo it).

There's only a few centimetres of 2 inch wide wick on my firehands and they burn nicely and for a long time.

Repeat the whole process for your other hand and you have a set of firehands

It's also important to get some kevlar gloves.

Faberge kindly gave me a pair she had, but you can buy them in some shops. This keeps the heat down and makes it easier to form that 'ball' effect, without burning your top hand.

I'm still not really sure what to do with them - so I resort to just waving them about a bit. People who can move funkily, like Durbs, can make them look great

Just be careful, have fun and teach me all the new stuff!

And just so you know, the guy who gave me the idea for these sadly died recently... so spread the idea on - it'll be something to keep the memory of the man I knew alive.

Take care... and sorry if the explanation is a bit crap

I made a pair for lavatwilight out of coat hanger wire with a spiraly bit that goes around the hand, i'll try and get him to put a pic up of them
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1134662038)

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Good woman yourself!!!

hug

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

and I finally saw the pook ones (thanks to mcp), which are frickin excellent leather studded ones.

pook ones! They're mine! All mine! I'm not a pook!

I can post how to make mine if anybody is interested. But right now I have to leave the house....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
meg: yes, please!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Written by:

I can post how to make mine if anybody is interested. But right now I have to leave the house....

What a tease spank

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
tongue

gountlets = gauntlets

The ones you are thinking of (the fire capoeira) are bracers of stiff leather, with holes pressed into them. Then bailing wire scaffolding (kinda trianglular sections) sewn into the leather, or sometimes passed through the leather (through the holes!) The wick is obviously attached on the top of the scaffolding. Well it's hard to explain.

My fire hands:

Heavy duty bailing wire again, One end taken, with a hands length left sticking up from the back of your hand, wrap it around your hand a few of times, however many you feel like really, 4 or 5. (this will probably hurt.) (if you're going to wear a glove, do it on top of the gloves)

Then twist the rest of the wire around the bit you left sticking up, twist it so it's even, not straight, (you can straighten it out later.) Twist them together till you feel enough distance between you and where the bottom of the wick will be. Cut one of the wire ends off here, leave the other on it's own. It should roughly be twice the width of the wick you're using.

Straighten up the twisted section with pliers.

Wrap the wick around the top tightly. The bottom of the wick should get spiked on the bottom bit of wire you left. Pull the top wire down over the end of the wick, use pliers to squeeze the wire against itself at the top, this should get it nice and tight. Pull the wire down tight and wrap it around the twisted section some. Then cut off the wire and use the pliers to force the spikey end inwards so you don't catch yourself on it.

If you pulled the final wire tight, you should have it recessed slightly in the wick, not much, but a little.

Variations:

1) Twisting two sections of wire before hand, and using this stronger, stiffer twisted wire to make the whole thing above, so that the stalk of the wick is 4 wires thick.

2) Instead of just wrapping the wire around you hand, you can not have it go all the way round your hand and plier it into a sort of pincer or clamp shape, so that you can adjust the tension somewhat.

I also use leather glovelets to secure the second variation to my hand better, but this is a subject for a long post tomorrow I feel.

abuse me if any bits don't make sense.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Cant wait to dance with smile, thank you,

Actually, where it in fact came from?

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thank you lady biggrin biggrin

No idea Richee...

But have fun anyways hug

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Thankee, Meg!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
richee:
belly dancers and indian dancers made this stuff up long ago. "hand candles" or "fire bowls" is what they call them.

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Thanks mister

hug

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Richee, something I've done but not actually ever seen is just holding small wicks with welding gloves. I think it's got lots of potential to mix freehand glowsticking with fire.

I know it's not exactly what you meant, but it reminded me of it.

Unfortunately, I kind of forgot about it for a while. Life is always too busy. I think there's a video of my first few attempts somewhere.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh... turns out it's in my gallery.

ubblol

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

I feel like in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing, it could be brilliant. Unfortunately, it's just me.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ok, so I finally got around to making some of these. I used some wire which I found in a skip and some kevlar rope wick I had kicking around.

Because I'm using such a small piece of wick though, its mostly the inside of the rope (tis quite thick) that burns rather than the outside: resulting in rather short burn times.

so I'm going to look into buying some standard wicking that I can use to make a small cylinder

decemberscalmSILVER Member
49 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Oh... turns out it's in my gallery.

ubblol

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

I feel like in the hands of someone that knows what they're doing, it could be brilliant. Unfortunately, it's just me.

Your not bad ^,^; Loved the video. What material is your hoodie made out of? (The fire's ALOT closer to you tracing than when Poi'ing O.O)
Too bad you can't do it in clubs ^^ People would spaz. ubbrollsmile

I'm learning liquid, kind of a hassle as I need a mirror, and when the mirror is gone I forget almost evrything. x.x

RagnarokFireBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
We make palm torches, which have a steel base, finger loops, steel rod, and 1.5" Kevlar wick. Depending on your fuel, they'll usually burn for at least five minutes, maybe longer.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=86...100531809977689

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I've made flaming gloves before, the outside gloves ended up burning along with the Isopropyl and I flung them off my hands because they wouldn't go out. Failed experiment. I wasn't hurt at all though because of how I made them smile Having your hands on fire scares the censored out of you.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

KyleG4uSILVER Member
KyleG4u
68 posts

Posted:
I have some very thick fire proof gloves, i think they are made out of kevlar, but they are about a half and inch think, and I have stuck my hands literally in fire, juggled flaming balls, and grabbed the wicks on my poi and staff. Im kinda tempted to wear a leather coat, put on another pair of gloves *preferably leather* and tuck the gloves over the leather sleeves on my coat. I wonder if i soaked the gloves in kerosene if they would be safe to burn on top of leather gloves and leather sleeves. It might work out i dunno, either way im going to catch it on tape if i try it out, if i do ill definitely post up whether or not it was a good idea.

It's like when you can't remember something you get.... short term.... kidney failure, that's gotta be it, something wrong with your kidneys...
---------------------------------
Love Peace Chicken Grease, Live Laugh Love