VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Ok i've made my own ropedart, its nothing special, nothing clever, but there is one problem with it, i'm using garden twine at the rope, not only does this have lots of little fary-y bits, but it snaps after a short while so i was wondering if any of you nice techie people in this forum could tell me a better type of string to use

(lol anyone else find this question slightly surreal??)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
rock climbing rope works wonders

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
too thick

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
i've been told hemp rope (and it comes in many different sizes) works well. but i don't have access to any so i can't comment yet.

and yeah, i'm also trying to make a fire rope dart too, just haven't decided on how i should construct the firehead yet.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
if you go to a decent rock climbing store, or even a boating supply store, they have heaps of different thicknesses or really nice rope.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

i8beefy2GOLD Member
addict
674 posts

Posted:
Any natural fiber rope should work... clothes line, etc. I say natural fiber in case you plan to do fire rope dart. Then you just attach a 6" piece of chain onto the end and attach a monkey's fist to the end.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Parachute cord, aka 550 line (rated to 550 pounds) is good, but a little stretchy.

Hit up a climbing shop and look for prussik cord, (accessory cord, or a number of other names) They'll usually have a number of different sizes from 3mm to 9mm lines. Pick your size and pretty pattern and you should be good to go. This stuff is harder to cut on your own, so figure out your length you want before hand and they'll cut it for you. If you cut it on your own you'll want/need a hotknife since the core is seperate from the sheath and you don't want them to seperate with work. Usually sold in 30' lengths for ~$10 give or take, or sold by the foot for about 20-40 cents depending on your length.

I wouldn't use a traditional rock climbing rope, since generally they're dynamic lines (they stretch). Static lines would be okay but they're thicker than prussik cord since prussiks are designed to be tied around the bigger ropes...

Watch out with fire and synthetic ropes though..

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That bloke Lurch.. he sounds like he knows what he is talking about.
*stands next to Lurch*

smile

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
Check out any hardware store. Anything nylon shouldn't break too quickly and it comes in lots of sizes.

Don't mind me, just passing through.