Forums > Social Chat > Clarification on threads

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Not that I was actually a fan of the gayfest threads et all... but I was under the impression they were taken down because they were crossing the border of PG into something not PG.

So...
I'm interested to know why the new ones were taken down and given a harsh slap? Were they taken down for additional reasons then?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I dont know. I read them and saw nothing which may be not viewable to minors. I would like to know why the new ones were removed?

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
This is a nightmare, the whole "be careful what you say there might be minors" etc...

Therefore we can't technically talk to anyone we don't know, i.e. 3/4 of people on HOP, in any aspect of fire spinning in case we are encouraging a minor to spin?

Recently on a thread an arguement used against encouraging people to do certain moves was that I might "be talking to a minor".

WTF?!? (oops, ignore this allusion to sweary words minors)

How are we supposed to discuss any fire spinning, the purpose of this forum, for fear of encouraging minors?

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I think the pg-ness was just brought up because of all the pictures of men kissing! Allthough I was surprised it was removed before any warnings where given, course all the pictures were on the last 3 pages, you could have asked all the posters to remove there own pictures, and the new gay fest being locked is just...well odd since it was the content within the gayfest wich was deemed unfit, not the gayfest thread itself.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Ahh, thank goodness for unmentionables. Am I annoying anyone with this yet? ubblol

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Men kissing isn't unsuitable for minors umm (or is that a minority view?)

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
I was just going to say that...my kids witness other people kissing in public all the time- we are of the opinion that it is normal.

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Jeff, in that case pictures of anyone kissing, whether that's straight or not should be deemed unsuitable for the under agers. However, the decision has been made. Whether we like it or not, there's only two things we can do. Leave HoP in protest or move on.

I know what I'm gonna do! Leave HoP!

Nah, I love it too much, I think I'll stay and try and try and work out how to be free with out going over the top and spoiling it for the youngsters.

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

1,189 posts

Posted:
Perhaps there was another reason...is there a set of official guidelines of what is and isn't allowed?

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...so the fact that I said it was blatant disrespect of the wishes of the people who run this bb. I don't know who closed the threads the first time, but I support his/her wishes and respect that the thread should not exsist.

We have had multitudes of threads where people were asked to do one thing in the intro thread, and down the page people were completely dishonoring that request.
It was already tried with the pre-exsisting threads, there was absolutely no reason to try again.

There are alot of newbies on here, so perhaps that is why these questions are coming up again, so I will say again what we have said before....

On this bb you are allowed much more freedom than on other bb's, it's true. However, there are rules...we enforce them. Our judgements and rulings are never without reason, and very often we do issue warnings and reasonings via PM. This is not a free land. This is a privately owned bb.

It is really not hard to figure out what PG pertains to, common sense should dictate that but if you have doubts, go back and review the rules you agreed to when you signed up, or ask a mod....it's what we're here for.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

1,189 posts

Posted:
Out of curiousity does HOP consider men kissing to be outside of PG? I mean no-one bats an eyelid at it in Britain but if majority opinion on HOP is different then I can understand it if that was the reason for the threads deletion. Then again I haven't hear any official word that that was the reason was for the supposedly PG version.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
OK, I'll ask.

Why were the new (and still apparantly PG rated) Gay/Straight-Fests taken down?

I don't particularly care anyway, because I didn't really post in them. However I was under the impression that some people were really enjoying themselves.

I avoid posting images, because I can't be bothered to work out how, and it saves people protesting against it. Simple.

Written by: Pele

I said it was blatant disrespect of the wishes of the people who run this bb.

Really? A Mod shut down the other threads because they weren't PG. The new threads were. In what way is this disrespectful to the Mod? A warning in the thread itself and then a time period to see whether the warning has effect would surely be more... considerate?... to the people who started the new threads?

Written by: Pele

This is not a free land.

Well that's not very Hippy-ish is it? wink ubbrollsmile

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Written by: jeff(fake)

Out of curiousity does HOP consider men kissing to be outside of PG? I mean no-one bats an eyelid at it in Britain but if majority opinion on HOP is different then I can understand it if that was the reason for the threads deletion. Then again I haven't hear any official word that that was the reason was for the supposedly PG version.

I was the one that deleted the original Straightfest & the Gayfest. I think it's simply safer to have no adult-esque pics of people, regardless of how artfully it's presented, on these forums. We have to apply blanket rules, because to apply personal discretion in the moderation of each and every post would result in subjective moderation, and I'm sure you'd all have something to say about that. ubbrollsmile

I actually deleted the threads more for the content not the pictures. Talk of torture, orgies etc is just not on. The internet is huge, and we know that HOP is home to many, many people however there are plenty of opportunities for smut elsewhere. You don't need to do it here.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Er, yes, people...

The point of this thread tho was to ask about the new ones. That were in fact pg. The old ones wern't (from what i heard anyway!)

But I'm wondering what about the new ones. Because I thought it was about the content... not so much the concept. Or were they deemed inseperable?

Flash, Pele, other mods?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
And to think I wasn't going to get involved....

Out of curiousity does HOP consider men kissing to be outside of PG?

Although I cannot speak for Home of Poi. I have to say that I don't believe that the idea or images of men kissing was an issue. That was brought up by a person in this thread and everyone seemed latch onto it. I believe that the problems with the deleted threads were the certain degree of risque and often bordering on lewd sexual references. Albeit said in jest but could easily be misconstrued and/or cause offence.

Just a thought...

Written by: Sethis

Really? A Mod shut down the other threads because they weren't PG. The new threads were. In what way is this disrespectful to the Mod? A warning in the thread itself and then a time period to see whether the warning has effect would surely be more... considerate?... to the people who started the new threads?

The Mods don't run HoP. They only police it. Or moderate it (hence the name). Who's to say that the people who started the threads weren't warned? Although as it was Flashy they probably weren't ( wink love you Flash!!)

ps I wrote this before Flash had replied... rolleyes hug

Meh

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I can't speak for Pele, who summarised the answer already (I thought), but consider it a pre-emptive strike. As Pele was the one to shut-down the 2nd generation of the threads in question, she's probably in a better position to explain than I am.

You all knew the rules, and we gave you the chance to prove that you weren't going to break them with the threads in question. Why would the mods presume that a second chance wouldn't degenerate also? The rules were in place before the first 2 threads were created; members shouldn't have to be reminded how to behave.

What's the platitude? Once bitten, twice shy or something like that?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
What is a straight/gay fest, if not an excuse to flirt? And try to add as much witty, sexual innuendo as you can? I'm sure they weren't started that way, but that is how they ended up.

There have been countless flirting threads that have been deleted in the past, because things go overboard.

Even in a completely non-sex related thread recently, Someone got REALLY smutty and personal. I think it was quite amazing, and highly commendable, of the person that it was directed to not to get offended. I actually said to the person that it was a bit over the top, because I was disgusted to read it on this board.

IMO, HoP isn't a Gay/Straight/Bi/Bestial dating/chat/pick up site. there are, as I've already said elsewhere, a million or more other sites that will cater for that need.

Yes, Flirting is fun. God knows I'm guilty of it too, but there is a limit.

EDIT: again, Written before I had seen Flash's Reply. redface
EDITED_BY: Long_Time_Coming (1134607183)

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DrudwynForget puppy power, Scrappy's just gay
632 posts

Posted:
Blast... I wrote a post ages ago and then forgot to press reply. Oh well, we'll find more silliness to do elsewhere!
EDITED_BY: Drudwyn (1134607726)

Spin, bounce, be one with the world, because it is yours to enjoy...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ta! Thanks Flash!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

1,189 posts

Posted:
Written by: flash fire

I can't speak for Pele, who summarised the answer already (I thought), but consider it a pre-emptive strike.

You all knew the rules, and we gave you the chance to prove that you weren't going to break them with the threads in question. Why would the mods presume that a second chance wouldn't degenerate also? The rules were in place before the first 2 threads were created; members shouldn't have to be reminded how to behave.

What's the platitude? Once bitten, twice shy or something like that?

That seems unduly authoritarian. If people had slipped, been warned and then learned their lesson why should subsequent threads be deleted? Were the PG threads bordering into forbidden territory or was it simply an act of vindictiveness (which is the feeling I get from the whole situation at present)? I don't like to think that the mods on HOP would behave like that as it seems disrespectful to the other members.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
ditto

I understand why the old threads were deleted. I don't understand why the second ones were, because I had yet to see anything "smutty" or even borderline.

I'm still worried about the "authoritarian" answers that are coming out. I thought most people believed in second chances? Isn't that the basis of the Justice system?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Authoritarian. Are you guys calling me authoritarian?

Careful, or I'll ban you. wink

JOKING! IT WAS A JOKE!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Why are we having a discussion in chat?

confused

Does this mean I can go and discuss polar bears in poi moves?

Meh

1,189 posts

Posted:
With all due respect I feel that Pele's descision to delete the PG threads was wrong and unjustified. I don't think it was disrespectful to the Mods to restart the threads but I do think it was disrespectful to delete the new ones. Just like to lodge my disagreement.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
*sigh*

I'm going to have to agree with Jeff. Again.

This is becoming a habit... rolleyes

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:

With all due respect I feel that Pele's descision to delete the PG threads was wrong and unjustified. I don't think it was disrespectful to the Mods to restart the threads but I do think it was disrespectful to delete the new ones. Just like to lodge my disagreement.

Please contact site Admin to voice your complaint. They don't read every thread, and if you want the matter dealt with (as opposed to just vocalising your disagreement) then please use the correct channels & processes.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

1,189 posts

Posted:
I'd like to hear Pele's side of the story before doing something like that since I'm not privvy to the full details. Were the PG threads deleted simply on the basis that Pele thought that their resurrection was disrespectful to the mods (which I disagree with very strongly as a mod for a different forum myself) or was there actual prohibited material?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:

I'd like to hear Pele's side of the story before doing something like that since I'm not privvy to the full details. Were the PG threads deleted simply on the basis that Pele thought that their resurrection was disrespectful to the mods (which I disagree with very strongly as a mod for a different forum myself) or was there actual prohibited material?

Then you should PM her and ask.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I support the admins decision to delete the first threads... as they did decline and become smutty and distasteful.

HOWEVER, the new threads, which i started to participate in, mainly the gayfest, was smut free, and after the first warning, I'm guessing would have been kept smut free. I do not see why these were locked, as I was unaware that a thread for gay people should be censored? I was unaware that is was a crime or not for minors to view? I am disheartened that such a thread for gay people to converse is deemed for adults only...

I too shall be PMing pele to ask for the exact reasons for locking these threads

Anyway hug to all... lots of love etc ubblove biggrin

1,189 posts

Posted:
I've sent a PM to Pele asking her why they were deleted and explaining my view point. I think that this has (at least given the information at present) been a heavy handed and unneccacary approach to the reformed fest threads. I'll wait for Pele to reply before making any further comment.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
I personally don't see what the big drama is. The threads got deleted, to quote Metallica "so f#$@n what" If the people that posted & enjoyed the threads want it back so much to start one again why don't they just start their own site & bb - problem solved.
IMHO there's a time & a place for men kissing & it isn't on a poi site.

(No offence intended, I just agree with the mods on this one)

Are you up for it?
wink;)

Page: