Forums > Social Chat > Clarification on threads

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Not that I was actually a fan of the gayfest threads et all... but I was under the impression they were taken down because they were crossing the border of PG into something not PG.

So...
I'm interested to know why the new ones were taken down and given a harsh slap? Were they taken down for additional reasons then?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Asena,

Believe me. Homophobia is simply not done on HOP. This has been demonstrated repeatedly.

I disagreed with the removal of the new gay thread since it was nice to see gay spinners coming out on the boards and I hoped it would serve to let newcomers know that openly gay members are welcome here. I'll admit that. As I said in another thread, disagree though I may, I support the decisions that the mods/admins make and I don't feel that removing the thread is so detrimental or damaging to the board or the community that it warrants my leaving. Not even remotely close.

However, it never entered my mind for a second that the decision could have been in any way motivated by homophobia. I've been on this board for over four years now and I know Malcolm and the mods well. Homophobia is just so foreign to their nature that the idea is plainly absurd to me. They're great people and they wouldn't do that. hug ubblove

Normally, I'd be upset that anyone would even suggest it, but I guess that having dealt with a fair bit of homophobia in the real world, I understand how you might wonder. So let me just put those fears to rest. Whatever the issues may have been, homophobia wasn't part of it.

I also want to apologize to Pele for the misunderstanding in restarting the gayfest. I didn't mean any disrespect. I actually meant respect. I thought the issue had been the smut in the thread. Apparently the issue ran deeper and I misunderstood the reasoning. I'd never intentionally disrespect you, Pele, or any of the mods or admins. Torment maybe, but not disrespect. wink

Now, excuse me while I go back to poking the mods in the ribs and making obnoxious noises. wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
^^^ Thanks Malcolm & Lightning.

Homophobia is just sooooo not the issue/motivation/cause of anything around here. The pics in the original threads were inappropriate regardless of the genders displayed therein...

Anyway, if I see anyone here feeling like the victim of homophobia, I'll presume it's their own issue and not actually indicitive of moderator action... smile Sexuality is just not relevant nor does it result in bias either way...

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I knoooooooow the pics the in original threads were naughty! But the new threads were pic free polite chatty threads, well, were. Anyway, i give up! I'm just gonna have to except the fact that gayfest and straightfest are gone forever, along with the beloved "war". Ah well, I support the mods decision... as they no best *grumble*... But I dont have to like it ubbcrying

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
will you lot just get on with it.

this is a fire spinning sight "oh no my thread got deleted" is it really the end of the world is it.

The mods have been keeping us going for many many years now trust there judgment and get on with it if you disagree that much leave.

Sorry for sounding all grumpy but its only a few words what’s the stress.

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Light a match, start a fire.

Well its good to get people's views out on the open anyway. Thanks Malcolm for coming and talking to everyone. I remember many a search engine note form him in the past (that's where ice cream comes from) and let me tell you HoP is scarily high in google results! I've typed in the most random things and found posts I wrote on HoP in the top ten results... (not as useful as I'd like, since obviously I wanted to know *more*- but some food for thought!)

I suggest real time chat for some of this and pm's for some of this, and as for the rest- well- you can probably find a way to make a community on lj or myspace or something. You might or might not get doc lightning (bless, the boy is so busy!) but I imagine you could make a little HoP group.

Interesting lesson here as well- sometimes if you mess up you don't get a second chance. Lets all consider that - I know, this is in social chat, but serious things have come up in social chat before! If you knowingly push boundaries sometimes you don't get a chance to redeem yourself- this is, of course, a tiny infraction and lack of chance, but its a good lesson.

And Sethis at least has counselled to me a lack of giving people second chances after certain types of behaviour- where I could draw striking parrallel's I'm sure.

Anyway, thanks for coming out and talking. Never forget proper channels. I've had days where I've almost felt like a mod for the number of notify buttons I've clicked... This thread is only public because I expected (and was right) that other people would be curious as well, and have their own questions.

Cheers,
K

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
hug to all

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sure, pre-emptive is one way of putting it.

Disrespectful is my way of putting it.

A judgement was made and carried out, an accurate one that I will fully support Flash in.

If someone wants to appeal that, they have always been welcome to come to us and state thier case.

That did not happen.

What happened was...

"Oh, it got closed. I will *completely* ignore that the mods did not see this topic as suitable and I will start it again because I want to." Not that exact thought process, I am paraphrasing because I know Mike pretty well, and know he would never think like that hug , but that is the sentiment that was conveyed.

That is not, nor has it ever been, how HoP works.

When we close something down it is for a reason. It means the thread did not work. It is not an invitation to try again, unless you come to us and talk with us first, and we okay it with stipulations. If every thread we locked were to be restarted, it would be a nightmare.

To leave the restarted ones up, which btw, no I did not give them time to exsist enough to get a rating, is unfair to everyone else who has ever had something locked or removed and completely disrespectful and disregarding of the decisions of the mods.

That is why I closed them.

I don't give a crap what the topic was. If a thread exsisted on hair color that needed to be closed and someone started it right back up, I would remove that new one too.

Are we authoritarian? Sure. It's why we are here. It's our job. It's part of what makes HoP the pleasant place that it is. We've been at this awhile. We know the rules pretty well. In fact, we helped make them...therefore, we have a pretty good idea of what should and should not be allowed.

Based on that, I KNOW from a long history on HoP that such threads, despite requests to the contrary, tend to go downhill pretty fast. Why bother risking reprocussions?

I have received PM's stating that the threads were in place to discuss issues. No they weren't. I perused them. Issues go into the Social Discussion forum. Please, go start one now, and discuss gay/straight issues. Just enough with the orgy talk and pictures.

I have received PM's that it was a place to pick up people and flirt. If you want to pick up people and flirt to that extent...go to PM, chat or go to a more suitable bb for that.

I have been accused of being against homosexuals in a PM, and that HoP must not support them either. I am going to ask for a bit of logical thought here. If that was the case, the "new" straight thread would not have been closed. HoP, rather like myself, has no preference.

Beyond that, thank you Mike. I was pretty p.o.'d at being accused of being a homophobe, but then I thought "Hey, they don't know me. My intro is buried and people tend to make snap assumptions, whatever." I appreciate your words very much.

And for those who PM'd me about not responding immediately I would like to say, I do have a life off of HoP, which recently keeps me very busy. Please, patience, please. This is the first chance I have had to respond.

Malcolm, Flash...as always my love and respect to you both.

And by the way, I am not a hippy. In fact, I am not even remotely close. Sorry to disappoint. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
"I don't give a crap what the topic was"

well thats not very PG... ubblol

jks jks

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Asena

"I don't give a crap what the topic was"

well thats not very PG... ubblol

jks jks

In the US "crap" makes it into G and PG rated movies, so I'm good! wink tongue
(well, and some G movies are just crap!)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
G means guidance. NYC told me that smile

Over here it means general. Just thought i'd clarify for the hard of American wink

Meh

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
that'd be me then lol

its all sooo confusing

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Thank you for that clarification Pele, that's all I was really after. While I may disagree, I will do so in the privacy of my own head so HoP can get back to about as normal as it ever gets.

No worries, I'm not a hippy either... in fact they irritate me a bit! wink tongue

Take care guys, thanks for the clarification.

(And it's totally out of line that someone called Pele a homophobe, duh.)

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
confused
Thats a word that is pronounced the same, but spelt differently to another word isnt it?

wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

And for those who PM'd me about not responding immediately I would like to say, I do have a life off of HoP, which recently keeps me very busy. Please, patience, please. This is the first chance I have had to respond.

Life...outside of HOP?

What is this "outside" you speak of? wink ubblol

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Cool. smile So can we lock this now that the thread has served it's purpose, or is that likely to trigger an uproar resulting in at least two threads (one in Chat, and one in Discussion) on the subject of whether the mods had the right to undertake such actions....

/sarcastic yet humourous dig.

No? Good. I'm locking it.
EDITED_BY: flash fire (1134805261)

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Page: