Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Screwing Wicks Into Staff Problems!!

Login/Join to Participate

Strange By Namenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Hey
Ive been making staffs for a while now and each time when i get to the screwing the wicks into the holes of the pole into the wood part...i always seem to get into a mess with the wick...like the screws dont go into the wick well and always create a thread...

How to solve?

d-eyeGOLD Member
60 posts

Posted:
Use a nail to push a small hole through the wick to the hole in the metal. Pull it out and then place the tip of the screw into the small hole and screw it in.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
couldnt have put it better myself

"Don't do it naked!"

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I just put a bit of tapy around the wick and drill straight through tyhe wick and the pole at the same time...

Love is the law.

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
hit it with a hammer biggrin

seriously don't bother drilling hole then trying to find them through the wick, screw the screw into the wick (use the nail thing if you catch a thread) untill there abit of tension holding it in place, then hit it with a hammer repeatedly till it brake through enough to screw in. This has safed me load of time cos there's always one screw the won't find it's hole however well you mark it out.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Zauberdachsenthusiast
220 posts

Posted:
Use a different kind/quality of wick. This used to drive me crazy. I'd tape the wick on, make a hole with a bradall and then use a new drill bit; it would still mess up every other time.

Now I use the wick with more fibreglass (the difference is: less fibreglass equals more fluffy and thready) in it and it is so easy to drill that it takes me a few seconds, is perfect each time and now I don't even have to do the whole bradall/new drill bit thing anymore.

smile

The insults of your enemy are a tribute to your bravery wink

Strange By Namenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Nice One!! Thanks for the feedback....i will give it a try with your methods....hopefully i wont spend more than an hour on one wick...lol

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
I recommend taping the wick on the outside, and then SLOWLY with a handdrill, drilling the hole through the wick and then biting into the wood inside the aluminium.

Then use a power drill (or strong arms and wrists) to screw a selftapping screw in...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Strange By Namenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Wow....I made around six staffs alltogether and this one has got to be the neatest best staff ive made..

Using an elasticband to hold the wick in place i used a hammer and a thin nail to make the holes for the screws......WORKS LIKE A CHARM! Saved me alot of time...and had no stress smile

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I make about five differing types of fire staff, wick attachment, make sure wick is wound tight and well secured, I've been using electrical tape for this, pulled around the kevlar tight, to the point of stretching.

Holes are then punched through to the metal-work and then hand drilled and secured with spax 'hardened' screws, one at a time. I've found certain screw types are more prone to catching threads, hence changing to spax, I think the most useful addition though is a small amount of light oil run into each hole prior to screw installation.

mark

SurlochSILVER Member
64 posts

Posted:
I find I don't have much trouble if I use a ruler, measure where the holes are then wrap the wick. Can usually just get the screw into the hole by hand to get it through the wick before needing to tighten with the screwdriver. I've never had any problems with it catching the threads - might just be the screws used, they have a fairly wide thread on them.

Ní mar a síltear a bítear

“Things may not be as they seem to be”

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Try using self tappeing screws and a cordless drill.

smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Strange By Namenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Yep...i use self tapping screws...i screw the screws in the wick without using a drill, the only time i use the drill is to make the holes in the pole befor the wicks go on.