Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Can anyone give me some advice on some behind the back weaves?

Login/Join to Participate

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
The problem is i got pretty major love handles. so i can't cross my arms enough. anytips?

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Should'nt be a problem. I'd say start with having your planes in more of a V shape rather than paralell. I'd also suggest starting with your poi spinning backwards.

And after that the only advice i have is practice, practice, practice. And when you get board of that browse the forum, there are loads of wise words out there just waiting to be read.

Gluck biggrin

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ditto
P.S check the 'helpful advice threads' thread at the top of the forum smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Major love handles, now there's honesty for you smile Along with what Mot said, the best advice I ever read on getting this move was to move forward using tiny steps.

When your poi go over to your left side, take a small step forward with your left foot, when they switch to the right, you get the idea. It may help to pretend your clenching a dime between the cheeks of your butt , just as an aid to keeping it out of the way.

This is how I learned it, and I managed to drop the constipated mincing thing a few days later but it stll feels like a move that I have to force at times.
good luck

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
say hello to brused ankles and the back of your head might get a bit sore, but yeah try and angle your planes and practice sticking your arm right across your back, try holding your elbow on the opposite side behind your back

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I could be cheeky and say lose weight but that wouldnt be very nice of me wink

5 months trying the btb weave and i still clout myself in the ear or eye.

Is there hope? who knows! stay tuned....

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Practise first single hand motions, to clear your planes. Than put your hands together and spin with them together in parallel time. Than try slowly to split your sinchronized hand timing. Than you'll be very close to Figure 8 behind the back(BTB) than is the beginning for BTB Weave.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
i'll give you the advice i give everyone about this. And so far its worked for anyone i've shown/told. practice the move one handed with poi to get planes down (like Richee said). but getting the 2 handed part is hard to people, so go get/buy/find TWO dowelrods/cardboard tubes/sticks and practice the motion with THOSE. this will help avoid all the nasty bruises a bit and also allow you to drill the movements into your muscle memory. Just be sure and use yours wrists. This also will allow you to see WHERE you are screwing up the planes and make sure your hands are where they need to be.

The hardest part (in my opinion) is getting the motions down, at first they seem somewhat counter intuitive to most people, but practice with the sticks and you will get it. And the other thing is the arm stretching. It REALLY helps to do a good arm warmup first to get your shoulders and upper arms used to stretching that far around. Be ready for soreness when you first really start learning it.

also it helps when learning to bend forward a bit so as to give your poi/sticks more room to spin without your head in the way. However once learned, the leaning is not necessary at all, provided you can stretch your arms well.

hope it helps, let us know how it goes. If ya can't get it, fly to Charlotte NC and i'll demonstrate for ya lol ;-)

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
I cannot visiualise my hand movements without poi's in them. sounds strange i know. but when i first tried out the normal weave. it was suggested to have one empty hand. i couldn't do it for aslong as i tried. but within 10 minutes of practising with 2 poi's then i kinda got it, with sore ears and all.

anyway. i'll try out all of this once i'm out of college. by the way, double poi weave looks very cool with sock pois. it has the slight movement of double staffs. can't wait to try it out on fire pois.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

SLCpoiSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
I've been trying this move for the past day. And I can't seem to do it because my ass is too big. I have come pretty far in the last day. I can do 1 rotation on each side, but it seems hopeless beyond that. And insanly frustrating.

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
Written by: SLCpoi

I've been trying this move for the past day. And I can't seem to do it because my ass is too big. I have come pretty far in the last day. I can do 1 rotation on each side, but it seems hopeless beyond that. And insanly frustrating.

if you think it's frustrating now, wait till it you get it in a few months, but it takes you a over a year to learn it forward. ubbloco

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
I wouldnt lean forward.. that is such a misleadingin description that derves to hurt people.. why? because you need as much of your arms as possible, especially in the beginning..

when you work btb you want to lean away.. this isnt really the same.. the reason being that its a WHOLE lot easier when you are weaving the lean to the left and look right.. this helps you get the right side btb because you look and feel like its up front.. almost liek doing it wall plane.. and by leaning to the left you dip your left shoulder down, whihc makkes it easier to reach right..

then when its one the left side you lean right and look left.. and you really just have to flip between these two stances.. this makes the most of what you ahve until you get stretched out enough to do it on cleanly.. plus you really don't have to worry so much about getting past your bum, because as you flip between the two sides, you can swing wide.. and its not a problem..

plus it helps to use longer strings than normal.. the hand motion and timing is the same, but since the diameter of the circle is larger it will spin slower, and let you bring it out wider..

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I had a miracle fix on the BTB weave that was really troubling me.

If you look straight ahead at a mirror while doing the weave, you need to see your hands peek out the opposite side of your hips.

That is, your right hand needs to go outside your left hip and your left hand needs to go outside your right hip. I wasn't doing that with my left arm so I kept screwing up on my right side.

Sorry if I didn't explain very well.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

SLCpoiSILVER Member
11 posts

Posted:
I've been constantly conditioning my shoulders and stretching them as much as possible, it does seem to have an effect.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I tried this a while ago & gave up, just nailed it today biggrin

I was trying to do a btb weave with the poi rotating forwards, which is much more difficult, so make sure you start with them going backwards. As soon as they go behind your back, put them on opposite sides & lean to one side, then bring the other poi across to the other side & start the weave (lifting one arm over the other). It feels like a scooping motion.

Hairy TaitBRONZE Member
109 posts

Posted:
The HOP free lessons are excellent....that's how i learned... that and lots of hitting myself in the face/back of the head.......

Click Here

It's a very interesting story, Future Boy....!