Page: ...
pre1236member
33 posts

Posted:
answer to me personally I think people confuse the two and think everyone who juggles is either training to be in the circus looking for a job in the circus or is in the circus someone asked me that this summer I turned and walked away my highschool senior project is going to educate people on juggling circuses skill and those who prefore acts based upon minimal skill even if the audiance is one of them and I hope that they will obtain knowledge and appreciation for true technical juggling and not bnch all juggling into the same difficulty level as one bozo the clown

(jason said alot of this I must give him credit for most of what is written here)

EDITED_BY: pre1236 (1134272677)

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: pre1236

(jason said alot of this I must give him credit for most of what is written here)

That would explain all the grammatical errors then.

Dude, you really need to punctuate your sentences. With some commas, and maybe some full stops every now and again.

But i have no idea why people confuse juggling with circuses. It really redface me too. i think it's up to us to go out and educate people wink

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I want to juggle on the moon, that'd be fun.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"Dude, you really need to punctuate your sentences. With some commas, and maybe some full stops every now and again."

*gets on his hands and knees and begs*

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Didn't you guys realise it was all one sentence, said very quickly and without pausing or stress...

Sheesh! rolleyes

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
do you think I care, honestly I did that when I was tired and wasn't too concerned. but jason garfield is the man and hates circuses as much as I do, and agrees most people think everyone who juggles is a clown or in the circus. If and when I start preforming I will hmake my audiances aware of that and not only give juggle for them but educate them on true technical juggling and [hack act havens(I stole this one from jason)]

steve dbBRONZE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Written by: pre1236

someone asked me that this summer I turned and walked away my highschool senior project is going to educate people on juggling circuses skill

did turning and walking away help to educate them?

how can you hate all circuses? there are so many different types of circuses, and lots of very good juggling in circuses.

i'm a recovering technical juggler who has realised that my path involves clowning and quite possibly the circus - hopefully performing routines based upon a minimal technical level. do you hate me then? ubbrollsmile

oh ... and you do realise that you've stumbled onto a poi site. i don't think your hero wold be very impressed with you if he knew you were here.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: pre

do you think I care,

Maybe you should care.

After all, if you can't be bothered to type out your opinions in a way that's well presented and easy to read, why should anyone bother spending the time to read them?
If you don't consider your thoughts to be worth typing out properly, why should we consider them to be worth reading?

Really, it's just large amounts of inexcusable laziness on your part.

As to circuses, I kind of agree - I get alot of people assuming that I'm going to be running off to join a circus.
I don't let it bother me, I usually take it as a compliment that they (quite mistakenly) consider me skilled enough to perform for a circus smile

I admit that I do get very annoyed when people expect balloon sculpters to be dressed as clowns though - I've spent alot of time and effort trying to break people of those thoughts and consider skilled balloon sculters as artists in their own right.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
OKAY first off and if your not ging to say something helpful that don't talk. dont just poison a topic just because you don't like someones opinion. I'm not a fan of diabolos, devilsticks, contact, but do you see me posting in those forums about how I dont care and I never quote something from someone in which they never said. your not helping this topic and you should learn to just stay out of things you dont care about. Although if you really didn't care than you wouldn't have made a post in the topic. I think people get the Idea of my oppinion so you dont need to be such a pessimist. If you dont think my oppinion was made clearl enough in the first post here it is reformatted.

I've been working on 5 balls and rings for 8 months and my goal is for no one to ask me if Im ever going to join a circus.

I don't juggle because I want to be a clown.

I don't juggle because I want to be in the circus.

I don't work in the circus People confuse the two and bunc anykid of juggling into the same difficulty level as one BOZO the clown.

all I want to do is for people to see juggling the way I do and the next time they see someon juggling knives, or juggling while eating an apple, they will ask them if it is more difficult than juggling 5,or 6 balls and their answer will consistently be a resounding ''uhh no".

this is how I want people to see juggling the way I do for Im sure they've never seen it done this way before. and expose them to all these hack who say they are doing difficult or dangerous tricks are essentially preforming tricks which are no more difficult ore danderous than being spoon fed mashed potato's

(once again giving credit to jason garfield AKA the man)
EDITED_BY: pre (1138551364)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
umm

i juggle, in what you could call a circus.(ubblol)

i now finish with 7balls, and am working on a 4 and 5 club routine(admittedly the five clubs is just a run, usually to about 15 catches, but it's improving)

i feel somewhat insulted. Not by JG, cause i know he is at least somewhat taking the piss.

ah well.

each to their own.
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
OKAY first off - If I was trying to poison this topic, I'd have finished my post with 'Really, it's just large amounts of inexcusable laziness on your part.'
I was really just having a go at you with the first part of my post, then moving onto the topic in hand with the second part.
By the way - if you're going to rant at me for asking you to present your thoughts in an easier to read format, it'd be great if your rant was easy to read. See my post above for reasons why.

OKAY second off - the text I quoted was written by yourself - don't try to say otherwise.

OKAY third off - when did I ever say that I didn't care about the topic?

I was actually adding to the thread by partially agreeing with you - I don't juggle because I want to be in a circus and I don't juggle because I want to be a clown.
I do however, recognise that being a good performer isn't purely down to technical skill - I might be able to juggle technically better than a clown, but I'm damned sure that they're better showmen than I am.

Also, for many people, jugglers at a circus are the most proficient jugglers they've seen - I try to take being compared to one as a compliment rather than an insult.

In addition, I also pointed out that it's not just jugglers that get grouped in with circus type things - balloon sculpters also get sterotyped as clowns. Somehow, that annoys me more than being called a clown when I'm juggling.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
As a juggler and a unicyclist (who rides in public, purely cos I like unicycling)- weighing up which of the two is most misunderstood by the public in terms of erroneous circus/clown associations- i've got to say that it's worse where unicycling is concerned smile

Nevertheless, like the majority of jugglers/spinners, I juggle/spin because I like it, and because I Iike putting in the effort and improving- I do not juggle/spin to entertain others.

And it is a shame that the public have this blinkered view of arts/skills like spinning/juggling/unicycling, and assume that we all practise these things to entertain audiences.

I've put a fair bit of effort into doing what I can to clear up some of the erroneous ideas about unicycles being clowning/circus/entertainment, and, my opinion is that the best way to do so is by clear, consise, reasoned debate, and, at all costs, avoid rants.

Pre-

educating people and clearing up misconceptions is a good aim. To do so it's important that you don't get too bogged down by the fact that you may be right, and that you have a valid view- far more important is that it's effectively communicated to them.

Few things make people switch off more than angry ranting, and, as several have already pointed out, if you neglect to present your info/views in a readily readable/understandable way; then many will not put in the effort necessary to read/understand it.

Few will want to listen to someone who appears to have a chip on his/her shoulder, yet, if instead, that person comes across as calm, clear, and consise, then his/her points are far more likely to get taken on board.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Miranda (mewcat)BRONZE Member
queen of all the hipsters
150 posts

Posted:

The secret is to be as hopeless as me then no-one could possibly mistake you for a circus escapee. I would be so flattered if someone asked me if I was from the circus that I’d probably burst into tears of gratitude.

I don’t want to “poison the thread”, but I have to agree with bovrilmonkey and onewheeldave and say that it’s an unfortunate truth that most people are too busy to read something several times to work out the meaning. If it’s not clear the first time, sadly it probably won’t get read, unless you happen to be Salman Rushdie in which case you can probably get away with it (I had to re-read bits of “Midnight’s Children” a shaming number of times before I was even semi-convinced I’d half-understood). As a lawyer, most of my time is spent working out how to say things in a way that they can be understood first time and with no room for confusion or misreading – the world is a difficult and confusing enough place anyway without adding to it!

to live at all is miracle enough

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Written by: onewheeldave

Few things make people switch off more than angry ranting, and, as several have already pointed out, if you neglect to present your info/views in a readily readable/understandable way; then many will not put in the effort necessary to read/understand it.

Few will want to listen to someone who appears to have a chip on his/her shoulder, yet, if instead, that person comes across as calm, clear, and consise, then his/her points are far more likely to get taken on board.

clap clap Well said smile

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

150 posts

Posted:
Exactly! Aggression tends to be met with either more aggression or contempt. I have a really bad habit of just thinking “asshat” and automatically dismissing the opinion of someone who presents their views in an overly belligerent way, which probably means I miss out on some great ideas which I’d have taken on board if they’d been presented to me in a different way. This is probably as much my problem as the aggressor’s, but I still don’t think hostility is a good way to get your views across effectively.

Anyway, enough digression – back to circuses. I love circuses. Anyone gotta problem with that? Huh? Huh?
wink wink

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
last circus I saw the juggler did five foot balls, 5c 5 up pirotte and finished with seven clubs. umm

pre how many circus have you seen or are you just taking the general stereotype of circuses. If that's the case your just as guilty as the people who think that you what to become the stereotypical clown.

also in defense of the clown living next to circusmedia I've come realization that clowns don't have to throw pies at each other and juggle three balls badly (some do and i've got no time for them) but proper clowning is an art and when it's done well it's some of the best entertainment around, quite often incorporating stupid amounts of technical skill.

So basically if you don't want to be stereotyped then don't stereotype circuses or clowns.

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
well said.

From the mind of a partially 'corny' (knife juggling, giraffe riding, hat-spinning) street-style performer I would like to point out that a load of us are actually trying to make a living off the strength of the general public's assumption that the knives are sharp and the giraffe is immensely harder and more dangerous to ride. So informing them that it is infact easier than juggling 7 nice soft balls (which most of us know it isn't) wouldn't automatically make everything alright.

I think that although, as technical jugglers/spinners/balloon scultures, we would all love it if the general public appreciated juggling for what it is, we do need to remember that throughout juggling history, it has been a form of visual entertainment just as much as a form of self-satisfaction, therefor should carry on entertaining people in any way it can. Whether that would be by someone impressing an audience of fellow jugglers with a five-club mills, or whether it is an amatuer street performer convincing their audience that their fire clubs are so hot that they would set fire to the pavement if you dropped one.

I admit, it does annoy the hell out of me when I'm at the skate park and some cocky skater kid asks me if I'm a clown, and I ask him if he thinks a clown can drop in to a 6ft quarter on a unicycle. And I do think it would be great if mr and mrs general public would be happier watching me do a 2diabolo hyperloop instead of chucking 1diabolo as high as I can. But I don't think it is such a great problem that someone needs to go out of their way to sort it out.

T&B: "So basically if you don't want to be stereotyped then don't stereotype circuses or clowns."

Couldn't agree more . . .

Jake the Juggler

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Okay thank you, I appreciate this post
Im not saying that clowns are bad showman typically just bad at juggling

next off I'd like to add I am into educating people on true technical juggling and the difference between that and Hack acts

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
NO my goal in juggling is to educate people so when they see someone juggling fire, knives, eating apples, riding unicycles, they'd ask if they can do 3 club reverse backcrosses or a 5club 5 up 360. See I just want people to know what skill is and to not confuse it with hack acts. I plan to soon hopefully juggle fire. but I will alert my audiances that yes it is more sightly and seems more danderous but in reality it is not. Im not saying that their are no good clowns or circus preformers. If I said there were no good clowns IDK I might be telling the truth If. If said there were no good circus preformers I'd be lying Because there are people like Sergey Ignatov Jr. and his whole families he is a 4th generation. Now Its harder to find good skill at a circus that at the IJA or WJF but I never said there was no skill at all in circus's. IM not sure if someone can tell me if Anthony gatto is in the circus I thought he was but I could be mistaken please if no one will murder me but politely tell me.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
There's two kinds of acts (at the risk of being overly simplistic smile )-

1. one's that appeal to the general public and which involve technically simple stuff like juggling fire/knives, riding giraffe unis, eating the apple etc

2. highly technical stuff like numbers juggling and advanced stuff with backcrosses etc

Both have their place- most of the public can't really appreciate 2, without themselves getting into actually learning the skills.

Personally, i'm not particularly bothered by watching either- for me, juggling is a personal thing based on learning the skills, and nothing to do with entertainment; if all juggling based entertainment ceased, and all circuses and shows stopped, it wouldn't affect my dedication to juggling in the slightest.

However, I accept that, for many, the entertainment aspects are appreciated, and that's fine by me.

But, when it comes to the two types of show mentioned above, i don't see it as 'either/or'- both are, IMO equally valid.

Jugglers tend to like type 2, non-jugglers tend to like 1.

A few performers, like Garfield, do manage to entertain non-juggling audiences with highly technical juggling. However it's worth noting that his shows consist of two elements- advanced technical skill, and the ability to perform and communicate well with a non-technical audience.

And, despite his great technical ability, it is actually his ability to perform/communicate which makes him successful. There are many jugglers who are just as proficent technically, who would be hopeless at performing.

The public, as a rule, not only lack the appreciation that a seven ball cascade is immensely more skillful than juggling fire on a 6 foot giraffe, but simply have no interest whatsoever in watching a purely technical act, unless it also contains a substantial performance/entertment element as well.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
*yawn*

pre - i see you haven't widened your view at all since your last rant setting out your massively skewed view of juggling and the circus arts.

i'm sorry if this seems judgemental but you seem to have formed your opinions simply by paraphrasing jason garfield's website and have subsequently taken no time to check that your opinions are reasonable or even valid.

in an attempt to see things from your point of view, can you give us a name as an example of one of these 'hack' performers as you see them?

you have only ever mentioned bozo the clown (although i doubt you have ever seen one of his acts) but can we take it that it is only auguste clowns you are prejudiced against?

what about character or new vaudeville clowns - do you hate them too?

what is your opinion of the flying karazamov brothers for example (they are a juggling clown act if you've never heard of them)?

i agree that technical skill is great, but in a show it is a very small part of what is required to entertain an audience.

how many circus juggling acts have you been to see recently?

i guarantee that for every international circus troupe you can name that employs what you refer to as a 'hack act', i can name one that employs at least one juggler of a high technical ability.

imo, you are a hippocrite - you have made judgements based on very little information or experience and then condemn those that do it to you.

it would be lovely if everyone in the world understood how hard 3 club reverse backcrosses are but even if they did, what is there to say that they would care?

i know how much time and effort it takes to become a top class table tennis player and how hard it is to play the game at that level, but does that make me want to watch it any more?

NOPE - even though i have a good idea of the difficulty, i don't care how hard it is to do and would much rather watch my friends playing ping pong after a few beers on a friday night smile

and to answer your question, gatto is not in a circus.

by simply checking his website you can see that he performs in a variety show in las vegas.

gatto is possibly the epitome of what you think should be the standard - he performs a show that has little else other than extremely high level of technical juggling - possibly the highest of any show performed on a regular basis in the world.

yet you seem to dismiss him as another part of the problem, purely on the grounds of 'sequins' rolleyes

cole. x

juggle going back to 4 balls or less juggle

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

JtJCheck ya later
500 posts

Posted:
nice one, cole.

pre: "I plan to soon hopefully juggle fire. but I will alert my audiances that yes it is more sightly and seems more danderous but in reality it is not."

I have been performing with and without fire for about 4 years, and, imo, to inform your audience that what you are doing is infact easier than it seems is possibly the most ilogical performance tactic I have ever heard of!

Plus, on a health and safety side of things, is it really a good idea to tell an audience (possibly of children) that throwing fire around "seems more dangerous but in reality is not". It occurs to me that if your aim is to educate people on circus skills and juggling, you should run workshops on it, wherein you could make sure you explain why fire isn't so dangerous and go into detail more. But then you're back to the problem of informing the general public and not just people who enrol for your workshop.

Jake the Juggler

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
whatever These people do lack skill and can barely juggle at all for that matter. And I think you are in serious need of a dictionary for chanukah or christmas. You need to no what a hypocrite is and how to spell it hypocrite: a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold. And I never made any assumptions I just said that people confuse circus' and juggling which is 100% true. You have no Idea how many people tell me I should get a job in the circus or if I'm with the circus. and with bozo the clown you get the idea of a clown dressed in white makeup wearing big shoes and a red nose and maybe juggling alittle. I have apreciation of true technical juggling and contempt for those who preform acts based on minimal skill.

and JTJ fire is no more difficult or danderous than clubs just more sightly. it is the same level of difficulty as clubs are. I would just do it so I can juggle at night time and that fire is the best thing ever created. I was at a party with my friends we has a brush fire. So my friend whos hosting it goes and grabs the tank of gasoline and throws it on the fire. Yes I know I know not the smartest thing but pretty funny and cool at the same time. especially 10 minutes later when he ran through it
EDITED_BY: pre (1134477308)

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:

You need to no what a hypocrite is and how to spell it hypocrite...

if you can't spell "have" right you don't much grounds to have a go at anyone for spelling

Written by:

You nave no Idea how many people tell me I should get a job in the circus or if I'm with the circus.

No your right no one as any idea what your going through you poor poor thing rolleyes

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
well on an american key bored the N key is right below the H key

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
And no is actually spelt 'know' in that context.

Appreciation has two 'p's.

Preform? I suggest 'perform'

Danderous? Perhaps 'dangerous'?

Sorry, just thought I'd mention it.

Incidentally, judging by your last paragraph containing the highly amusing exploding gas tank story, I suspect you could be someone who needs lots of attention and is manifesting that through this ridiculous argument.

Bye

wave

Getting to the other side smile

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

I have apreciation of true technical juggling and contempt for those who preform acts based on minimal skill.

Any idea why you have contempt for those who's acts don't use high technical skill levels?

Basically, they are just people whose skills (and holding the attention of an audience and entertaining them is a skill that requires either great innate ability, or a lot of dedicated practice) are better suited to entertaining than technical juggling.

Like i said before, I'm not particularly interested in watching such shows, but I see not reason to critisise those performers who cater to the demand for them.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

150 posts

Posted:
Written by: JtJ

Plus, on a health and safety side of things, is it really a good idea to tell an audience (possibly of children) that throwing fire around "seems more dangerous but in reality is not".

This is an excellent and very serious point. This website does so much to encourage awareness of fire safety that I think it would be a shame if someone who had had any contact with it decided to go out in the world and preach a message that playing with fire is no more risky than playing with a ball.

There is no escaping the fact that fire can be dangerous, especially (although not exclusively) for children. I don’t think that informing an audience (which, as JtJ points out, could well include children) that throwing fire around is no more dangerous than juggling beanbags. This could even land you in a distinctly dubious legal situation if a child, or even an adult, caused themselves harm after being informed by an adult (presuming that pre is an adult) that juggling fire is just as safe as juggling balls.

You have no Idea how many people tell me I should get a job in the circus or if I'm with the circus.

As T&B said, this must be a terribly heavy cross to bear. Take it as the compliment it’s presumably intended as! I particularly like the capitalisation of “Idea”. Quite delightfully Dickensian. I’m also very taken with the word “danderous”, which sounds adorably foppish, as in “What a spiffingly danderous hat, old boy! Will you be wearing it to lady Gwendolyn’s soirée tonight?” I’m going to try to introduce it into my vocabulary.

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Ok, that was a typo, how about spelling 'know' without the k or the w? Or spelling 'keyboard' as 'keybored'?

Anyway, enough of that.. I'm interested more in definitions of a hack juggler.
On the site you linked to earlier, a juggler is a hack if he's juggling while eating an apple - how about if he's juggling 3 balls in one hand while eating an apple with the other?

Also, apparently, 'Most hack jugglers juggle no more than 5 balls and 4 clubs.'
Where is it written that to be a good juggler you have to juggle lots of objects?
Surely numbers juggling is just one aspect of juggling - someone who juggles a maximum of 3 balls but can do incredably complicated patterns with them is at least of an equal skill to someone who juggles 6 balls, but only ever in one pattern?

To be honest, I think juggling higher numbers of objects is pandering to the audience to some degree - because most people assume that more objects == phenomenal increases in skill, in the same way that they assume fire == phenomenal amounts of danger.
Personally, I'd prefer to watch someone perform an interesting and varied 5 ball routine than someone perform a 7 ball routine that consists of a couple of patterns.
Apparently, the first juggler would be a hack - I say they neither of them are, but where's the line drawn?

150 posts

Posted:
I'd just like to clarify that I really do like the word "danderous", I wasn't just being flip. I think a rather fantastic new word has just been invented, albeit accidently. Isn't there some quote about all the best inventions being made by mistake?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
offtopic

I agree.

Perhaps a person who is prone to dandering could be described as danderous.

(sorry, I'm not intending to be bitchy... I agree with miranda on this)

Back to the much more important argument of 'is someone who can make their audience smile through their presence and performance less important than someone who can make an audience smile through the skills they learned while practicing lots in their bedroom'.

Getting to the other side smile

Page: ...