Page: ...
pre1236member
33 posts

Posted:
answer to me personally I think people confuse the two and think everyone who juggles is either training to be in the circus looking for a job in the circus or is in the circus someone asked me that this summer I turned and walked away my highschool senior project is going to educate people on juggling circuses skill and those who prefore acts based upon minimal skill even if the audiance is one of them and I hope that they will obtain knowledge and appreciation for true technical juggling and not bnch all juggling into the same difficulty level as one bozo the clown

(jason said alot of this I must give him credit for most of what is written here)

EDITED_BY: pre1236 (1134272677)

MissEgyptologyBRONZE Member
officially expelled from BYU
195 posts

Posted:
I used to be in a circus and that's where I learned to juggle...

though I'm not in a circus now. Most people think the unicycling belogns in the circus more than the juggling. Sigh, some people just will never understand.

"So Miss, I think you win the prize... A mormon egyptologist in a firespinning chat room... that's gotta be a record of some kind"
-NYC

Thanks, NYC,but I quit mormonism now XD

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
I know some people are just too lazy and to take the time to stop and think that maybe not everyone is in the circus or a clown maybe some people are good enough to use it as alittle cardio exercise and have good cordination.

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
My only comment on this thread is to try to be careful of assumptions and standard questions or any sort. For instace, anyone who gets mad about people asking if they're in the circus should take extra care not to walk up to a yo-yo player and ask them "Can you walk the dog????". wink Especially if the player has a $100+ aluminum model and is standing on concrete, but also in any other case.. :P

But as with anything, deal with people more on their tone of voice than on what they are saying per se. If someone is genuinely excited about what you're doing and paying you a compliment, treat it as such and inform them as an aside. If someone is insulting you, either ignore them or turn it around on them (and maybe inform them as a part of that).

But as for annoying things like this, it is a lot like how people get fed up of new people always asking the same stuff on message boards or news groups. It is just one of those things that you have to get used to and deal with in reasonable ways (like making a FAQ that you can point people to) instead of letting it drive you crazy.

Shawn

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: ShawnF

But as with anything, deal with people more on their tone of voice than on what they are saying per se. If someone is genuinely excited about what you're doing and paying you a compliment, treat it as such and inform them as an aside. If someone is insulting you, either ignore them or turn it around on them (and maybe inform them as a part of that).

meditate

superb advice smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Written by: ShawnF

But as for annoying things like this, it is a lot like how people get fed up of new people always asking the same stuff on message boards or news groups. It is just one of those things that you have to get used to and deal with in reasonable ways (like making a FAQ that you can point people to) instead of letting it drive you crazy.

Shawn

And same with this in everyday life I've officially decided that a certain person is no longer a human being for everyones sake if I listed everything I dont like about him you'd be sitting at your computer for easilly 20 minutes reading this one post

When I juggle after school theres some annoying football players who bang on the glass above the gym and tell me to juggle rings. since they have done this I have stopped bringing rings with me to juggle after school. If they were in my position they would do the same thing and I could always tell there weight lifting instructer to keep them out of the hall but I think by not doing what they want me to do is a better response.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pre

since they have done this I have stopped bringing rings with me to juggle after school.

Wuss. wink hug2

Give the people what they want!
I can lend you a red nose if you want one wink

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
okay first of all

Its my time I do as I want during my practice sessions I work on what I want when I want no one will interfere with my sessions

a simple cause and effect

Cause: people harrasing me to juggle rings

Effect: I stop bringing rings to school

simple as that

and about the clown nose-well you should know better than to talk to me about clowns

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pre hun, lighten up. Jon was just joking. Its what mated do, joke about with each other. hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Written by: pre

simple as that

So, if people were shouting at you to just juggle without specifying, you'd leave all of your juggling stuff at home?
How about if they shouted "don't juggle rings"? Would you start taking your rings to school just to spite them?

Maybe they just really liked watching you juggle rings? Now instead of getting a reputation as a cool juggler, perhaps you're getting a reputation of a snooty juggler who thinks he's above everyone and deliberately ignores people.

I get the impression from some of your posts that you aspire to be a good performance juggler - if that's the case then you're going to have to learn to take heckling, you might as well start now, otherwise you're going to be screwed someone in the audience starts shouting proper heckles at you, rather than just wanting to see you juggle a specific prop.

Also - can you check that you've got images enabled in your internet browser for me? Next time you see smile wink tongue ubbloco or any of the other range of graemlins, take the comments as a joke instead of flying off the handle again - that's what they're there for.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

simple as that

So, if people were shouting at you to just juggle without specifying, you'd leave all of your juggling stuff at home?

How about if they shouted "don't juggle rings"? Would you start taking your rings to school just to spite them?

Maybe they just really liked watching you juggle rings? Now instead of getting a reputation as a cool juggler, perhaps you're getting a reputation of a snooty juggler who thinks he's above everyone and deliberately ignores people.

I get the impression from some of your posts that you aspire to be a good performance juggler - if that's the case then you're going to have to learn to take heckling, you might as well start now, otherwise you're going to be screwed someone in the audience starts shouting proper heckles at you, rather than just wanting to see you juggle a specific prop.

Also - can you check that you've got images enabled in your internet browser for me? Next time you see smile wink tongue ubbloco or any of the other range of graemlins, take the comments as a joke instead of flying off the handle again - that's what they're there for.

Okay to start I am going to respond to this post as nicely as I can but It won't be too easy but I'm going to try

First off Yes I do aspire to be a great preforming juggler as well Competing in the WJF competitions

next off I would like to add is about the rings issue I really could careless what people think of me wheter or not I'm cool or in your terms "snooty" when I feel like juggling clubs I'll juggle clubs when I want to rings i'll do rings when I want to do ball I'll juggle balls. People are not going to dictate what I juggle.

and more on the matter of being cool I quite personally couldn't care less about what people think negatively of my juggling even in some cases positively as it is in this case altough it has gone alittle bit beyond just positive.

To Quote an FAQ by jason garfield

When you were very young, did your friends understand what was juggling or did they think that you were training to be a clown or something?

Only my friends understood because they were the only ones I wasted my time explaining it to. Everybody else thought differently and could have kissed my censored in the process.

This is kind of how I feel and its different that being infront of a paying audiance

If they want to see what they want than by all means I'd be more than happy to take any money but there not for now so they're going by my watch and my watch doesn't say to juggle rings

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
"People are not going to dictate what I juggle"

but they already are you now dont do rings at school?????

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
thats more so because I want to practice balls and clubs more I feel that clubs is the main area in which I lack somewhat with my inability to do a 5 decent 5 club cascade or 3 club backcrosses although I work alot with flats which I really enjoy watching and preforming my absolute favorite 5 club pattern is flats and 3 club reverse backcrosses so people aren't dictating me I'm just making a desion based upon what I need to work on

jugglin pattern: just so theres no confusion is a trick which can be continuously done and both hands are making identical throws throughout the entire duration.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Pre how come you never join us in the positive forums about what we all learnt today?

What kind of level are you at dude?

juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle juggle

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*Cue a lengthy post that dances nimbly round the answer almost as much as his nimble fingers do across the keyboard*

wink

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Pre, that really doesn't answer the questions I asked - I didn't ask for a quote from Jason Garfield on an unrelated topic.
On a slightly different note - is someone who considers explaining things to his friends to be a waste of time really a good role model?

This is kind of how I feel and its different that being infront of a paying audiance

True, but as I said - you're going to need all the practise of how to treat hecklers that you can get, wouldn't it make more sense to see it as an opportunity to learn something, rather than be spiteful and refuse any requests?

thats more so because I want to practice balls and clubs more

So, more than simple cause and effect then?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Okay let me clear this up for everyone who may have some confusion

There not as much requesting as they are harassing me so if someone harasses you do something than typically you don't do it for the purpose of annoying them and they stop asking

and to answer the question of what level i'm at I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this I haven't been juggling very long so that is somewhat of an explanation for my lack of ability yet I am very determined I regularly practice around 3 hours a day around 1 1/2 right after school and the same when I get home except on the days which I have other comitments

for all of you out there a little timeline I learned to juggle about 3 years ago when I was bored one morning and decided to teach myself to juggle after witnessing the WJF championships I felt this is something I could be good that was about a year ago so I 've been juggling about 11 months to a year

I would like to provide you with a short clip of four club flats which I taped In my living room

Click here to view it

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
no comment lol

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:

There not as much requesting as they are harassing me so if someone harasses you do something than typically you don't do it for the purpose of annoying them and they stop asking

Yeah, keep doing that if you want them to pick up on how much it annoys you, then they'll probably just keep on with the harassing. There are better ways to work out stuff like that.

I would like to provide you with a short clip of four club flats which I taped In my living room

Well, you're certainly a lot better than I am at juggling clubs - I can barely keep a 3 club cascade going most of the time. Oh for a life at school with plenty of time again wink

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:

hey pre,

i'd agree with you that ignoring them is a pretty good reaction to their taunts.

let them go throw their one, badly shaped ball around to each other and slap each others asses whilst strictly adhering to the jock code of heavily laden hetero-macho bullsh!t wink

if any of them show an actual interest (i.e. talk to you about juggling at times other than when you're trying to practice), i think you should give them a chance, but if they're just about shouting at you while you're practicing, simply consider them non-existant.

cole. x

p.s. will watch video later.
you should post in the 'i just learned a new move' thread.
its nice to get praise from people who know how much work it takes to learn juggling and if nothing else, it offers a good place to keep a running record of your progress smile

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

Yeah, keep doing that if you want them to pick up on how much it annoys you, then they'll probably just keep on with the harassing. There are better ways to work out stuff like that.

Well, you're certainly a lot better than I am at juggling clubs - I can barely keep a 3 club cascade going most of the time. Oh for a life at school with plenty of time again wink

okay just alittle followup on being harrassed I am no longer dealing with these kids abouve because I have the whole basketball court instead of the minigym

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
I hate reading this thread

Its so full of angst and bad vibes and reactionary posting

we need cantus....

T frown

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
Written by: [Nx?

]
I hate reading this thread

don't read it then wink hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
"you all have knobs dont you? well use them!"

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

I have a good laugh at this thread from time to time, in an ironic sense, it's only a forum, don't take it so seriously

mark

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
My university Juggling Society had a workshop with children yesterday, and with me being the only decent juggler, I taught a lot of the toss-juggling stuff. At the end, one kid came up to me and said -

"Are you meant to be in a circus?".

Slightly confused by this, as not sure of my calling in life, I simply replied with "yes".

... and then I kicked that little fool in the face.

Garfield would be proud.

(Note - only 90% of the above is true)

Willy - is bad for your health...

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
haha no

well first of all Depending on how old the kid is if between the ages of 4-7 than he probably was asking if you were in the circus

having 14 cousins between 3 and 11 you learn to understand the jiberish of youngsters

if they were older than that than they probably just misworded their sentence

and the garfield comment isn't funny you don't say that about little kids who aren't that old I am against the circus but understand little kids and I have time and patience I have a little cousin who's 6 or 7 years old I'm not really sure cause I think he just had a birthday but he enjoys juggling and wants to learn how, same as my cousin who's 12 apparently he started trying with tennis balls when he got home from christmas where I juggled for my family

you should have patience with young children the people I don't have patience with are the ones that do stuff like that just to be a jerk and none other.

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
Duuuuuuude wave how come you admire Jason Garfield so much?? And keep on quoting him, his he your idol? Do you want to be him?

How come you never post about Thomas Dietz and the stuff he does, Thomas loved Jason Garfield and then completely overtook him?

What's this preoccupation you have with people asking you about the circus etc. Why do you hate it so much, I've had so many cousins when I was younger (at13/14 with fire torches) having a laugh about me going to the circus. Doesn't bother me much...what would you prefer, people saying that you're crap and not worth going onto the circus or something?

Nice flats btw. I can't do them for as long as that but mine are much cleaner and less wall plane-ish.

I'm really surprised that after spending so much time learning clubs and flats etc. that you are so blunt and ignorant of what we (other posters on this thread, and some of the other threads you've started) have to say. Most of the jugglers I know are always too happy to share tricks and have a laugh. Bit then again, there's a first time for everything...

juggle

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
Written by: hexagonic

Duuuuuuude wave how come you admire Jason Garfield so much?? And keep on quoting him, his he your idol? Do you want to be him?

How come you never post about Thomas Dietz and the stuff he does, Thomas loved Jason Garfield and then completely overtook him?

What's this preoccupation you have with people asking you about the circus etc. Why do you hate it so much, I've had so many cousins when I was younger (at13/14 with fire torches) having a laugh about me going to the circus. Doesn't bother me much...what would you prefer, people saying that you're crap and not worth going onto the circus or something?

Nice flats btw. I can't do them for as long as that but mine are much cleaner and less wall plane-ish.

I'm really surprised that after spending so much time learning clubs and flats etc. that you are so blunt and ignorant of what we (other posters on this thread, and some of the other threads you've started) have to say. Most of the jugglers I know are always too happy to share tricks and have a laugh. Bit then again, there's a first time for everything...

juggle

allow me to begin by adressing the circus issue I believe there is a confusion where about 90-95% of all people think all jugglers are in the circus I and trying to break this chain

And about the flats that was a pretty terrible run I normally can do them much better but that was all I have on film

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
What about the JG idolization??

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
what about it????

Page: ...